Need help with forgotten Windows XP password

justintime2

What's your story?
Donating Member
Registered
My 9 year old daughter forgot what her password was on her Compaq laptop for the windows login and now I can't get passed that stupid login screen.

There is no way she is going to remember it so what do I do. There has to be a way around this, Isn't there?
rock.gif
AAAssjani.gif

Think you will have to re format from installation disk

hrrmm....prolly what bigdr said.

Or, you could enter the set-up menu and disable all passwords. I dunno if it'll work, but it's worth a shot.

If it was easy to get past the password ..there would be no point having one....
down.gif

What set-up menu? I can't get passed the stupid login screen to get to any menu's. I hate this. I have a map I need to download to the the Busa and haven't been able too as hers is the only laptop we have. It also sucks that she can't use the darn thing.
mad.gif

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127106367 -->

when you start up the laptop, there should be a screen where it you see it doing an internal systems check.

press F2 or F12...one of those. It should take you to the set-up menu.

Well you have a couple of options -

a) If you have an admin account on the laptop, other than your daughteres account... you can login through that and disable the password.

b) When you set up a password on Xp, it genrally asks you for a secret question... its time you use it. In the login screen there is an option "Forgot password" ...choose it and enter the secrect question/answer that was defined when the password was activated.

c) Re-Format / Re Install

You do get hacking tools to retrive the password, but I doubt you could get any one that lets you do it easily....
blush.gif

I'll search around and let you know if there are any easy to use tools

Hey mate you might wanna give this site a shot http://www.loginrecovery.com/

...couple of my hacker buddies say that it work!! never tried it myself... but you migt wanna try it, will save you the truoble of re formatting and loosing all your data, an shid!! I'll try to pull couple more sources!!

You can also try Jhon the Ripper, but its a complex tool... and will require some minimum knowledge regarding the OS. http://www.openwall.com/john/

Personally I suggest you go with the first link, its free, safe... and it does not cange or alter your existing password

I have a linux pword changer you can use. I created an iso of it, PM sent of location. Just burn it to cd and boot from cd.

Try this:

If it's XP Home (or XP Pro in a workgroup), you may be able to login as 'Administrator' and change her password.

XP Home only displays icons for users that have been created, not the built-in user(s) (i.e. Administrator). When it's prompting for her password, hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE *twice*. You should be given an login prompt asking for username and password.

Type "Administrator" (without quotes) in the username field and leave the PW blank. Click 'OK' to login. Chances are that the Admin password is blank.

If that works, just goto Control Panel -> User Accounts and you can change her password from there.

If the above doesn't work, then use the CD...

EASY! start Windows in safe mode (press F8 before Windows starts and select safe mode in the menu)... Once in safe mode as administrator go into the control panel and then in the users group, you can choose the profile and delete its password with no problem, i've done it a few times...

EASY! start Windows in safe mode (press F8 before Windows starts and select safe mode in the menu)... Once in safe mode as administrator go into the control panel and then in the users group, you can choose the profile and delete its password with no problem, i've done it a few times...
Thanks for all the help guys. <span style='color:red'>ZEF</span> had the winner as being the easiest and not having to use additional software.

omslaw - I got to the part where I logged in as administrator but it wouldn't let me go any farther than that.

To all the others, THANKS!

Your welcome mate...
biggrin.gif

...Now that Im not the winner, do i get a consolation prize
rock.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

Back