Need Help with Brakes

Dino

VERITAS - AEQUITAS
Donating Member
Registered
My front brakes are not working properly. When I apply the brakes the work fine but they dont fully retract when I release the lever. The lever doesn't feel spongy or anything.

Any suggestions.

I had that with the bandit, I had to clean all the components and the dust boots too.
Still a little sticky on the release.
Bubba

I think this is the solution. Do I need to replace the seals and o-rings with new ones or can I stay with the ones I have if they look ok?

If you're going to rebuild a caliper, replace all the seals and o-rings. It's not that expensive.

My front brakes are not working properly. When I apply the brakes the work fine but they dont fully retract when I release the lever. The lever doesn't feel spongy or anything.

Any suggestions.

First try taking off the calipers and cleaning off the dust...Brakleen and some compressed air :beerchug:

Cleaned them and they seem to be better. How much rub is normal?

Any brake system using common glycol-based brake fluid (e.g., DOT3) should be completely flushed at least every 2 or 3 years. The brake fluid can pick up water from the atmosphere and eventually this leads to corrosion in the cylinders and sticky calipers. Unfortunately, very few people ever bother to do this preventative maintenance.

A small amount of contact between the brake pads and the disk is normal. The high points on the rotors kick the pads back from the discs to minimize drag.

As an aside, this small drag has been looked at by automotive manufacturers because it decreases mpg efficiency. Braking systems have been developed to pull the pads back from the rotors so there is no drag from the pads when retracted. There is an unanticipated problem with this: In a conventional system, the pads and rotors are kept warm while the vehicle is driving, but not so when the pads are purposely retracted. In below-freezing temperatures, water splashed onto the rotors can freeze, ruining braking ability, and this is why you don't see such systems on consumer vehicles.

Thanks bro I think I am good. The test ride is tonight. If all goes well I am going to do a complete brake overhaul as part of my winter plan.

Back