Need help picking a tire for the wifes bike

black diamond busa

Team Jacob
Registered
Well we need to change tires, sprockets and chain. I would like some input on tires as she's a beginner and I look for good grip in a tire as she needs one that does everything well. The bike is an 03 Yamaha r6. Need a tire with good grip good water manners and good life.

Dunlop Q2. Wont get the 5k plus miles of other tires, but it is very stable and will serve you well.

Did several of my track sessions this year riding in the rain and on Q2s. Outstanding stick. I'll give up mileage for grip any day cause when you need grip you can't pull over and check to see if you have any....:laugh:

Seriously, you need to evaluate the type of riding you wish to do. If you go with some type of touring tire you are certainly giving up some amount of grip for longer life and maybe better wet weather performance. With a Q2 or BT16 etc you get more grip, but give up some longevity.

Well I run q2s on my busa and love them and get decent milage out of them. They do well in the rain and I have no complaints about them. I just wasnt sure if they would be the tires she needs since its a lighter bike and she just wants to learn how to ride.

Well I run q2s on my busa and love them and get decent milage out of them. They do well in the rain and I have no complaints about them. I just wasnt sure if they would be the tires she needs since its a lighter bike and she just wants to learn how to ride.

Then she will be the only one to pass judgement on. There are a lot of really good platforms available, she will need to "try on a few pair of shoes" before finding the "one".
A new rider shouldn't be out there testing the grip limits or wet weather stick, at least I didn't way back when. Buy a tire with good all around performance and focus on good life saving heads-up riding technique.
I'm sure OEM rubber for that bike will be more than sufficient for a new rider, heck, for most riders really.
Good luck with the decision!

Then she will be the only one to pass judgement on. There are a lot of really good platforms available, she will need to "try on a few pair of shoes" before finding the "one".
A new rider shouldn't be out there testing the grip limits or wet weather stick, at least I didn't way back when. Buy a tire with good all around performance and focus on good life saving heads-up riding technique.
I'm sure OEM rubber for that bike will be more than sufficient for a new rider, heck, for most riders really.
Good luck with the decision!

Thanks that's why I asked I have ridden before and know what I want in a tire and hopefully she's not going to test grip but rain performance is a must as you never know when you will get caught in it

Not going to even touch the riding in the rain issue. :laugh:

Ask Semi. He likes what he runs and gets about 100K miles out of a rear tire.

If your intent is to keep her upright during the early days of the learning curve when she is the most likely to make mistakes that will put her on her head, by all means give her a nice grippy front tire. The rear doesn't matter so much. The front tire is the control point of the motorcycle and the most likely tire to produce a getoff during these early days. The more stick she has on the front the more likely she is to remain upright.

A touring tire such as the Pirelli Angel or Pilot Road is more likely to give up grip when she has a panic moment on the brakes vs the Q2 or S20. It's your decision. Good judgment and common sense goes a long way towards keeping her upright!

I have to go with Tufbusa line of thought, I am not an aggressive rider but I am running a S20 on front and BT-023 on the rear of my Busa and really suit my riding style. Appreciate the extra grip in the front, and extra longevity on the sport-touring rear. At Busa Stampede we got caught in a heavy rainstorm going over Ebbets Pass and descending from 10,000 ft through tight windy mountain roads. No issues with the tires at all.

Back