Need help with Dehumidifier

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
I've had a dehumidifier running in my downstairs strorage for the last 3 years (puts out about a gallon a day). Anyway, the other day it's stopped working. The fan still runs, the lights still come on, but the compressor doesn't start. I can't see anything mainteanance-wise I can do to get it started again, and suspect the only option is to just replace it with a new one. Anybody got any ideas/recommendations?

Usually the smaller mobile dehumidifier units are replaceable and not serviceable. You may want to look into a permanent system that you mount to the ceiling or in a remote location with a duct running to the dehumidifier. They are typically more expensive, but will do a better job and last longer.

Something like in this link.

Mega Dry CS70 Dehumidifier | Crawlspace Depot

Jeez, a full grand?

I could hang one, but is the humidity really at the floor level?

Well, that is just the thing. You can run the duct to wherever you need it and then run the condensation drainage tube to a condensation pump that may already be installed for a heat pump blower unit. It all depends on your circumstances, but a system similar to the one noted above will get the area dry, be more efficient and will last for years to come.

It is all up to what you need and are willing to pay. There may be other units out there similar to this one for cheaper, I just selected the first one after a Google search.

If you can spray contact cleaner on elec connections or wd40 on spinning parts that may be it...if the float is stuck up it will not function...there are only so may parts that fail...is it tied to a drain or does it have a tray...some have an elec switch to make sure the tray is in place to operate

Ditch it and get the Frigidaire FAD704DWD. Its a 70 pint workhorse. I sell them at my store for 239.00 You should be able to find one in your area. Ive sold hundreds and have had 2 returned.

I haft to run one under my house, on my second one, first lasted about 9 years. Just bought another one to put in the house in Tellico, put it up on 8" blocks to give it some elevation and hooked a water hose to it and run it out the blocks in the floor, yes, I had to knock a hole in the blocks, but I filled it with expanding foam, works pretty good. The first day I ran it , 70 quart, it filled up in 4 hours. Keith, It should have lasted longer than that. Hope you can fix it.

I think they last forever, we ditched ours to get a more energy efficient model. They need cleaned, tubing and/or floats can plug over time, moist. Motor & compressor, good ones last in my experience. I used to sit the last one on a chair so I could put a 5 gallon bucket under it, reduced the dumping interval. I built a "Gutter, and drain", to replace the little tank.

A gallon a day? I'de paint the block with Drylock to keep moisture out.
That'll cut down the work load on the next dehumidifier.

If you can spray contact cleaner on elec connections or wd40 on spinning parts that may be it...if the float is stuck up it will not function...there are only so may parts that fail...is it tied to a drain or does it have a tray...some have an elec switch to make sure the tray is in place to operate

The 'full' switch is fine; it shuts off when I remove the tank; the fan comes back on but not the compressor. After 3 yrs continuous use, I suspect the compressor just died or it got a hole and lost refrigerant..

Ditch it and get the Frigidaire FAD704DWD. Its a 70 pint workhorse. I sell them at my store for 239.00 You should be able to find one in your area. Ive sold hundreds and have had 2 returned.

I will certainly look into your recommendation thank you!

A gallon a day? I'de paint the block with Drylock to keep moisture out.
That'll cut down the work load on the next dehumidifier.

I have a deep full basement. The area that I most worry about is the unfinished section. I've never seen any water, but the humidity level in there stays high. I've already drylocked about half of it (used the Solvent-based version, and it took a week for the stank to clear when we first bought the house; won't be able to do that now that we live in it). Because it's on the lower level, I can't create a drain and the only two existing drains down there is the washing machine and the sink in the washroom; they are on the opposite side of the unfinished portion so the drain line would have to be at least 30 ft with a pump...so we just empty it ever day or so.

If you look on the compressor you might find a reset ( little red pushbutton ) It's probably shot brother.

With a condensation pump the 30 ft distance is not a problem at all. If/when you get a new unit, I would look at getting a pump to remove the water that way you are not having to empty it all the time. I live in GA and it is very humid. I had a similar setup as to what you are running now, but had a condensation pump that the dehumidifier would drain into. Then that would pump the water out of the house via a drain or through an exterior wall.

There are a lot of options available, just depends how much time and money you want to throw at it.

For me to get a good 'slope' for it to drain, I will have to mount it 8-10 ft up on the wall so that the drain hose would go over the drop ceiling back down into the laundry room. I wonder if mounting the dehumidifier high means it doesn't get to the really humid air hanging on the floor...

OK. Been a HVAC mech for 30 years. First, I'm thinking either the humidistat is faulty (you can jump it out to find that out) or the compressor, compressor relay or the overload is bad. There's a plastic cover where the wires go into the compressor. Remove the clip holding the cover on and remove the cover. You will see a relay in there and possibly an overload. Depends on what kind of compressor it is. Remove both of them. Do they look burnt? If you had a picture I could walk you through it. Usually this is what happens. Unless the compressor sh*t the bed, (which usually doesn't happen). Losing the Refrigerant..unless you damaged the lines, condenser or evaporator coil OR it's been in a highly corosive atmosphere where the copper and or aluminum is eaten away, forget that. If you have a place where you can go buy a relay and an overload or have the one's you have checked, do that. Usually, you can fix it for 10 bucks unless the compressor is bad. I've worked on little portables that were 30 years old and just needed the relay, overload or both. If it just needs one, change them both anyway. they're cheap. Some people just want to buy a new one and spend the money. It's up to you. Do you have a sears appliance service center near you? They usually have the relays and overloads. I just hate seeing people spend their hard earned money on new things when they really don't have to. Hope I gave you a little insight...Rich..:laugh:

Ok, I have read and like the reviews of the Frigidaire. Now, let's talk about adding a condensation pump. For this to work like I'd want, the hose to the drain would go up a wall, at least 30 ft across and back down; that's probably 50 ft....will that work?

OK. Been a HVAC mech for 30 years. First, I'm thinking either the humidistat is faulty (you can jump it out to find that out) or the compressor, compressor relay or the overload is bad. There's a plastic cover where the wires go into the compressor. Remove the clip holding the cover on and remove the cover. You will see a relay in there and possibly an overload. Depends on what kind of compressor it is. Remove both of them. Do they look burnt? If you had a picture I could walk you through it. Usually this is what happens. Unless the compressor sh*t the bed, (which usually doesn't happen). Losing the Refrigerant..unless you damaged the lines, condenser or evaporator coil OR it's been in a highly corosive atmosphere where the copper and or aluminum is eaten away, forget that. If you have a place where you can go buy a relay and an overload or have the one's you have checked, do that. Usually, you can fix it for 10 bucks unless the compressor is bad. I've worked on little portables that were 30 years old and just needed the relay, overload or both. If it just needs one, change them both anyway. they're cheap. Some people just want to buy a new one and spend the money. It's up to you. Do you have a sears appliance service center near you? They usually have the relays and overloads. I just hate seeing people spend their hard earned money on new things when they really don't have to. Hope I gave you a little insight...Rich..:laugh:

Awesome reply Rich! Ok, how about tonight I remove the cover(s) and take a pic, and maybe you can help me from there? Thanks!

Ok, I have read and like the reviews of the Frigidaire. Now, let's talk about adding a condensation pump. For this to work like I'd want, the hose to the drain would go up a wall, at least 30 ft across and back down; that's probably 50 ft....will that work?

Yes, the condensation pump will push the water that height and distance with no problem. I am referencing one like this Flotec 115-Volt Condensate Removal Pump-FPCP-20ULST at The Home Depot

Although, you may want to shop around for a better deal, they are out there. I have two of these in my home, one for sure goes up about 10 feet and about 40 feet of tubing in total and it is at least a decade old. It works great without any problems. We also have one mounted to the wall where I work for an a/c unit that keeps our small server vault cool. This pump goes vertical for about 20 feet then through the ceiling about 20 more feet.

Sous: I think there is one in the pan of the AC unit already downstairs...I might could connect to it..

Rocket: Here are the pics you asked for. It IS a Frigidaire...

IMG_2027.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

Oops I did not take a pic of the top of the compressor; are you talking about under the cap?

Also, note the rubber feet seem to be worn quite a bit..

Thanks!

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2031.jpg

Back