NEED HELP GUYS! Have swingarm extnsions, but chain will NOT stay tight!!

longandlow14

Registered
Hi guys,

I really need some help!! I have this 2001 hayabusa that is extended 8 inches with welded in extensions. This chain has less than 1000 miles on it, along with the sprockets, but every single time I take her on a ride for over 45 minutes, the chain gets too much slack, and needs to be tightened before I can ride her again!

I'm at a loss, and need help. I love to ride, and havent been able to ride half as much because of this issue! I am open to any and all suggestions you guys have! I will do anything as long as I can finally go on actual rides with her again.

The bike has a good amount of work done to it, and she has a 10,000 tinsle chain? I haven't been able to open her up for a long time, and am getting the itch really bad.

Thank you so much in advance, and if there is any other info, or anything needed, please just let me know as I have her ripped apart in the garage as we speak.

chaddickbusa2.jpg

sorry to say...GET THAT CHAING OFF NOW !! my bike had a cheap but high strenght chain and it was always streching untill it finally snapped with less then 2000miles on that chain. caused alot of damage. what brand is ur chain?

It is an off brand chain, I made a trip down to georgia, and had to take a chain that they had for a rocket ride they were having. I dont know the brand right now, but can check when I get back from work.

So you think it is just the chain? I don't know if thats the case though. It was doing it before(not as bad) and that's why the chain got replaced before I went on the ride. I've also heard that the tensioner screws in the extensions themselves can be bad? Is that correct?

I guess I will have to get a new chain either way because is does have a tight spot in it, what is the best for a built Gen 1?:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

tighten the chain up as you normally would. mark the swingarm at the adjustor blocks with something so you know where they are. take it for a ride. if the chain loosens up again check you marks on the adjustor blocks. if the blocks havent moved then your chain is stretching. if the blocks moved you have a different problem.

Thank you tmpowdercoating! I'm going to try it and see what happends. If the blocks do move, What problem would it be? The extensions are welded in and overbraced.:banghead:

Also, I'm interested in your deal on powdercoating. Both for 120, and I just send them to you completely assembled? Also would want all bolts done!!:please:

tighten the chain up as you normally would. mark the swingarm at the adjustor blocks with something so you know where they are. take it for a ride. if the chain loosens up again check you marks on the adjustor blocks. if the blocks havent moved then your chain is stretching. if the blocks moved you have a different problem.

Do this and be side the resr axel is torqued properly, stock is 82lbs I believe, not sure if the extensions make it different or not.

Personally, if its not a ZZZ chain, I'd take it off immediately. A broken chain can leave ya stranded on a good day, or put a hole in your motor and cause a crash on a bad day. Your bikes a beauty and I'd hate to hear ya wrecked from something preventable.

Thank you sir! And zzz chains are that much better? Will they handle nitrous? I have only ran it twice, and maybe it is the chain itself. I don't know. I'm kind of at a loss at this point. I've had a few other bikes, and finally decided to take a step up, and have never had a problem before. I know stretching the bike is the main factor here, but, I didn't think it would effect my riding this bad.

This is by far the best bike i have ever owned, but I want to get her ready for the next season so I dont have to worry about her. I already have 2 trips planned from wisconsin to Georgia, and this cannot happen.

It really sounds like the chain is stretching to me. Busa's put down a lot of torque which is tough on the chain. The factory puts a zzz on and they know what,they built. Go shopping for a new chain. :thumbsup:

Considering the consequences of either the blocks or the chain failing, I'd consider buying some good name brand replacements for both, honestly....yeah, its more $, but the confidence is worth it in my opinion.

I'm hoping it's not the extensions, but just the chain. If it were the extensions, anybody have an 8 over underbraced swingarm for sale? haha

Thank you tmpowdercoating! I'm going to try it and see what happends. If the blocks do move, What problem would it be? The extensions are welded in and overbraced.:banghead:

Also, I'm interested in your deal on powdercoating. Both for 120, and I just send them to you completely assembled? Also would want all bolts done!!:please:

Just thought of something else. Do the bolts your adjusting have jam nuts on them?

And yes just unbolt and ship. Bolts are an extra $1 each. You can find all the info at T&M POWDERCOATING - Home. Click on the "how to ship" tab

Buy a ZVX2 ZST Chain ......Factory chains aren't zzz chains they aren't even ek chains... The stockers are RK GSV3 530 chains... check wheel alignment for spacers being on correct side and chain is in line with front sprocket. If it's a volar chain junk it. Be sure it's adjusted right evenly per side by taking a measurement from the swingarm center pivot bolt on each side. Don't go off the welded in extension marks. They could be wrong, off and not even welded in exact same spot on each side making them off.. Set your slack, set jam nuts and snug with added half turn on rear axle add carter key...

Completely off subject but what color is your bike and is it a flat or gloss? Also post up some more pictures as it looks great. I have a zzz chain that I just put on mine this last spring. It did stretch in the break in period but after that it hasn't at all.

like i said i hada off brand and it ripped the tail off my bike and broke the engine case. well i have a new bike with extensions and a ZVX2 chain. it hasnt streched at all in the 2000 miles i have on it. my no name chain i could tighten almost everyday

Do this and be side the resr axel is torqued properly, stock is 82lbs I believe, not sure if the extensions make it different or not.

Personally, if its not a ZZZ chain, I'd take it off immediately. A broken chain can leave ya stranded on a good day, or put a hole in your motor and cause a crash on a bad day. Your bikes a beauty and I'd hate to hear ya wrecked from something preventable.
72 but double chk me

Thank you for all the responses guys!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm in the process of tearing her down right now, and will keep everybody updated. Always open to new suggestions as well, so any more information would definitely appreciated!

And the bike is flat white. Here are some more pictures of her.

chaddickbusa10.jpg

chaddickbusa11.jpg

chaddickbusa12.jpg

chaddickbusa3.jpg

chaddickbusa4.jpg

chaddickbusa5.jpg

chaddickbusa6.jpg

chaddickbusa7.jpg

chaddickbusa8.jpg

chaddickbusa9.jpg

Back