Need mustang advice - 2001 Roush 02 2007 GT?

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
So we are looking for a newer car for my 17 year old.

Does anyone know anything about a 2001 Roush (Ford Mustang GT with the Roush package) ?

Would like to get input as to reliability and any other thoughts.

More detailed explanation below.

I kicked my son down my 91 camaro last year and he has been doing fine with it. very mature, I have friends that work for the local PD who keep an eye out for him and I am always told when ever he is seen he never speeds, always drive safe. so I dont have any worries about getting him a nicer car.

With that said, we saw 2 differant cars and know of a third one.

first up:

2001 Roush (Mustang GT with an authentic Roush package)

Car is sweet, I want it. Covertable, 79k miles on it. $11,900

Oh yeah, it is a stage 2

This is basically what it looks like, except the one we are looking at is silver and it has an in dash DVD with pop out screen

Second car up:

2007 Mustang GT

32k miles on it, $13,500

2007 Mustang GT

Unknown miles or price. The car was out getting the windows tinted.

My son likes the look of the 2005 and newer Mustangs, but that Roush is sweet looking. our only concern is the milage and it seems most Roush's we are looking at on the internet are low milage. doesnt seem they are street driven much.

The newer 1 Ron,classic retro stylin,very comfy chassis, AND the aftermarket is blowing up for these things.

I'd do the '07...less maintenance than the vert, less chance it has had a hard life, and prolly cheaper to insure. the only problem I've heard about the 3v motors is the sparkplugs...but by '07 that isue may have been corrected. either or...both badazz cars:beerchug: (hopefully neither are automatic...ruins the "feel":whistle:

The good thing about the Roush is that all the performance parts were most likely done at the dealer and not a wannabe mechanic. I'd ask for paper work on that to be on the safe side though. The bad, like said above, you don't know what kind of life it had. 70xxx miles and the owner is getting rid of it, I'd do a good inspection on her. Could be an awsome car, but that the thing about buying used. Hell, you could buy a chevette that;s had a rough life. I think wihich ever one he gets, he will love. My personel choice if everything checks out would be the Roush.

My Dad thought I would be ready and mature enough to handle a 1991 Mustang Gt when I was 17. I had wrapped around around a tree with-in two weeks. Girlfriend fractured her wrist. It was ugly.

Sounds like he's a good kid and w/ the help of some watchful eyes....he'll be reminded of the how cool a Dad he has to even consider a car like this for him at his age. :whistle:

The Roush was owned by a little old lady from Alameda :D

Actually I had them run a car fax, no accidents, 1 owner. Person moved from the Bay area down to where I live and traded it in.

They said they replaced the intake manifold because the thermostat housing was cracked. The guy said there was a recall on it but he missed getting it done under the recall and had to pay for it out of pocket.

I'd love the Roush myself :) How cool to have one at 17!?!

You'll likely have less issues with a newer vehicle, but kids today are so rotten...I thought it was written somewhere that we all need that first-car clunker that has carburetor issues LOL Even if that first car is a muscle car, it's supposed to not start right away, have cracked seats, dulled dash :laugh:

The Roush... :thumbsup: Of course pics of each would be nice too...

My Dad thought I would be ready and mature enough to handle a 1991 Mustang Gt when I was 17. I had wrapped around around a tree with-in two weeks. Girlfriend fractured her wrist. It was ugly.

Sounds like he's a good kid and w/ the help of some watchful eyes....he'll be reminded of the how cool a Dad he has to even consider a car like this for him at his age. :whistle:

Like I said, a normal 17 year old I probably would not conisder it. But my son is.. well for lack of a better word, awesome.

I think a big part of the trust is he and I lift weights together on a daily basis. I am dad first, but I would consider him my friend also, and he feels the same about me and we can and do talk about everything. he has proven to me in the past that he seeks my guidence and 9 times out of 10 follows my advice (yeah I know, odd for a 17 year old, but that is why I trust him)

And I would not consider it for his first car, but he has been driving my 91 camaro for almost a year now with no incidents and I live in a small town and I often get feed back on his driving habits from friends, and never a bad feedback.

I've always liked the roush, most likely the owner took care of it since the purchase price was way higher than normal mustang. Most people don't justify the extra cash for the roush.

Like I said, a normal 17 year old I probably would not conisder it. But my son is.. well for lack of a better word, awesome.

I think a big part of the trust is he and I lift weights together on a daily basis. I am dad first, but I would consider him my friend also, and he feels the same about me and we can and do talk about everything. he has proven to me in the past that he seeks my guidence and 9 times out of 10 follows my advice (yeah I know, odd for a 17 year old, but that is why I trust him)

And I would not consider it for his first car, but he has been driving my 91 camaro for almost a year now with no incidents and I live in a small town and I often get feed back on his driving habits from friends, and never a bad feedback.

Good to hear :thumbsup:

Rousch.....although it is the oldest of the group, it is by far the best.

1. limited edition mustange hold value very well, especially the Saleen and Rousch cars they are much rarer than the SVT's....the Cobra and Bullits

2. the car has top notch suspension mods already, if you get the other cars you will paying to mod the thing in a few months....increasing your cash outlay.

3. the car already has body kit, big wheels....and a very nice interior interior....even custom seats.

i have 130k miles on my 2001, still reliable and fun to drive....lost a A/C compressor last month($400.00), no other problems, just routine maintenance.

The Rousch Mustang is monster and absolutely beautiful if he is that mature behind the wheel at that age he will love it:thumbsup:

I would not have made it to 18 with it I was a menace with delusions of invincibility till was 21:laugh:

as a stage two...it will not have the HP the stage three has. the motor should be standard GT mustang, it is the interior, exterior styling package that sets it apart. not to mention the upgraded suspension.

one major factor to think about....this is a big dollar car, not something you would buy brand new for a young kid. most likely it was taken care of.(unless it was owned by a spoiled rich kid). so i would fell better about this car than a newer GT.

I looked into the aftermarket mustangs before getting the Busa in 06. I didn't see a lot of performance for the money.

Buy what you like, but I would vote the '07. I'll bet it makes more ponies.

Well both are pretty nice cars and the older roush holds a bit of value but the newer gt is a sweet ride too, you may also want to check out the insurance rates for both. I'd say if he's been responsible get him what he wants. the newer mustangs do have more in the name of safety purposes too something to keep in mind. hope that helps.

i like both models, just pick which ever your heart tells ya, i dont think youll go wrong with either one though...:thumbsup:

Well both are pretty nice cars and the older roush holds a bit of value but the newer gt is a sweet ride too, you may also want to check out the insurance rates for both. I'd say if he's been responsible get him what he wants. the newer mustangs do have more in the name of safety purposes too something to keep in mind. hope that helps.

Good advice; just be sure to check out the insurance rates as they could be a shocker....

I'd say go for it, bottom line it's a Ford, so if something does break it's not going to hurt to bad.

+1 for Roush, saw a lot of them in Tampa and they looked good!

I'd go for the 07 and skip the Roush.

Lemme rationalize why: I prefer the new bodystyle over the older one and more stock hp. I really like the body kits on the Roush but fact is, the new GT looks awesome. So much so I bought one.

Now, if you could get an 07 Roush, that'd be the ticket (in more ways than 1).

Back