Need help with "Bucket List" wish.

Lickity-Split

Registered
I'm nearing the "Big 60" and want to earn membership in the "Bonneville 200mph Club" before I kick the bucket. I'm 6' 2" and my riding weight is 225lbs (helmet, leathers, boots, etc.).

I've asked Blais Cycle in Miami, FL to build me a naturally aspirated 2009 Busa to exceed 220mph on the salt (minimums for the MPS-G and MPS-F classes).

Research suggests I will need somewhere between 275hp and 325hp to exceed the 220mph minimum mark, considering the elevation at Bonneville is 4046' and a much higher density altitude in the 100' + afternoon heat.

I'm told the rules in the class I've chosen prohibit Nitrous or Turbo (that class requires 255mph or better -- faster than my old bones really want to go).

I welcome any "detail specific" opinions on what I need to build/equip a 2009 busa to earn my 200mph Club membership. My interests include engine mods, frame mods, suspension, tires, gearing, and anything else I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the oRg, we have several members that have joined this elusive list of 200mph riders. Somebody will be able to help you. Again, welcome and congrats on the big 60!

Hmm, would love to hear what people have to say on this.
:welcome::welcome:

me too.... The 200 Club at Bonnie is usually a multi year career charge.. The guys that run that venue are truly 'hard core'

Nothing like running 200+ on a dirt road (about the same)

Might want to look to the Maxton mile or pavement event first?

oh boy. In a sense you want to know how to climb/conquer Chogori before 2010. I don't mean to sound disparaging. You've got the right idea, tons of hp to start. Budget wise you're gonna need alot. I would think that it'll take a few trips to Bonneville to really get things dialed in. If your goal is just to get a red hat and not so much the journey you might want to consider renting a ride. You would still need to prove your abilities to ride on salt at these high speeds.

I'm looking at training in South Florida at the Dade-Collier Training Airstrip which is considering allowing "Race Sundays" available on a regular basis to fast bikes and cars. The first race day is October 11th. The airstrip is 1.9 miles long so I'm told and the surface is in pretty decent condition.

Maxton is also a serious consideration but somewhat geographically unfriendly (700 +/- miles away).

I really don't expect to earn the 200 club on the first try. I expect I'll be doing this for a while. But then again, you don't fail until you quit; I'm not a quitter.

Thanks for the input.

The journey is "my adventure" the Red Hat is the reward. I want to own the bike and add it to my "personal accomplishments" trophies. I fully expect to be a regular salt user before this is achieved.

I'm glad to to read your response. It's more about the journey than anything else. Granted the red hat is the icing on the cake.

The Dade airstrip will be fun! :thumbsup: Wish it was closer to me. Are you ready for the 11th? ??? Make sure the engine is built with durability in mind. Talk to John (OB_John Noonan) about prepping for Bonneville. He's a red hat owner and has been playing the game for years now.

Do you have contact information for John Noonan? We can't produce the bike before the 11th, but Kevin Blais (owner of Blais Cycle) and I will be there to get a feel for things.

I'd start with a few 1-mile paved events first to get your ears wet. Once you've got 200+ conquered on that then I would work your way over to Bonneville. That's a LONG drive and LOTS of money to go out and learn right out of the gate. Unless you've got unlimited funds, I think you'll have just as much (if not more fun) at the Texas Mile or one of the others... :beerchug:

Click on my build thread for basic mods. However, if you want 220mph+ you are going to need a lot more than that.... :thumbsup:

Good luck, it will be a fun ride... :super:

Last edited:
you can pm John, he's a member here.
Like you I'm in the same boat. :bowdown: I've been on the journey off and on for a few years now. I'm not ready for Bonneville (budget) but it is my ultimate goal. As got-busa suggested, you may want to get your feet wet with Maxton. They have a green hat. Lots of testing, experience (seat time), and budget will get you there.

Got-Busa?

Thanks for the link; I will study it. I'm planning a "crawl before walking" strategy to earn this goal. I realize I will need to make a lot of 200mph pavement runs before that speed becomes familiar to me. First and foremost, I realize I will need to gradually develop my skill-set just to safely survive this project.

Back