Need help to identify this rim.

Todmac

Registered
Hi Everyone,
Last fall I bought an '02 hayabusa - love it.
It came with 2 chrome rims that were not on the bike. So this spring I decided to put them on.
I removed the rear wheel and realized I needed to replace the bearings and seals, I ordered bearings for the back and front. Got them, installed in rear wheel, had tire swapped. Wheel went on fine.

Here is the problem. When I removed the front wheel, I immediately noticed the bearings I got were too large to go into it. On close inpsection I also noticed the rotor bolt holes dont line up, bolt pattern is just slightly larger on the rotors. The rim generally looks to be the same "style" as what is on there, but the center is not a definite match.

I can't afford to get my front wheel chromed ( they quoted me 900$ at my local plating company), I want to sell this rim or trade it for one that will work. But I dont know what it goes to! I took it to the local dealer but they couldnt tell me for sure. I am posting some pictures of it, and really hoping someone can identify it indefinitely for me.

Couple of peices of info. It seems to match the rear rim, so I wonder if another model of bike shares the rear rim specs, but the front rim is different. Also, I got hold of a micrometer and measured the bearing seat or bore, it is 47mm, so whatever this fits would take a 47mm set of front bearings.

Thanks in advance for any help. Truly appreciated.

Todd

rim 1.jpg

rim 2.jpg

rim 3.jpg

Last edited:
Notta.
There are some numbers etched on the inside of the rim, which i am sure were put there when it was chromed.
i doubt they make any sense, but they are
z6 (with a circle around it ) 50048 aim 05 5-11-05 and 51086 beside the valve stem.

Agreed, but the GSXR's all seem to take the 6205 bearings which are 52 mm, this rim accepts a 47 mm bearing - which is what is throwing me. Can anyone confirm if there was a GSXR that took 47 mm front bearings?

2005-2008 Zzr600 25x47x12 zx6r 98-02....the hole on the hub is round, gsxr were oval I believe. Im gonna say Kawi

Not that you should 't get that wheel squared away, but $900 quote to chrome a rim??? My buddy had a set (yep, all four) of Z rims chromed for that. That is NUTS.

This is a more reasonable ballpark... chrome_wheel_prices

Not that you should 't get that wheel squared away, but $900 quote to chrome a rim??? My buddy had a set (yep, all four) of Z rims chromed for that. That is NUTS.

This is a more reasonable ballpark... chrome_wheel_prices

Thanks. I found a rim for a little under 300$, and have to give them my old one. Which I will likely do, unfortunately i live in canada, and they only ship to the states, but i will find a way around that.

What i would like to do is be able to send them my old aluminum rim, and this chromed one, and hopfully just a few bucks for one that fits my 'busa. just need to know what this one if off of to see if they will bite :)

2005-2008 Zzr600 25x47x12 zx6r 98-02....the hole on the hub is round, gsxr were oval I believe. Im gonna say Kawi

I cant get my head around how the rear one fits the 'busa and the front one doesnt if they are kawi. They are definitely a matched set. Seems more likely they are GSXR, but i am still not sure about bearing sizes. I THINK i found out that the 88-89 gsxr front wheels took a 47mm OD bearing?
But would an 88-89 gsxr rear wheel fit a hayabusa?

This is turning into such a nightmare :(

Look like Gsxr 1000 wheels. There was a thread here recently where someone put them on.
From memory they looked like those but were black.

I cant get my head around how the rear one fits the 'busa and the front one doesnt if they are kawi. They are definitely a matched set. Seems more likely they are GSXR, but i am still not sure about bearing sizes. I THINK i found out that the 88-89 gsxr front wheels took a 47mm OD bearing?
But would an 88-89 gsxr rear wheel fit a hayabusa?

This is turning into such a nightmare :(
The busa has a 6 inch wide rear rim. If those rims are off a 1000 they should also have 6 inch wide rears. If its a 5.5 inch rear and thats a matched set then its off a smaller or older bike. If I remember right the Suzuki TLR (suzi's v-twin sportbike) rims interchange with the early busa's, at least the back does. But they only had 5.5 inch wide rears I believe, and ran a 180 series tire, not 190 like the busa. You may have a 190 rear tire on a 180 size rim. Not really too dangerous but it will affect the handling.

That is a GSXR rim for the years of 1988 to 1997 1100's and ome others, and the original Bandit 1200's , also Katana's!

If you like i can take pics of one that is not Chrome!
The first pic shows the speedo drive notches in the rim!

If you like i can take pics of one that is not Chrome!
The first pic shows the speedo drive notches in the rim!

if you could that would be extremely helpful. i had a feeling those were speedo notches, can you confirm it takes a 47 mm bearing?
thanks for the help!
Todd

if you could that would be extremely helpful. i had a feeling those were speedo notches, can you confirm it takes a 47 mm bearing?
thanks for the help!
Todd

Id bet that Gixerhp guy is right, he usually is and it gets really annoying :laugh:

That is a GSXR rim for the years of 1988 to 1997 1100's and ome others, and the original Bandit 1200's , also Katana's!
Yep those look like the same rims on my 92 gsxr-1100, which are also chromed. I'll try and get a look at them later, maybe even a pic? Like mentioned above GIXXER is usually spot on with anything suzuki tho :beerchug:
On a side note I actually considered trying to swap my 1100 rims onto my 04LE busa......but got too lazy to try, didn't want to go to a narrower back rim, and ended up thinking it would be too much chrome for the busa. I believe through some research I did the rear at least would have swapped tho, maybe the front too? Don't remember now :banghead:

emailed him a week ago.
No response ???

Sorry no excuse but I normally have the work load of 3 people and have been doing the work load of 4 people for a few weeks...lol I'm normally the fastest around on emails and working hard on getting caught all of the way up on them.

Anyway unfortunately we can't help out with a trade etc. for the GSXR wheel. I do have a couple of used chromed Hayabusa front wheels in stock? If that is something you might be interested please give Isaac a call 9-5:30 central time at 888-511-BIKE(2453). He'll be able to look while on the phone and give you a good idea of what we have.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Back