NEED HELP QUICK! Clutch bleed issues....

05turbobusa

Registered
I just traded for my first busa (2005), and the guy I got it from had it sitting in the garage for like a year. The bike only has 995 miles on it. The clutch will not engage unless you pump it a few times then it works like normal. I figured it had air in the line so I attemted to bleed the air. I tried every way i know including using a mity vac...... Now when I pull the clutch it engages fine, but when I put it in gear and go to let out on the clutch it just jumps and dies when I let it out about half a inch. I took the master cyl. cap off and tried the clutch. When I let out on it, it squirts fluid out when I let out about half an inch. (the same place it jumps and dies) So im guessing the fluid is by-passing something.

Is the master cyl. bad?
If so do you know where I can get a re-build kit?

Any help would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks, Dustin

you still have air in it... it takes a good 8 to 12 ounces to bleed these out... run a hose off bleeder to a cup on the floor.. helps a ton..

Just open the bleeder and let gravity do the work.. if you pump, you just make it take longer..

you still have air in it... it takes a good 8 to 12 ounces to bleed these out... run a hose off bleeder to a cup on the floor.. helps a ton..

Just open the bleeder and let gravity do the work.. if you pump, you just make it take longer..

What he said.
His post count is not indicative of his knowledge. :laugh:

I used a mityvac and sucked about 8 oz through the system, but did not try the gravity thing. I will try that and see if it makes a difference. I hope you are right and I do not need a master rebuild......

Thanks, Dustin

Is your kickstand down? Killswitch located on the kickstand will do this as well.

No the kickstand is up. I can make the bike take off if I give it gas, but its like dumping the clutch when it catches. It seems to me like its letting fluid pass by too fast, releasing the clutch all at once.

I can ease the clutch out really slow and inch the bike forward, then pull the clutch back in and it doesnt engage the clutch completly like it was before I eased out on it. Its like there is still a load.

I cant see how it could still be an air pocket but I have been wrong before too.....
I hope it is.....

my post count.... :rofl: I get reset to 0 every time I step on toes and then I get these custom titles to boot....

::::repeat to self:::::: ::::::moderator neutral:::::::: :rofl:

bout time to go to zero again...

Okay, I tried the gravity bleed and I still have the same problem. :banghead: I think it has to be a bad seal somewhere because of the way it loses all pressure at the same spot everytime. Does anybody have a write-up on how to tear down and check the slave cyl. etc.....

Thanks, Dustin

if the slave was bad, it would be puking fluid out... forget that unless you have a leak on to the ground.. it is just a simple piston with a seal around it (will pop right out in your and if you want to give it a tug..)

could be the master is damaged or has a bad seal.. if you could pull the line, block off the fitting and then exercise the thing, you might be able to see if it is bypassing..

I can say I had heck of a time the first time I bled the clutch system on mine.. found it was easier to completely drain the thing and start from empty..

I tore the master cylinder down and found that the rubber around the piston has a tear in it. I ordered a rebuild kit. Hopefully that will fix my problem. I also noticed something weird when I drained my fluid. There were pieces of orange silicone gasket maker in the bottom of the resivor. What could that be from?

Some had same issue and tried to patch it instead of doing it right the first time, or there is underlying issues someone tried to fix/cover up.
Posted via Mobile Device

I tore the master cylinder down and found that the rubber around the piston has a tear in it. I ordered a rebuild kit. Hopefully that will fix my problem. I also noticed something weird when I drained my fluid. There were pieces of orange silicone gasket maker in the bottom of the resivor. What could that be from?
Some dingleberry thought "silicone" sealant would be a good idea on the cap.... probably bought some cheap crap chrome thing and it was seeping fluid so out comes the "rookie in a tube" spooge...

I have seen the stuff used on gas tanks too (even worse idea)...

I thought the same thing, but there was no trace on silicone on the cap. Only in the bottom stuck around the fluid intake. Maybe somebody tried silicone before then tried to clean it up, but missed the bottom.....Dunno

Back