Need help with clutch fluid replacement

busastrom

Registered
Well, I thought this should be a pretty easy task. I had done this with my brakes with no issues.
I made sure the reservoir was full and pulled the clutch, holding, and then opening the bleeder valve. The fluid came out (with no air). I continued this several times. Replaced the fluid in the reservoir with dot 4 synthetic as soon as it got about half empty.

Well, put everything together (with a full reservoir) and now it is shifting harder than before. Going from neutral to first gives a really bad jolt. Going between any other gears is harder than normal as well.

I figured there was probably an air pocket in there so I tried the procedure again (with no air showing up in the line) but still no good. :banghead:

Anyone have an idea where I screwed up and how to fix?

Thanks guys.

do not pull on the lever... PERIOD.... just run a hose from the bleeder to a cup , open the bleeder and keep the master full (you will need to run around 8 ounces, the system is pretty large)

Ok, now that I have gotten myself into this little issue. How do I get the air out? I assume it isn't just as easy as opening the bleeder valve at this point with the air in there.

Ok, now that I have gotten myself into this little issue. How do I get the air out? I assume it isn't just as easy as opening the bleeder valve at this point with the air in there.
yep probably is :) The clutch system is a bit of a pain due to the long line run is all... (and it takes a good amount of fluid).. you might need to put a little grease around the threads of the bleeder to keep it from sucking air down the hose to the cup...

Just get the flow going and wait for the bubbles to siphon out of the system.. Just do not let the master run dry..

Ok, great. Ill give that a shot. I only had about 6 oz left. I tried that but it is still shifting badly. Ill go get some more and try to run more through it.

Thanks again for the help.

Back