Need help with front suspension and motor issues.

Lifestudent

Registered

This is my project that I bought from a friend. It runs great but sounds like a plastic fan rubbing sound coming from the right side of the motor but goes away around 3k rpm? It's not losing any power and not smoking really bad but I had one person say he thought it was a bad rod.I tried to put a video but it was apparently to big but I will figure out how to post it.

Also the front suspension has no give, its solid and feels like your hitting the rim when you hit a bump and I need to know how to fix it please. Any help will be very appreciated.

It's a beautiful bike and I hate to see it just sitting, so I'm trying to make it street ready again. I have another busa to ride but its killing me looking at it every day.

View attachment 1600318
This is my project that I bought from a friend. It runs great but sounds like a plastic fan rubbing sound coming from the right side of the motor but goes away around 3k rpm? It's not losing any power and not smoking really bad but I had one person say he thought it was a bad rod.I tried to put a video but it was apparently to big but I will figure out how to post it.

Also the front suspension has no give, its solid and feels like your hitting the rim when you hit a bump and I need to know how to fix it please. Any help will be very appreciated.
The easiest way to post a vid is to have a youtube account, upload the vid to youtube, then post the link (copy and paste the address line) on this site . . .

Is it turboed or N/A ?
If you want to really pin-point where the noise is actually coming from, get yourself one of these . . . mechanics stethoscope.

Cheap and available everywhere. (Amazon.com)

Last edited:
Re the suspension, the front forks may be overfilled with oil, causing 'hydraulic lock'.
This would be the first thing to check.
If you have little to no experience on working on forks, especially upside down forks, probably best to take it to a reputable shop to be checked over.
The forks will need to be removed, and caps removed, to check the oil level.
If the oil level is correct, then a strip down and check of the damping cartridge will be next.

First of all thank you very much to everyone taking the time to help me with these issues, I really appreciate the help. The bike is not turbo, but it has full headers with short chrome pipes at the bottom of bike, k&n air filter, and I noticed they removed the green sensor from the airbox. There is not a aftermarket power commander but could possibly be flashed. I could not figure out why they put 10s of thousands of dollars into a bike and didn't put an aftermarket power commander.
I will post the video of the bike running on YouTube tomorrow and put a link on here. It's hard to tell if its coming from the clutch basket or the motor. I just figured if it's a blown motor then is would lose power, smoke really bad, etc.
As far as the front suspension, I have never worked on any motorcycle front suspension but I am a very mechanical person and work on cars, trucks, semi, heavy equipment, etc. There is no bounce or give at all though.

If it was me,
1) I would support the bike on stands under the front area of the motor,
2) remove the front wheel,
3) refit the axle into the forks
4) remove the handlebar top plate, to gain access to the fork caps hex head.
5) unscrew the fork caps and get a light so you can see the oil level in the forks. The caps will not come away in your hand, they are connected to the dampening rod.
6) grab the axle and attempt to slide the fork stanchions up the sliders,
If the forks do NOT slide and are stuck, you most likely have a bent stanchion of damaged slider in the bush.
You could try to slide each fork leg with the axle removed, to find if it's one that is seized, or if it's both.
if the forks are NOT stuck and slide up freely, then the problem causing the rigidity is in the dampening cartridge . . . OR . . the spring is to heavy for the fork application.. . OR the oil level is too high causing hydraulic lock.
To accurately set the oil level, the spring needs to be removed and the fork compressed to the bottom. But with leaving the spring in place, you can get some idea of where the level is at. If it's close ( less than 2 inches,) to the top of the slider with the forks compressed, it's too high.
Try to remove some of the oil with a thin hose on a large syringe (get a syringe from a animal Vet practice, 60cc or larger) slide the hose down the side of the spring and start sucking it out.
The level should be 4 inches from the top, without the spring, so allow a little more for the area the spring displaces, maybe 1/4" or so.
Get both forks to the same level, screw the caps back in place and put the front wheel back on.
Take her off the stands and try the fork action, any movement??
Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Had the forks feel like that on a dirt bike. The axle was not all the way in so when they tightened axle it kinda pinched forks into a V shape and bound up the forks. Loosen the pinch bolts and bounce the front end. See if it helps.

I’d have to look in the manual but there should be a port to check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and a minimum pressure to look for. You could also cut the oil filter apart and check for excess metal. I wouldn’t be real excited to be on a bike when the motor locks up. That bike is real sharp by the way, a lot of time into the polishing!

I’d have to look in the manual but there should be a port to check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and a minimum pressure to look for. You could also cut the oil filter apart and check for excess metal. I wouldn’t be real excited to be on a bike when the motor locks up. That bike is real sharp by the way, a lot of time into the polishing!
I'm sorry but the first thing I think you should do is get 12in stretch catalyst rear end and then we can talk LOL. But have you tried to adjustments on the top of the fork the compression and rebound? We need more information for that sound you're talking about.

Also, it really shouldn’t smoke at all unless is really been beat to death. Although, I had a buddy in high school with a 600 Hurricane that burnt about a half quart of oil on every ride and never blew up so...

I'm sorry but the first thing I think you should do is get 12in stretch catalyst rear end and then we can talk LOL. But have you tried to adjustments on the top of the fork the compression and rebound? We need more information for that sound you're talking about.They were bought out
HI. Catalyst is gone! Hard Racing bought them out. Falicon is gone! They were bought out then they are closed now. McIntosh Is not gone but Terry is GONE and they are not that good anymore. The front is lowered you have to find out how it was done ti see what is not working the way it should.

HI. Catalyst is gone! Hard Racing bought them out. Falicon is gone! They were bought out then they are closed now. McIntosh Is not gone but Terry is GONE and they are not that good anymore. The front is lowered you have to find out how it was done ti see what is not working the way it should.
Wow I've been away for not even that long and so much has changed a wow I have a catalyst 2nd gen rear tail 16-inch stretch maybe it's worth a few bucks now but I want it for my other bike dot-dot-dot

Wow I've been away for not even that long and so much has changed a wow I have a catalyst 2nd gen rear tail 16-inch stretch maybe it's worth a few bucks now but I want it for my other bike dot-dot-dot
Hi. When my street bike is done it should make 675 to 740 hp. All carbon fiber body work it will weight about 425 to 450 lbs.

700-horsepower streetable?! How the hell does that happen I'd love that! Yeah we got my bike down to under 450 but only 311 horse all motor. All carbon fiber a you going to paint it or leave it

700-horsepower streetable?! How the hell does that happen I'd love that! Yeah we got my bike down to under 450 but only 311 horse all motor. All carbon fiber a you going to paint it or leave it
if u were at RCC and spoke with Richard... Richard didn't mention his turbo systems that are setting records all over the place? 600-700 hp examples that are streetable… some of these bikes make over 400HP on PUMP GAS 93 octane.

Sorry for the delay, I was dealing with a few medical problems the last few weeks, but good now.

The video is the bike running, so maybe someone can tell if it's the motor or something like valve adjustment?
I think I put the video on here correctly but if not please let me know. I had a buddy check out the bike and hes pretty convinced it's set up for the dragstrip and has very heavy springs in it, but I'm going to try what everyone suggested.

Back