Need help with Windows XP!

justintime2

What's your story?
Donating Member
Registered
I have tried like hell to figure this out with no sucess. My start-up file in the programs menu is empty.

With my old Windows 98SE I could drill down through the system tools and remove anything that was qued to start up automatically when the pc turned on. I can't figure out how to do that with XP and it's frustrating the hell out of me. I'm tired of closing 8 million apps I don't want when I turn on or restart.

HELP
AAAssjani.gif

-Click START
-Click RUN
-Type: msconfig
-In the GENERAL tab be sure "selective startup" is on.
-Click the STARTUP tab and you'll see what programs are starting when Windows boots. Simply uncheck those that you do not want to startup.
-Reboot after you've made the changes.

Nice work guys, superb info and I'm back in control. Now if I can just figure out what some of that crap is...
mad.gif

anybody know what "ccApp" is? it's set to run at start-up and I have no clue what it's 4?

(justintime2 @ Oct. 17 2006,21:07) Nice work guys, superb info and I'm back in control. Now if I can just figure out what some of that crap is...
mad.gif

anybody know what "ccApp" is? it's set to run at start-up and I have no clue what it's 4?
Yep. Norton Antivirus. Leave it off if you're feel like being risky...

If you ever want to find out what those processes are, because some of them have rather cryptic names - just google them. There are a few nice process identifying utils that will tell you if they're dangerous or not.

For instance - you may have a process that runs at startup called DLG.exe. You can do a Google search for that and there are various sites that will explain what it is and whether it is dangerous or not.

I cleaned up a ton of spyware that way.

(shawn @ Oct. 18 2006,23:14) If you ever want to find out what those processes are, because some of them have rather cryptic names - just google them. There are a few nice process identifying utils that will tell you if they're dangerous or not.

For instance - you may have a process that runs at startup called DLG.exe. You can do a Google search for that and there are various sites that will explain what it is and whether it is dangerous or not.

I cleaned up a ton of spyware that way.
You beat me too it. I have killed alot of start up process this way. If I dont need it..it dosnt start up in the begining. I had way too many things in the background running and it was killing my pc. Everything you load on your PC wants to start up in the begining and you really dont need any of it.

Back