Need Help Trouble Shooting A Tachometer Issue

c10

Registered
Please watch my video , and tell me if you think it might be servo motor going out .
Thanks

This is going to sound crazy but that looks like mold. Is it possible there is some environmental condition conducive to mold growing there? There could be any number of reasons the mold is sticking to the needles (not sure what they are made of).

What does it smell like?

Not mold I can watch more appear on a longer ride . When riding home 450 miles in one day it doubled in amount visible on needle. No scent I can detect , and a cotton ball dry removes it all . No moisture to produce mold either .

I can't help with the problem you are having, but I do know there are several people (companies) out there that if you have to replace your gauges, that can legally changer the mileage on the replacement gauges if you send proof of the bikes milage. I am sure there wouldnt be a problem especially if you want them to add mileage.

I recently looked on Ebay for a used ZX-14 instrument cluster and they did list that the odometer read X miles. I would be very surprised if this was actually the case. It would be too easy to buy a stock odometer with less miles on it to falsely show mileage.

As far as the mystery dust, I think that's mold. Maybe you have spores in there and it keeps growing back. Try growing a culture in a humid environment next time you remove it.

If you can get your hands on some formaldehyde that might stop it. Ask a pharmacist or maybe a mortician. He might be able to give you a small amount, maybe?

I guess u guys missed me saying it gets bigger as I ride . Mold does not grow in direct sunlight with no moisture . There is a seal around the gauges , and never is condinsation going on in the faces .
There also is nothing on the back side

If it doubled in one day of unusually long riding, that sounds like it would be related to electricity. Is there an LED for the needle that might be shorting? The needle doesn't seem like it would conduct electricity nor would the glue used to hold it to the center. Maybe the steel pin the center button is pressed onto. You should be able to pry the button off with a fork like when installing aftermarket gauge faces.

I guess u guys missed me saying it gets bigger as I ride . Mold does not grow in direct sunlight with no moisture . There is a seal around the gauges , and never is condinsation going on in the faces .
There also is nothing on the back side
I wonder if these synchros/servomechanisms have some part number stamped on them, so that you can try to source one online, instead of replacing the whole cluster. That definitely looks like the “electrical smoke” I used to see on synchros at my previous job when they used to overheat due to bad or dirty shaft bearings that required ultrasonic cleaning or replacement. Maybe you could plug it on the bike disassembled, so that you could touch it and see how hot that servo gets?
As for your mileage concern, I’ve also heard that there is shops that can legally “transfer” your mileage to your new gauges (I believe in the busa they are stored within the gauge).

Reactions: c10
This is not a mystery. C10, that is an electric servo motor. It has magnets in there. The magnets are wearing out or its rubbing. That is what the dust is. Same as a cordless drill or electric drill...the "brushes" are almost done.

Ok I get it! You just wanted us to see that you have been riding that bike so hard you wore the gauges out! Lol!

I was a bit of a hooligan Sunday while riding with wife . Our power plant back road had a Corvette try to give me a run about a 650 to 700 hp car my guess as it didn't take much . Two hill rises behind him while caught behind a farm truck I produced stand up wheelies . once we got around the truck They laid into breaking lose @ 80 mph throwing black rich condition smoke on me . I came around tucked on the BIG tank bag ( not much tuck ) while driver gave a peace sign out the window lowered 4 or 5 inches . I laid into it long bringing 5th to red line geared 18/40 Speedo showing 175 true by shut down area . GPS only captured 172 mph , but it needs 3 plus seconds to capture max speed.
Turned around heading back to catch wife who was way behind us . vette coming towards me I let the Bird take off again in a 2nd gear stand up wheelie .
The vette waved again passing as I waved too .
Wife and I enjoyed another 100 miles till heading home were we had our own race between us .
The little 600 bandit gave its best , but I wheelied off into the sunset . mAny love said she really needs to get viedo of me some day .
Screenshot_2017-10-22-18-57-15.png

Back