NEED HELP Identifying (negative) coil wire

Big Tuna

Donating Member
Registered
I have been looking through the service manual on cd trying to find which of the 2 wires is the negative. Each coil "sparkplug" boot has 2 wires, 1 being gray. The other wire is a multistripe or tracer. which is the negative?

(Big Tuna @ Apr. 19 2007,11:27) I have been looking through the service manual on cd trying to find which of the 2 wires is the negative. Each coil "sparkplug" boot has 2 wires, 1 being gray. The other wire is a multistripe or tracer. which is the negative?
I'm about 99.999% "Certain" that the gray wire must be the ground due to the fact that the gray wire is the only thing common to the 4 plug boots...so all other multi-color tracer wires must be "The Signal Wires" which i believe would be "POSITIVE" in nature.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Grey is positive on all of them,the negative is the distinct color on each coil.

(GoldenChild @ Apr. 19 2007,11:40) Grey is positive on all of them,the negative is the distinct color on each coil.
WOW!....that would be a 1st for me with regards to wiring..i thought the only common denominator to all four coild would be the gray wire...as in...they all have a gray wire..which typically would all adjoin at some point...going too the only place they could all have in common...."THE GROUND"...but the striped multi-color tracers are each different colors...making me believe they are each unique signals...NOT...all adjoining at the same place.

But i'm wrong eh?
rock.gif

Wouldn't be the first time and prolly won't be the last!
laugh.gif

But at least i "tried" to help.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(GoldenChild @ Apr. 19 2007,11:40) Grey is positive on all of them,the negative is the distinct color on each coil.
your wrong...at least according to the service manual...the way i read it..

#1 White/Black ='s Pos.

#2 Blue ='s Pos

#3 Yellow ='s Pos

#4 Green ='s POS

ALL OTHER GRAY WIRES ARE GROUND!

L8R Bill.
cool.gif

i hope Big Tuna doesn't wire up anything as grey being positive as he'd be Juicing up his ground...an possible fry sump'tm somewhere's else...like...the ecu.
wow.gif

(JINKSTER @ Apr. 19 2007,14:56)

#1 White/Black ='s Pos.

#2 Blue ='s Pos

#3 Yellow ='s Pos

#4 Green ='s POS

L8R Bill.
cool.gif
Reading is fundemental:I install kill boxes all the time and should know.Read just under the coil diagram:

Positives are solid grey and negatives on the coils are the distinctive colred wires.

(GoldenChild @ Apr. 19 2007,13:06)
(JINKSTER @ Apr. 19 2007,14:56)

#1 White/Black ='s Pos.

#2 Blue ='s Pos

#3 Yellow ='s Pos

#4 Green ='s POS

L8R Bill.
cool.gif
Reading is fundemental:I install kill boxes all the time and should know.Read just under the coil diagram:

Positives are solid grey and negatives on the coils are the distinctive colred wires.
You're right...reading IS fundamental...and Daniel?... in this case?...i truely believe you'd be wise to follow my lead on this one (instead of lashing out)...as i'm sticking with what the "Suzuki Hayabusa Shop Manual" says in Section 7, Page #24...and NOT on some generic wiring diagram provided by an aftermarket electronics company

I believe the generic wiring schematic your refering to is wrong to say they are "positive"...and it may be something as simple as a typo and/or miscommunique on their part...product may very well still work as instructed and intended..but that doesn't mean their instructions and terminology are 100% consistant (or accuate) with the shop manual wiring schematic...and guess what?...they're not...and ultimately?....to the best of my knowledge?...and my interpretation of the shop manual?..you are mis-advising this member as to which of his coil wires are positive and which are negitive.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

cool.gif

Make it simple.Do you own a test light? Clip it to the positive side of the battery.Anything the test light touches that is ground,it will light.

Test lights are aroud $5.00 at any flea market or Auto parts store. If ya want a Snap-On they're $35.

Unless the coils are directional (like a diode of some kind, which I don't think they are) the wiring diagram for that kill box would function even if you reversed positive and negative to the coils, as long as the power was on the opposite side of the coils as the ecm/kill box leads. So in that case it wouldn't matter...

Back