Need help i did something real stupid.

lazerbusa

Registered
I think someone had this problem before. After taking off the rear tail section to install my new LED rear signals, I had forgotton to connect the lock for the hump onto the cable release during assembly, and... you guessed it. I clicked the hump on without it! Now I can't get it off.I tried to take off the rear tail section and even the rear light, but nothing. Any one have a solution.??

<!--EDIT|lazerbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147722917 -->

I knew what this thread was about before reading it! LOL!
laugh.gif

If all else fails, you can loosen up/remove all the pop rivets, then on the pry the tail cowling away from the undertail on the right side, with any luck (and small hands) you'll be able to reach the lock with you finger and push it toward the left... have someone hleping you by pulling up slightly on the hump, so that you won't have to push it all the way, as soon as it is close the hump will pop.

You must be patient and do the extra work.
No sense getting mad.
Sorry, but you did it to yourself.

Nothing fer nothing,but when taking off the rear tail,why not just leave the dang cable in place,and just remove the 2 phillips head screws???
You cant 'F' it up this way.....

Nothing fer nothing,but when taking off the rear tail,why not just leave the dang cable in place,and just remove the 2 phillips head screws???
You cant 'F' it up this way.....
That's what I do everytime....especially after reading the posts from folks that forgot to connect the cable.

I have done this also. This is how I got in. I drilled a 3/8 hole on the underside of the cowl about 10 inches back from the seat. Took a screwdriver (long) with a coat hanger about 6 inches bent in a hook taped to the end. I hooked the latch and moved it over. It took me about an hour.

I keep telling everyone....

QUIT TAKING THE CABLE OFF!!!! Take the 2 phillips head screws outta the bracket!!!!!!!!!!!

30 sec more of work is DEFINITELY worth the time compared to this freaking problem.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I make it a practice to put duct tape over the hole after removing the cable. YOu can still jam the hump/seat down in but you have to force it and it serves as a reminder when it doesn't go back on so easy.

I keep telling everyone....

QUIT TAKING THE CABLE OFF!!!! Take the 2 phillips head screws outta the bracket!!!!!!!!!!!

30 sec more of work is DEFINITELY worth the time compared to this freaking problem.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
+1
umnik.gif

I don't get it. I never even considered removing the cable for that very reason! The first time I removed the tail section, I backed out the 2 phillips screws! Made the best sense!

PS - when reinstalling the lock, put a washer or two between the lock ass'y and the crossbar (beneath each screw hole). This will raise the lock ass'y up a little bit and get rid of the mis-alignment of the hump and tail when it's installed.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I make it a practice to put duct tape over the hole after removing the cable. YOu can still jam the hump/seat down in but you have to force it and it serves as a reminder when it doesn't go back on so easy.
Good idea, but if you remove the screws - thereby removing the lock WITH the tail, it's impossible for you to lock yourself out!

Thanks guys. I'll f with it tommorrow. Some good ideas, I'll try them and maybe I can break my old forced entry record of an f150 with its keys locked in it, of 1 minute.
cool.gif

Hold up on the drilling and cutting. If you can't remember exactly where the release arm is go to the dealer look at it, take pics. You can snake a coated wire in there from the leftside and snag the release arm. I've seen it done. It takes time go slow. Enter just behind where the helmet hooks are. I've seen it done from the left rear corner too by prying up on the corner SLIGHTLY. I've watched the owner of my local dealer do it twice at his shop. He owns a Busa and he learned from his mistake.

Luckily I made this mistake with the "seat" now I have corbins.
biggrin.gif

Sorry I know that doesnt help.

Back