Need some advice. Ready for a turbo

Kanman

Registered
Hey all, long time reader, I just never post.

Have recently decided its time for a turbo bike. My question: should I go with my older bike (05' currently) and wouldn't mind possibly stepping up to an 08'. Previously I generally purchase a new bike every 2 or 3 years.

My main concern is parts availability at this point. Would I be making a mistake "aftermarket availability" wise by upgrading to an 08' this early in the game?

I am committed to stage 1 all the way, nothing too wild as I ride the bike daily. Brand preferences would be appreciated, and why please?

How many miles are you your current bike?
Are you happy with the bike "as is"?
What other goals do you have in mind?

IMO if finances are not an issue, starting with "new" is always a nice alternative...

on the other hand, I am getting more and more into the suspension thing and the money saved by using your current bike could be used to upgrade the wheels and suspension on the Gen1 bike..

pics?

it is going to cost more on an 08 to turbo for anything over 4 pounds of boost
youll need new valves and new valve springs for starters and lower the compression (12.5:1 is way to high for much boost)
id go with the older busa IMHO
id also look at adding secondaries to a stage one kit as it will make the bike alot more reliable

i would stick with the bike you have
beerchug.gif

Get a good kit RCC, Steadmans, Velocity, if you do the install yourself great, but have it tuned I mean have a custom map done for your bike thats the most important step to a trouble free ride and if your running stock comprestion absolutly do not go over 6psi boost

IMO, keep the bike you have. RCC are really nice kits. You cannot beat Richards customer service. If you have a question he is always there to answer,even at weird hours. Quality fuel map is the key.

I have an RCC kit I got thru motorhead and have been flawless for 3 yrs. Loving it running 7.5 lbs all day long!

Hey all, thanks for the replies/advice. Sounds like the RCC kit might be the way to go.

Sticking with the stage 1 kit for the moment (I have begun to see the light via the stage 2's lol) but I really do want to keep the bike as well behaved as possible. Would I benefit from a little bigger injector with the stage 1 kit, or does that get me into the wrenching daily routine? Don't get me wrong, I am fully capable and willing to wrench on the bike myself, but I also refuse to ride around with a screw driver in my back pocket like the Harley guys did back in the 70's.

Does the airbox mod become a good idea with turbo and custom tune?
Are secondaries a better choice over bigger sticks for a street bike?
At what point does intercooler become a necessity?

I spent about 2 hours reading on megasquirts site last night. I am just freakin confused at this point lol.

beerchug.gif

Stage ones rely on a rising rate regulator to increase fuel pressure to meet the fueling needs of the turbo'd motor under boost. These fmu's are finicky and unreliable. I know, I have one. Look up posts in the search section on begi or fmu and you'll see all the tuning problems people have had with the begi's. Secondaries (megasquirt and microtech) are reliable, predictable and safe. They also allow for the 4 stock injectors to be able to run their normal fuel pressure. They just plain work better. However, the begi will work, and it's cheap. If you have the cash buy the secondaries and don't look back. You'll skip the headaches and you'll never outgrow them.

Stage ones rely on a rising rate regulator to increase fuel pressure to meet the fueling needs of the turbo'd motor under boost. These fmu's are finicky and unreliable. I know, I have one. Look up posts in the search section on begi or fmu and you'll see all the tuning problems people have had with the begi's. Secondaries (megasquirt and microtech) are reliable, predictable and safe. They also allow for the 4 stock injectors to be able to run their normal fuel pressure. They just plain work better. However, the begi will work, and it's cheap. If you have the cash buy the secondaries and don't look back. You'll skip the headaches and you'll never outgrow them.
sorry to hear you have problems with your fmu. not all people have problems though. Rcc uses his own fmu not a begi and has ZERO problems with that set-up. that is what i am running and it works great. tuning is no problem either. use the fmu to set your base pressure at 43 or so psi and the rest of your adjustments with the power commander. my bike runs great at all rpms and throttle positions in boost or out. it is a great trouble-free set-up
thumb_up.gif

Back