Need instruction on how to remove real axle

loosen chain adjusters, (12mm & 10mm end wrenches), remove cotter pin from nut side of the axle, remove nut, smack with a deadblow hammer.

Done.

more specifically, what tool do i put up next to & knock out the axle with (other than rubber mallet/hammer)?

If you don't have a deadblow hammer, just lay a chunk of 2X4 against the axle and hit that. Just don't hit the end of the axle directly with a hammer... not good.:laugh:

Rubber mallet. I sit on my butt and throw my foot under the tire to help. Couple good wacks and the a little tug with the left hand. Don't throw it on a dirty garage floor.

I don't take the chain adjusters loose even. That way you don't have to go through re-setting your chain slack when you put it back together.

I don't take the chain adjusters loose even. That way you don't have to go through re-setting your chain slack when you put it back together.

Isn't it a pain in the ass to get the wheel off if the adjusters are tight? I would think that it would be more of a struggle this way? I have always loosened the adjusters to give me that much more play with the wheel to get it off. I am always looking for better ways to do things though, so educate us please sir :)

Rubber mallet. I sit on my butt and throw my foot under the tire to help. Couple good wacks and the a little tug with the left hand. Don't throw it on a dirty garage floor.

This is the way I do mine also, And as Hillbilly stated do not take the adjusters loose, Knock the axle out a ways and then you can pull the adjuster blocks out without having to loosen adjusters, And I like to also take my chain guard off and put some blue painters tape down the swingarm on chain side and then after you take axle most of the way out you can slide wheel forward and pull chain off and lay it down and around swingarm, The blue tape down swingarm will keep you from scratching it, Also put plenty of blue tape on caliper side of rear wheel, That way when pulling it off you will not scratch the wheel. It is almost impossible not to scratch it otherwise.

i was gonna take it to the shop this morning but when i got there, he already left for the day. i go to the hayabusa board, find out how to do it and finished it in 20 minutes. thanks for the help everyone. here's the finished pic.

roadlock1.JPG

Isn't it a pain in the ass to get the wheel off if the adjusters are tight? I would think that it would be more of a struggle this way? I have always loosened the adjusters to give me that much more play with the wheel to get it off. I am always looking for better ways to do things though, so educate us please sir :)

Nope, much easier process as a whole this way. Take the nut off and push the axle out as normal, then your wheel is free to move however you need.
The time saver part comes on re-instal. Put everything back together as normal, pull the wheel all the way back to get the adjuster blocks in the swingarm, then.. just push the wheel forward against your pre-set adjuster bolts, and tighten the axle nut. Voila! Chain slack set, wheel straight, your done.
This is the way every flat rate shop mechanic in the world does it. Wondered how the guy up the street could take a bike around to change a tire and be back in 15 minutes done. Watched him do one and it was the "ah hah" moment. Been doing them like this ever since.:thumbsup:

Nope, much easier process as a whole this way. Take the nut off and push the axle out as normal, then your wheel is free to move however you need.
The time saver part comes on re-instal. Put everything back together as normal, pull the wheel all the way back to get the adjuster blocks in the swingarm, then.. just push the wheel forward against your pre-set adjuster bolts, and tighten the axle nut. Voila! Chain slack set, wheel straight, your done.
This is the way every flat rate shop mechanic in the world does it. Wondered how the guy up the street could take a bike around to change a tire and be back in 15 minutes done. Watched him do one and it was the "ah hah" moment. Been doing them like this ever since.:thumbsup:

Sounds good to me, thanks for the help. I will be trying this out the next time the wheel comes off the rear. I was originally thinking that the chain would hold the wheel in because you did not loosen the adjusters. Then I realized that once the axle is out, there is nothing holding the wheel back against the adjusters. Now it makes sense.

Back