Need lowering Advice

grabntwist

The one who started it all
Donating Member
Registered
Hello everyone, I need advice on a lowering setup I have in mind. I'm thinking of only lowering the front of the Busa. I really like the twisties, but I also like to have some seat time at the track. Could I gain any anti-wheelie attruibutes at the track by just doin' this? I think so, but want to check if anyone has tryed it. I have already ran high 9s w/ stock wheelbase and suspension set up. The reason I choose to lower the front only because it can be easily done w/ straps. I know a tripple clamp repl. is better but I need to retain a very STOCK appearance. To be quite honest I don't feel like messin' w/ links all day long. Guess I want the best of both worlds. Thanks in advance to everyone...

You could get the adjustable links that you can adjust up and down for the rear. They are high though, around $100 to $150. I have the plain lowering links in the rear now and strap the front. I do only use the middle hole, I want a billet oil pan so I can drop her as low as possible though. The benefit I saw from lowering the rear was that it allowed me to stand over the bike better and launch harder. I also think that it rides better now.
cool.gif

Ok, I wish to God I knew where I read this, but unfortunately I can't remember. It was an article, either online or in one of the mags. It wasn't just a post somewhere by someone. I'm gonna share it anyway and then maybe someone who actually knows about suspension can verify it or debunk it...

I read that lowering only the front end changes suspension geometry and takes away from steering stability. Wait a second...

Ok, I done a search of the net using the keywords "motorcycle suspension trail rake" and found this link:

Steering Geometry

Click the link and scroll down to the second section called "Geometry Change". The first two paragraphs in that section comfirm what I read elsewhere. By lowering the front you simulate compression of the front suspension and reduce trail, making it less stable.

The kicker is, if you also lower the rear, you increase the trail again, gaining back some or all of your stability. In the other article I read they had line drawings that illustrated how this works. If I can find it I'll scan and post it or post a link.

So, if you lower the front only, according to this article and the other one I read you could hurt stability.
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074353461 -->

If you are only lowering the front to Drag Race then go with a STRAP ($20)!

If you plan to ride all the time with the front lower then you need a Triple Tree plate ($200). Period!

As for lowering the rear, it really isn't hard at all. As long as you have a rear stand and small floor jack, it will take less than 10-minutes! Well worth the time/money spent for quicker 1/4 mile times! Plus rear links are only like $30 (Adj. $100-200).

Josh
blues.gif

I don't notice any stabilty problems well into the triple digits.... lowered 2" rear/1.5" front.
rock.gif

I don't notice any stabilty problems well into the triple digits.... lowered 2" rear/1.5" front.
rock.gif
That's because you lowered the rear too, bro. As I said, if you only lower the front it is less stable. If you also lower the rear you regain the lost trail and gain back stability.
wink.gif

Thanks BT,very helpful advice. Everyone else, thanks but I know how to lower a Busa and Im aware of the pros/cons of straps and the different links that are available for the Busa. Josh ease up a bit,you're gettin' a bit loud. I guess Bullet and fstbusa were the only ones that read my thread. <span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Now, as I posted above, I NEED ADVICE ON A LOWERING SETUP. Not how to lower, or prices of components to lower the bike. If I were worried about prices my bike would still be stock. (see "MY MODS" tread). I better make this one short because I know parts of it will be mis read and It will turn into a whole new post.</span> and btw, Bullet, you never have to worry about me stealling your avitar .
laugh.gif

I thought I was talking about the setup? I didn't tell you how to setup, just merely the setup I had and the reasons. Hell just be glad you got a response, most of the post couldn't get a response if you were paid to post.

Here's what I read : mostpostmostpostmostmostpostpostpost--response--mostpostposthere1/4misection...
rock.gif
j/k
laugh.gif
thanks anyway man I apprieciate all your help.

Thanks BT,very helpful advice. Everyone else, thanks but I know how to lower a Busa and Im aware of the pros/cons of straps and the different links that are available for the Busa. Josh ease up a bit,you're gettin' a bit loud. I guess Bullet and fstbusa were the only ones that read my thread.  <span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Now, as I posted above, I NEED ADVICE ON A LOWERING SETUP. Not how to lower, or prices of components to lower the bike. If I were worried about prices my bike would still be stock. (see "MY MODS" tread). I better make this one short because I know parts of it will be mis read  and It will turn into a whole new post.</span>   and btw, Bullet, you never have to worry about me stealling your avitar .  
laugh.gif
ok here is the setup for a good street/strip setup

these links are sold by a vendor on my site for 119.00, they have 1/2" fine threads instead if the easy to break 3/8"

also the same vendor has this tripple clamp in chrome for $225.00

check it out here and you can pay by paypal.

<!--EDIT|gixxer1300r
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074406813 -->

ok here is the setup for a good street/strip setup

these links are sold by a vendor on my site for 119.00, they have 1/2" fine threads instead if the easy to break 3/8"

also the same vendor has this tripple clamp in chrome for $225.00

check it out here and you can pay by paypal.
I got Speedlinks from Schnitz. Wish I had gone with those. I haven't installed them yet. Maybe I could eBay 'em and get me some of those.
rock.gif
wink.gif

Thanks BT,very helpful advice...
No problem. Glad to help.
beerchug.gif
here is the links from my site compared to the speedlinks from schnitz

these links can be bought off gotperformance.org
or from Dennis (the motorhead) over at suzukihayabusa.org he is also a got performance dealer.

I figured the links must be good, went Quinten sent him the sample to look at the first thing Dennis did with them was put them on his personal 480hp turbo street bike.

I haven't used any adjustable lowering links but I was told buy a reputable busa builder that the problem with those is when the bike is slammed there is only a few threads holding onto the thing and when its stock height the things are screwed all the way in. This is just what I was told. I chose dogbones cuz they were cheap and I'm not going to be adjusting them all the time.

I second that fstbusa, I always figured it be a bitch to get each side just right, with them bones' no guessing involved.
cool.gif

grabntwist,

You need to clarify setup?  How do you ride and what are you looking to do?

With my 01 Busa I had no problems with 1.5" down in front and 2" down in the rear all the time.  No stability issues and it handled great.  You do loose a little lean clearance but that isn't my main style of riding.  With my 03 I slam it when I drag it and put it back to stock for normal riding.  

If you're asking about the steering/suspension geometery stuff I can't help you with that.

Sorry for being LOUD! j/k
tounge.gif

Josh
blues.gif

<!--EDIT|Got-Busa?
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074628434 -->

grabntwist,

You need to clarify setup?  How do you ride and what are you looking to do?

With my 01 Busa I had no problems with 1.5" down in front and 2" down in the rear all the time.  No stability issues and it handled great.  You do loose a little lean clearance but that isn't my main style of riding.  With my 03 I slam it when I drag it and put it back to stock for normal riding.  

If you're asking about the steering/suspension geometery stuff I can't help you with that.

Sorry for being LOUD! j/k
tounge.gif

Josh
blues.gif
Hey Josh, I was asking if anyone knew about setting up a Busa with just the front lowered, for the  1/4 mi track. I guess set-up was a bad word maybe "suspension setting" would bring clarity to the question.  

The reason I want to go with just lowering straps in the front for track use is that I was wondering if it were a simple fix for wheelie control. Although its not optimal, its best for me. I ride with a group of extremely competetive riders that claim their bikes are "stock".  None of them are, while I make the same claim of mine I need to retain a stock appearance as much as I can afford to. You've been drag racing before so you probably know that secrets are "the name of the game".

Most of my seat time consists of street riding, although I go to the track about twice a month. So I really don't want to commit to a lowered bike all the time and I'm not too crazy about the lowereing links that are available. I was interested in just dropping the front with straps (easy on - easy off) . I just wanted to know if anyone had tryed this and what their thoughts were.

BTW nosweat about that loud thing just trying to get my point across.  
beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1074641817 -->

Back