Need help to help a friend

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
One of my friends got a gixxer 600 not too long ago and is crazy on it. He's been in trouble for doing wheelies in the lot at work and was just pulled over for doing it on a busy road, but got out of it. I've seen him ride a wheelie down a mountain road and almost wipe out because there wasn't enough room to slow going into a turn. I'm pretty sure he almost died on that one. Anyway, we're not best friends, but good enough, and we ride together pretty regularly. I'm not sure how to approach him with this, but it concerns me. He has a wife and kid who would really miss him. How would you guys handle it? TIA for the advice.

Pull him aside and talk to him straight out! He not only going to hurt himself, other are going to be affected by his actions!

+1 straight up!maybe some youtube gore to make him rethink his actions. Ask what his kid would do without a father... or just punch him in the face and say that the pavement hurts 100 times more than that did.:laugh:

Yeah, I'm not sure how to say it loud enough that he really listens, but not so harshly that he's offended and ignores it.

Tell him to stop being an a$$ and slow down, he has people depending on him, it's not just his life he's affecting when he kills himself. Tell him now, before you wish you had later.

Typically I would just not ride with someone like that.. not my place to police anyones riding style but if he is your friend, tell him to knock it off... Stupid riders die in stupid crashes..

I for one am tired of seeing guys get scraped off the asphalt because they can not control their own riding style.. speed and jacking around are a bad combo..

Just tell him straight out that you do not like to ride with "squids" (it is squid behavior ya know :) )

Last edited:
+1,000,000 If you feel strongly about it, the message you send by telling him you won't ride with him is as strong as you can get. If he tells you he'll behave so that you'll ride with him, the first time he pulls a stunt, break off and go home.

If it were me, I would tell him to knock if off and stop watching so much speed vision on T.V. Then I would remind him of his family. And last your not going to ride with him anymore, becuase you dont want to see him get hurt and you yourself dont want to get hurt. Some times tho im sorry to say you have to let people learn the hard way. Good luck.:beerchug:

JUst wait for the right moment an pull him aside and tell him. one more thing stop riding w/ him you going to get in trouble too.

If you guys were closer we could take him to see one of my coworkers husbands that has been in a coma since October due to head injury in a car crash. Yeah it was a cage but a head injury is a head injury.

Then he could have a talk with her about how she is losing just about everything due to mounting medical bills.

Bad things happen quick and it's always those left that pay the biggest price.

To answer the question, I'd just tell him straight out. There's a place and a time for everything and a public street isn't it. Enough things go bad when stunts are done in controlled areas, add in the uncertainty of the streets and it's just a matter of time until the state gets his license and lots of his money or he ends up at room temperature. And once the state gets his license the first time, especially for riding as he is, he will be lucky if any insurance company will cover him on a bike, especially one with an X or a Z in the model.

Don't worry about it...........the problem will fix itself :laugh: Either he'll learn one of the lessons we all have to learn in life.....or he won't. It's not your job to be his daddy, besides what you say isn't going to do anything but piss you and him both off :poke:

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not sure how to say it loud enough that he really listens, but not so harshly that he's offended and ignores it.

Don't hold back anything! If he gets offended, it's because he knows you are right! I have a friend the wants to buy a GSXR1000 when he's still intimidated by his 929. I told him flat out "hell no!" I'm not ready to bury a friend just because he has an ego.

Good luck and God Speed.

Last edited:
I would never tell someone how to ride unless they were paying me to do so. I have on occasions suggested a change to improve ones skills and yep, I've even given out a little advise on how to improve one's wheelies.

So my theory is, if you can do better wheelies than your friend and have positive input to improve his fun time, then by all means offer up a suggestion. Other than that, I'd leave the guy alone and let him have all the fun he wants. If the man in blue hauls him off to jail, offer to get his bike home so it doesn't get towed. But for goodness sake, don't go poking your nose someplace it doesn't belong.

If it bothers you that much, you may put your arm around his shoulder after a good wheelie and say, "Hot Damn, that was a great wheelie! Plenty good enough to get you a $3500 reckless ticket" and give him a big smile :thumbsup:

First and foremost tell him CUT THE S**T! then tell him you won't ride with him because he attracts too much attention from LEO,and you and the other riders don't need that type of aggrevation.Leave the wife and kids part out of it.Then you tell him there is a time and place for stunting and public roads is not one of them.Find a place where its cool and stunt till you stop. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Tell him to think about how his child would feel if he were gone. if he blows that off ask him how he would feel if another man was raising his child. Some people just dont get it.

Back