Need help

bajaboy169

Registered
:banghead:OK, I have been through 3 sprokets and 2 chains. I put my busa up on a rear stand, remove pin, loosen the nut, line up the lines on my swing arm, check for correct tension, engage engine while tighting the nut and I hear no clicking or rubbing. 2 days and 1200 miles later the chain is loose as hell and clicking. I limp it back to my house where I see I am missing 3 teeth again on my steel sprocket and my chain in 5 consecutive links is all jacket up missing the inner spool of the links. I don't beat on my bike just ride alot it has 132,000 miles on it so far. Can some one please help, I am broke but have alot of parts to trade if you can get me back on the road. I am in Chesapeake, Virginia
2002 busa canadian stock with K&N air filter and shorty baffeled pipes.PC3
Thanks
John

what brand sprocket and chain. are they both 520? the sprocket and chain have to match. lastly after you run a new chain for a few miles. id say 50-100 you need to recheck the tension.
even if youre hurtin for $ dont skimp on the chain or sprocket. look around the net and you can find a good chain and sprocket to put on the bike.
hope that helps

oh yeah, no need to adjust with motor running. put the bike on the stand, find the middle of the chain. move the cahin up and measure, move the chain down and measure. total movement should be 1".

oh yeah, no need to adjust with motor running. put the bike on the stand, find the middle of the chain. move the cahin up and measure, move the chain down and measure. total movement should be 1".

You might wanna look carefully at the service manual about chain tension; depending on where/how you measure at has a big effect. Also, are you measuring before or after tightening the axel bolt? Rechecking after tightening? Don't put on stand that changes the way it's supposed to be measured.

Lastly, it might not be that the chain is too tight, but that the adjustment bolts are not even on both sides. I quote (Gen II Manual):

"CAUTION: The reference marks "A" on both sides of the swingarm and the edge of each chain adjuster must be aligned to ensure the front and rear wheels are correctly aligned"...

Somethings not right this is not a well documented and common problem.

No,no with the engine running my friend....might need those fingers later in life...it's like sketching with no helmet...lol (check out the video forum)

You might wanna look carefully at the service manual about chain tension; depending on where/how you measure at has a big effect. Also, are you measuring before or after tightening the axel bolt? Rechecking after tightening? Don't put on stand that changes the way it's supposed to be measured.

Lastly, it might not be that the chain is too tight, but that the adjustment bolts are not even on both sides. I quote (Gen II Manual):

"CAUTION: The reference marks "A" on both sides of the swingarm and the edge of each chain adjuster must be aligned to ensure the front and rear wheels are correctly aligned"...

Somethings not right this is not a well documented and common problem.

+1, it should be adjusted with you sitting on the bike so the slack is correct. Sitting on the bike you can reach down and check the slack with your left hand, if it's not around 1.25" to 1.5" up/down play on the center bottom side of the chain, get off and adjust it. May take a few tries, but it works.
If you've been adjusting it on the stand, chances are it's way too tight, and that will break teeth. A chain that's overtight will also cause a bad ride, as the rear suspension can't travel and operate correctly.

I now have a DID chain MVF2 (I think) I'M on my laptop, oh I also traded and received 5 rear sprockets 39,40,42 and a 47 tooth. 17 and 19 tooth front any sugestion what rear I should use? I don't need speed over 140mph so what ya think?

use the search. someone on here had a chart that listed different combos of sprockets and top speed.

If you've been adjusting it on the stand, chances are it's way too tight, and that will break teeth. A chain that's overtight will also cause a bad ride, as the rear suspension can't travel and operate correctly.[/QUOTE]

+1 I have been told mine looks loose but when i sit on it its where its supossed to be:thumbsup:

you are using 530 chain and sprockets...right?

Do not adjust while running.

If you have a rear stand get it all set and adjusted and tightened back up on the stand. Make it a little looser than you want. Lower it off the the stand and check again.

Also you may want to measure from the swingarm pivot point or even from the rear axle pocket to the rear axle and not put a lot of faith in the adjustment lines until you are sure of how true they are on both sides.

I run a 18/39 on my Gen II and like it. In my opinion this bike has more power than I ever plan to use, so the low torque this setup provides at slow speeds is fine by me.

Back