Need Help ! USB / Power for GPS

I started with one of these:
RAM-342U - Steering Stem base

But didn't like the fact that it "turned"

So then I got something like this:
RAM 1/4"-20 x 2 1/4" Threaded Stud with 1" Ball

And threaded it all the way through the stem (it's hollow) with a stainless 1/4-20 rod and a coupler.. :beerchug:

If you have an old GPS Car mount you can cut the ball off and go down to your local Lowes and get some all thread rod, a spacer, some nuts and washers and then drill a hole in the ball and locktite the rod in ball and have basically the same thing. I've seen a post on here about it.

I've got mine wired into my hazard switch. Never used it in three yrs so I had it wired into that.
Push it in and it's on, push it out and it's off, no static drain. Done.

Alright ........ Is this a true statement if the device is disconnected.

I've owned Busa's for seven years and this is the first electrical accessory I've installed. I guess I fit the neanderthal rider category :laugh:

The GPS has a three hour battery. Sometimes I go seven to twelve hours. So I figured I needed the power. I ride daily ( I miss once in awhile, bought a tender seven years ago and have never pulled it out of the plastic :laugh: ) .

When I'm not riding the device will be turned off and / or pulled from the bike ( I like keeping my toys ).

YES, if u connect hot its always pulling power i found out hard way ate a battery search for a thread i put up a couple months ago about electrical gremlins.. Once i moved to switched side on fuzeblock everything cleared up

Time for some laughter :laugh: $6 of hardware from Lowes.

DSCN2851.JPG

DSCN2852.JPG

DSCN2853.JPG

You can see the suction cup that came with the GPS. I was nearly hit head on yesterday up town and when I zigged my GPS zagged. Stopped, walked back 25 feet and picked it up. Put it back together and didn't have any other issues. Rode 60 miles today with it and at speed and it held again. Of course you can see my make shift tether of tie wraps.

Today two pieces of 6" X 5/16 threaded rod, a 5/16 coupling, two flat washers, two nuts, and a lock washer.

Put together and hand tightened in the Lowes parking lot. Made it 60 miles home. Still hand tight. Cleaned and waxed the chain, need to throw a wrench on that nut.

In case anyone is wondering. I bought a hundred dollar TomTom. It is housed in the pics in a weather type mount in case of rain. I don't typically ride in rain and would absolutely stow the GPS if caught.

In case anyone is wondering. I bought a hundred dollar TomTom. It is housed in the pics in a weather type mount in case of rain. I don't typically ride in rain and would absolutely stow the GPS if caught.

No one was wondering.. :poke:

:rofl:

Hey, just saying I couldn't afford the motorcycle GPS :laugh:

What does it mean when the speed indicator turns red :dunno:

Alright received the USB Power Port . Thanks Tim. Problem maybe, maybe not ........ no tapp-suz that would help me connect direct to running lights. I can't even find it on the internet. That might be my fault. My kit came with a Posi-Tap. Anyway I can get the Tapp-Suz ? There site only shows several HD versions. Any help will be appreciated.

Back