need help with my F-150 truck

birdaprey

Registered
just thinking may be some one could help me with a problem I'm having with my 2003 F-150 super crew...

the slip yoke is making a thump when I come to a stop...
I have heard that greasing it will help....
can any one help me on this........

Is it still under warrenty? If so make Ford fix it. I'm not to sure what you are talking about. Are you talking about the end of the drive shaft that goes into the transmission? If it is the only way I know of would be to drop the shaft and put some grease on the splines.

yes ,it is where the drive shaft go's in to the transmission

I have had some people tell me this is common and happens on GMC's also... but is there a better fix than the grease fix?

Worn U joint in between the shaft?

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1100671264 -->

just thinking may be  some one could help me with a problem I'm having with my 2003 F-150 super crew...

the slip yoke  is making a thump when I come to a stop...
I have heard that greasing it will help....
can any one help me on this........
Shoulda bought a Chevy...
laugh.gif
tounge.gif

My Chevy does a very similar thing. Its going back to the dealer Friday. I'll let you know what they find.

I also heard about the grease fix.

Okay,
I picked my Chevy up from the dealer today for the clunk noise. Service order reads, " found yoke on front of drive shaft binding causing concern R/R drive shaft lube front yoke with special lube reinstall drive shaft road test ok "

I guess the "special Lube " fixed it, because the clunk is gone
biggrin.gif

All performed under warranty, some of my favorite words, " NO CHARGE"
laugh.gif

Hope this helps, let us know what you find!

You sure it's the slip yoke?
rock.gif
A lot of Ford patrol cars develope a similar "thump" sound right before the tie rods go out. Feels and almost sounds like someone is hittin' the floorpan with a rubber mallet. We've had two of them separate and put the front wheel into the firewall goin' down the road. Get this checked out ASAP. If it's the yoke it shouldn't be as big of a safety deal. If it's a tie rod it could fug you up big time...

bullet train; I'm 99% it's the yoke... you only hear it one time when you come to a complete stop. thanks for your input though...

Glyn: looks like I'll be greasing it in the A.M. thanks for the follow up...

it's nice to check with others before you just try some thing your self!!!
tounge.gif

Back