Need Rv Advice

RedBusarider

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I'm considering the purchase of a USED RV. Thinking Motorhome Class A.
This is what I'm thinking about - Leaving my very cold non motorcycle friendly State during the Winter months. Probably 4-6 months at a time.
I WILL be pulling my trailer, with bikes etc. That is one reason I'm thinking Motorhome vs. 5th wheel. With the 5th wheel I couldn't pull my trailer too.
I'm thinking diesel for better pulling power and gas mileage. I'm thinking around 35-39 ft in length as my trailer is 22 feet ball to tail - need room for
the ramp door to fold down and get the bikes out too. I assume not all trailer parks allow a 45 ft vehicle with a trailer.
Slides (at least 2) seem like they would be most welcome for a 4-6 month stay. May very well move from one area or state to another during the Winter.

Most of my travels would be solo.

Any advice would be welcome as I consider moving forward. Probably looking to purchase this Summer or Fall and start using in Nov or Dec of this year.

Personal question (if you would like to share).
What is your occupation that allows you to be that mobile?

Personal question (if you would like to share).
What is your occupation that allows you to be that mobile?

Retired.

So I want to travel and/or get out of the cold weather during the Wintertime that keeps me from one of my pleasures in life - riding a motorcycle.

I recommend a diesel pusher if you are going to tow a heavy trailer.

Also, if you have no experience with RVs and buy a used one have an experienced person look the RV over. There are many complicated systems which can be easily screwed up by someone if they don't maintain or use them properly. Used motor homes are far cheaper than new ones.

If you want a new one I would recommend attending a few RV/Camping shows so you can see as many in one place as possible. Selection of an RV is a highly personal thing and there are so many options out there. At a show you can see many RVs from different manufacturers to get a feel for what you are looking for. When my wife and I bought our first travel trailer 13 years ago we must have looked at over 200 RVS before we found one that suited us. We did such a good job the first time we traded it in on an updated version of the exact same model 2 years ago.

Most class A come very well equipped. Be careful because it's easy to overbuy one with features you don't need.

Good luck!

^^^ Completely agree. If you want to go to the largest RV show in America check out prvca.org, it's a huge annual show in Hershey Pennsylvania. Have always wanted to go, but have never been able to. It's September 14 - 18 this year.

Thanks guys, but I'm pretty sure I will be only able to afford a used one - as many new ones are well north of $100K.

Looking at the latest and greatest is nice but if I can only afford a 10 year old unit then I might as well look only at those.
Not sure how fast technology changes in the RV market (is it the same as the car market?) but I'm probably more interest in usable features
over gold plated door knobs and such things.

Do any of you have a large RV and tow a trailer? Do you have to park the trailer someplace far away out of sight?

I hear you! I'd still advise going to an RV show or shows to see what you like then use a site like rvtrader.com or even eBay to see if you can find an older model. If nothing else you'll have a better understanding of the feature buzzwords.

My wife and I bought a 30' travel trailer when we were renting for me to use as an office/man-cave when her daughter and children came to live with us. I pulled it with a diesel Excursion so I don't have Class A RV experience.

As for the RV parking, it depends on the park and if you are in a back in or pull through space. My wife and I lived in a RV park for a month between renting and closing on a new house and in this particular park there was room to park two cars off the street in front of the camping spot for our back in space. Some places my have enough room to put the trailer on the grass to the side, others maybe behind the camper. In the pull through spaces it was not uncommon to see diesel pushers with tow vehicles. We saw everything from compact cars to full size pickups behind RVs and none of them hung out in the road. I consider the park we stayed in to be a mix of residential and travelers.

If you go somewhere like Florida you'll find a lot of snowbird RV parks that have more features and more space because they cater to long term renters but charge higher rent. Campgrounds like KOA can be cheaper but vary in the size of the sites so do your research before you take off.

+1 on a diesel pusher especially if your pulling a trailer. We've been all over the USA, Mexico [NEVER AGAIN] and Canada with our toyhauler. Many of our friends and acquaintances we've met have shared our hauling preferences and almost all say diesel when pulling anything behind your RV.
Check out rv.net for info and tips .
This will be our 16th year with ours. Only way to travel IMHO

TH 9-9-15 #1.JPG

Last mexico trip 5 yrs ago [by MC] we were shook down by their police. Stopped us and said they were looking for drugs and quote "WE WILL DEFINITELY FIND SOME" and put out his hand. Ended giving about $100 before he put his hand in his pocket and walked away. Went straight to the border and will NEVER set foot in that filthy corrupt $#!& hole again
Al infierno con mexico y su gobierno corrupto.

Back