Need help!!!!

ruffrydah1983

Registered
I just layed my Busa down. I downshifted after getting off an exit on the highway and the engine shut off and the back tired locked up. I almost brought it to a stop but still layed it down. Does anyone know what could have caused that? I have to drive it back tomorrow and i dont want the same thing to happen while going 60-70mph. Thanks a lot!!!

PS: are you suppossed to have the choke switch on while you're riding or not?

It was idling at around 1200 before but i took it to the shop (needed a fuse replaced) and after that it's idle at around 850 or so. I thought it was strage at first too but don't think they would have messed with it.

No you shouldn't be riding with the fast idle on and it sounds like that because your idle rpm was so low the bike just died like you said with the gear change...It has happened before but most of the time its when a rider is approaching a stop...Sorry this happened to you...

Mine a has stalled before on me, but never had the tire lock up on me
sad.gif
I hope you were not hurt

If the bike was in motion your engine rpm was a helluva lot higher than 1200. To lock up the tire you had to be screaming in a low gear (or on gravel) as the backtorque limiter would help you maintain control at a moderate speed if the engine died out or you snapped the throttle shut.

You said you "almost brought it to a stop", so while this was going on I'd assume you had the clutch pulled in as it sounds like it took a while before going down?
If the clutch was pulled in and the tire locked up, something in the drive train locked up. I wouldn't get on the bike again until I found out what was wrong.

I guess the last scenerio would be you pulled the clutch in for an extended length of time with the throttle closed before down shifting and the low engine rpm caused the bike to die out and then you let the clutch back out with a dead engine. If that's what happened...well no offense, but it's time for an MSF course.

I think Turbo hit it on the head. I hope you held in the clutch. My engine died on me when I was on the interstate after a high-rev but I just held in the clutch and started her again at 70 mph, no prob.

what year is the bike...not all busas came with the BTE.

but yeah...time for an MSF if you were "at speed" and you went down from a locked up tire in "fair" conditions.

idle up to 1200.....no riding with the lever engaged.

In addition to the idle, is there any possiblility that you hit the kick stand or it fell?

I think Turbo hit it on the head.  I hope you held in the clutch.  My engine died on me when I was on the interstate after a high-rev but I just held in the clutch and started her again at 70 mph, no prob.
why hold the clutch in and press the start button...all you had to do was let the clutch out......just like push starting a bike with a dead battery

I just layed my Busa down.  I downshifted after getting off an exit on the highway and the engine shut off and the back tired locked up.  I almost brought it to a stop but still layed it down.  Does anyone know what could have caused that?  I have to drive it back tomorrow and i dont want the same thing to happen while going 60-70mph.  Thanks a lot!!!

PS:  are you suppossed to have the choke switch on while you're riding or not?
wht speed were you traveling when the tire locked up???

I was on the highway and downshifted from 6th to 5th (going about 50-60) and the bike kind of died on me but stated back up just like Turbo said. but then i downshifted from 5th to 3rd on the exit ramp and i guess i held the cluth too long (but i've done that before and the engine never shut off) and when i let it go the back tire locked up going about 30-35mph and the engine didnt start again. I know you can start it if the battery is dead in 2nd gear but you need a lot of speed to do it in 1st or 3rd.

The same thing happened to me before. I was riding and down shifted and my bike cut off. I adjusted the idle and it never happened again.

I was on the highway and downshifted from 6th to 5th (going about 50-60) and the bike kind of died on me but stated back up just like Turbo said. but then i downshifted from 5th to 3rd on the exit ramp and i guess i held the cluth too long (but i've done that before and the engine never shut off) and when i let it go the back tire locked up going about 30-35mph and the engine didnt start again. I know you can start it if the battery is dead in 2nd gear but you need a lot of speed to do it in 1st or 3rd.
From the sound of it, you didn't "hold the clutch too long" and kill the bike. There were a few things that all happened within a short span and caused this.

1. Idle was too low which resulted in the bike dying.

2. You didn't realize it had died because you coasted with the clutch lever pulled. I'm assuming you were downshifting and using engine braking at the time this all took place.

3. When you released the clutch lever, the engine grabbed (which felt like a lock-up) and you weren't expecting it, resulting in dumping the Busa.

sad.gif

The difference between push starting a bike and starting the bike at speed by popping the clutch is huge. Push starting you're under 25 miles an hour, you're expecting a little hesitation from the rear tire, and you're listening for the engine to growl to life.

In addition, you really don't want to pop the clutch at speed. You would either engage the clutch and try to restart the bike via the starter (preferred method), coast the bike to a safe stop, or coast the bike to a safe speed around 20mph and pop the clutch. Regardless, you'd want to pull over shortly thereafter and examine the bike, it's idle and etc to identify the "problem".

<!--EDIT|HT_USMC
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144698375 -->

no...there is something wrong other than the bike idle too low if the tire locked up at 30mph......a trick my friends and i play is to ride close to the right side of the next guys bike, reach over and flip his engine shut down switch off while he's driving......if he's a novice, he wont know what the hell to do....so he'll pull off the road and try and figure it out....funny as hell...all you have to do is flip it back on...no need to pull in the clutch...anyway the back tire has never locked up on me or anyone else at 30mph...thats more than enough inertia to turn the engine over with the clutch engaged...(ever tried removing the front sproket...easy to turn the engine with just a wrench) either he was doin like 5-8mph with the clutch engaged (not enough speed to turn the engine causing tire to lock) or there is something serious wrong with the bike

when i say clutch engaged, i mean the clutch is gripping......clutch lever is pulled to the bar.......dont know if i got it backwards but now you know what i mean....i saw someone else say engaged meaning clutch is not gripping.

<!--EDIT|psycobusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144697598 -->

Back