Need help with Dehumidifier

UPDATE: While I was down there with the voltmeter kinda looking around, the compressor kicked on. Half hour later, compressor is hot, but none of the coils have cooled off. I strongly suspect this means the refrigerant has leaked out somewhere, which means I'm going to be looking for a replacement...correct?

Found my receipt; purchased 11/2010. Going to call them tomorrow and see if I might have any warranty remaining.

Quick question..Is the humidistat set at the lowest setting where maybe the room is at that humidity level? "NO I DON'T THINK YOU'RE STUPID!" If that's not the case, can you turn the humidistat to the highest setting where the compressor wouldn't be on anyway and wait 5 minutes and then turn the humidistat to the opposite direction and listen to the compressor and see if you can hear a click "like the compressor tried to start and popped off on the overload? Just a few questions first. OH, How Old and How much did you pay? Warranty Information???? Thanks...

The feet are fine. Yea, under the cap. I wish I had these pics before I wrote anything. This one has a PC board. There isn't a clip, there's a nut. There's a blue wire coming out of the pc board terminal P9 going into the Capacitor, that wire should see 115v. It goes from the Cap into the compressor. One out of the cap to the run winding and the other out of the cap to the start winding. Comes out of the compressor "Common Terminal" into the overload "red wire" and goes into the RY1 Rectangle terminal #4. Out terminal #3 (black or brown wire) back to power. White or Blue is your other Power wire. Look at POWER Circle. You need to see if Power is coming out of the board to the capacitor. If it is, it's probably not the board. Check the overload under that Compressor Cap with the nut on it. If you can take the things off that are over the compressor, take em' off. It will make things easier when you pull the cap off to check the overload. I would of liked to see under the cap. Check the other things that I wrote earlier, (Click from overload on start-up attempt) Warranty Etc. IF it's out of warranty And IT's THE BOARD....You're Fu**ed! Buy a new one... If there is power going into the CAP and nothing coming out...It's the Cap. If it's coming out of the common terminal on the compressor going into the overload and not coming out..it's the overload. You can also do a continuity test on the overload. Compressors Do seize up. Not often but it does happen. If everything else is good and it's causing the overload to open, it could be seized. Not likely but it happens. PLEASE DON'T GET HURT DOING THIS!!!! If you're not familiar with electricity and circuits, get it fixed or buy another one. I think yours is about 375.00 now. It's not worth gettin' Hurt for $400 Bucks. As we ALL know on here, Hospital Bills are huge and death by electricity really sucks..Rich

Found my receipt; purchased 11/2010. Going to call them tomorrow and see if I might have any warranty remaining.
AH MAN! You wrote all of this while I was writing my stuff!!! Compressors get very hot!! Forget about the coil temps. Is is pulling out any water??? Can you see the condenser coil?? It should have Finns on it..Is there a bunch of lint and dust on it?? (I wrote my stuff 3 hours after you but I didn't even see what you wrote!!) WTF???

Thanks for the greatly detailed response. I am on phone with Fridigaire right now. No, I am not very good with electrical/circuits so I'm trying not to electrocute myself.

Frigidaire wants me to be beside the unit to run a few tests (I expect to run it up and down as you mention to see if the compressor kicks). GOOD news is they told me that in all likelyhood they will REPLACE FOR FREE. Will update this evening.

All this talk about dehumidifiers has been good...timely. I think I need to get one for my crawlspace. Getting ready to put the house on the market and I don't want any issues with an inspection just before closing. So I want/need to get the moisture out now. I know they make crawlspace-specific units (like the MegaDry posted earlier) but I really don't want to spend that kind of $$ only to have it go to a new owner. I'm toying with getting one of these household units that has a condensate pump to drain it. I'd rather spend $300 vs $1000+. Wonder if anyone rents the dehumidifers? Hrmmm

Anyway - good news on maybe getting a replacement!

Oh yeah, you can rent them...

Search Results | Sunbelt Rentals

I would assume a more permanent solution might be recoverable in the home selling price, as buyers will be impressed that you dealt with any issue and didn't leave it for them to deal with...

Thanks for the link. I have talked to them and they don't have any "crawlspace-specific" units. The ones they have are similar to yours...vertical. I don't have the vertical clearance in the crawlspace.

My daughter has mold allergies, so it's important that I get things moving again as quickly as I can; but if I can get them to replace under warranty in a week, that would be awesome...

Yea, I always try to call the Manufacturer first to see if it's in warranty!!

Thanks for the greatly detailed response. I am on phone with Fridigaire right now. No, I am not very good with electrical/circuits so I'm trying not to electrocute myself.

Frigidaire wants me to be beside the unit to run a few tests (I expect to run it up and down as you mention to see if the compressor kicks). GOOD news is they told me that in all likelyhood they will REPLACE FOR FREE. Will update this evening.

Good news! Frigidaire says 100% replacement with new model! I'm soooooo glad I asked before I just went out and spent $ on another one!

Follow up and final post: Frigidaire called me back last week. They did not have any in stock, so instead they offered me a 100% refund of my original purchase price for which I have submitted my paperwork. I went out online and found a Frigidaire FAD704DWD to replace it with. It came in today and is currently downstairs filling it's first container of water. In the end, I might be out $20. Can't complain. :)

Final post: Check came today from electrolux for $207.90; in the end, I was out about $30. Could have been a lot worse. Replacement model doing a good job of taking the water out of my basement.

Back