Need information on PMR switch.

Darkflame

Registered
Hello everyone!

I spent the last weekend redoing the wiring in my bike due to some lovely comments on my ghetto wiring schemes.

I am now looking into getting the PMR switchset for my 03 busa.

I have a few questions regarding the switches.

1. I understand the back of the switch is open?. Does this pose a problem for rain? I'm wondering if the rain will cause shorts.

2. When wiring the switches, I presume I will be using ground as the switch wire correct?

3. Are the three switches independent of themselves (ie not commonly grounded to one another)

My utlimate goal will be to have 1 switch control my laser jammer, 1 switch to control my radar detector and the last switch will toggle my gps unit.

The reason I ask if rain is a concern is because I don't want my devices powering off and on due to water getting in the unit.

If anyone has any more information please let me know!

I hope to have my purchase made by today to hopefully have a new toy in time for the weekend. I don't want to be tearing my bike apart again on a work day :D

Oh before I forget.........

Thanks!!! :)

1. I understand the back of the switch is open?. Does this pose a problem for rain? I'm wondering if the rain will cause shorts.

YES the switch is open on the back.. I suggest you "solder" the wires and "silicone" the back.. the front is still vulnerable to moisture..

2. When wiring the switches, I presume I will be using ground as the switch wire correct?

Depends on what you are wiring but typically you will be switching the "hot" wire.. horns circuits are one of the few switched "ground" circuits I have seen..

3. Are the three switches independent of themselves (ie not commonly grounded to one another)

Yes, you can use any combo of switches.. (any mini switch will work 1/2 X 3/4 I think..)

How much of a problem can moisture be?...I'm a "ride anytime, rain or shine" kind of guy...sometimes i'll be riding in monsoons so to speak :D

I havn't had a problem with any of the onboard switches on my bike thus far. But 200ma can kill a man, I can't imagine toying with 3amps or 10 as it's rated. LOL

I bought a waterproof marine switch to mount for my laser jammer but jesus the switch was so huge I think i'll be the laughing stock of hawaii if I mount that sucker to my bike.

Any advice on alternatives?. Was gonna do the iceman toggle switch with boot but given that switches come in so many varieties and sizes, I was afraid of just ordering a bunch of switches hoping to find the right one.

I'm not exactly rollin in the G's but i'll invest more money into something if it translates into pay more now, pay less later.

I have ridden mine in some heavy downpours and not had any problems, but I would recommend silicone on the back of the switch.

I have ridden mine in some heavy downpours and not had any problems, but I would recommend silicone on the back of the switch.

Just what I wanted to hear.

Thanks!

Any particular type of silicone I should look for?

Last I checked there was a ton of different types..

any type should work fine, black will at least hide the most..

I just got an email saying PMR has moved and their phones and internet are all screwed up.

My switch will be shipped overnight!

I have already removed the dispute.

These guys have already had a tough enough time.

Will be contacting a mod to remove my earlier post.

glad it worked out i had never had a problem with those guys and was wondering what the deal was

PMR just took my money and went out of business.

Call their number.

It's disconnected.

It is lame that they left the website up to collect your credit card info and charge your card, yet phone and email are disconnected.:disagree:

Hope you hesitated on pulling the trigger.

I just opened a credit card dispute.
how did you come up with "They went out of business" just because the phone did not work?

Back