Need Help with Rear Brake Adjustment

BusaBaker

Registered
Hey guys, long story short after tearing my bike down for a new tire...I found out that the rear caliper was stuck down and just grinding the pad away.

Got everything back on,new tire and new pads, bled the lines, the brake works but I have to press the pedal so far down for it to engage. How do I adjust that? I have big feet but it is a HUGE stretch on my foot just for a little braking! Can take pictures if needed!
Thanks everyone!

did you add fluid...it should engage with little travel...mine gets like that...pump it up a few more times and just double check for a nice fluid stream...no air or hissing

You either still have air in the line, a leaking connection or possibly a bad MC. My recommendation is to remove the rear brake system and forget about it. :laugh:

I was joking but that's a legit weight reduction now that I think about it! Opinions?

hahah I wish I could!! #BecauseRaceBike

My uncle talked about buying a rebuild kit but I don't know if I want to go that far into it if I don't have too!

Remove the rear brake, ha? LOL. Well, for those rare cases when you end up riding on the grass, or gravel, or the front fails...

To OP: does the pedal feel spongy, or the pedal is simply adjusted too low? Any chance you just need to adjust the pedal position? A 2 min affair.

no the pedal is empty until it's almost completely facing down towards the ground...its still usable, it still grabs, but I have to press the pedal way too far than it should be!

hahah I wish I could!! #BecauseRaceBike

My uncle talked about buying a rebuild kit but I don't know if I want to go that far into it if I don't have too!

A master cylinder rebuild kit is only around $30.
It's also an easy install. Remove a snap ring, pull out the pushrod and spring, and rubber cup seals, replace, bleed, done.

Does the pedal get closer the more you pump it? If so you still have air in the system. If not then it is time to rebuild the master cylinder. Like sixpack said, there is not much to rebuilding it.

Back