Need Help!!! Front Brakes

IchigoHayabusa

Registered
Checked my front brakes and loosen the wrong bolt and brake fluid dripped out, pushed in the pistons to refit my pads and topped up the master cylinder and now my brakes arent working. Pumped the brakes God knows how many times and it seemed as if pressure was coming back to them but to no avail. Can someone help me? Do I need to get a bleeding system kit or is there another way around this?

just "bumping" it the top of the list to keep it active in hopes someone can answer the question...
beerchug.gif

you need to bleed them. it sounds like you got air in them. (i could be wrong, but if they worked before and now they dont, it sounds like air got in the lines)...
I'm really sick right now and don't feel well enough to type out a detailed explanation on bleeding brakes, so do a search on brake bleeding...
Hope this helps

Sounds like you allowed air in the system. Bleed them brother and don't let brake fluid get on anything painted.
super.gif

Bleeding brakes isn't hard. Pump the brake lever 5 times holding the lever as close to the grip as possible on the 5th pump. Starting on the left (or farthest distance side first) while still compressing the brake lever with your hand, open the bleeder valve on the brakes until all of the pressure is releived from your hand and fluid stops coming out of the fitting. Tighten the bleeder valve then release the lever. Pump five more times and repeat bleeding procedure. After every third bleed refill the brake fluid. The resevoir cap MUST be replaced after every refill. DO this procedure twice per side (or more if you are getting a consistent flow of air out of the line) and see if that doesn't help. * Helpful hint * If you put a small diameter hose (1/4" or 6mm) on the bleeder valve you can direct the fluid flow into a container to keep everything clean. The proper type of brake fluid can be found listed in the owners manual or on the brake fluid cap.
Good Luck

That's exactly what I do, but I always have help. It makes it easier depending on the help and amount of adult beverage consumed. I make sure the bleeder valve is closed before the lever hits the grip. Releasing the lever before it's closed could suck air back in the system.

Sounds like he has no pressure in the system. To bleed it there has to be some fluid action to bleed the air. Hope there is a post on it worked and not out in the ditch.
SHOCKED.gif

Went to the store and got some tubing and some more brake fluid and will be bleeding the brakes tomorrow...hope this works...Thanks everyone for your input...after I'm done I'll let everyone know how it worked and hopefully I wont be in a ditch!!
AAAssjani.gif

Bleeding is required anytime you open the system, which you did when you turned the union bolt on the brake caliper. Bleeding procedure has been explained but I will caution you that brake fluid will remove paint. Make sure you wipe any spils up immediately and then wash your bike when your finished.
It will take much longer to wash your bike than it does to bleed the brakes.
Good luck.
Nick

Yup, agree, need to break down and purchase a mityvac.. and some fluid. Just think of it as a jump start to your annual brake fluid change (suggested for Dot 4 users).
wow.gif

Melissa

Well I bled the brakes this evening, and it will stop but I'm not comfortable because it doesnt have the same firmness like it had before, like I needed to pull it in more. Do I have to bleed both calipers on the front or just one? And do I need to just do the one that I loosened?

With dual disc front brakes you do need to bleed both sides as they are seperate systems. Some air will remain in the line but you should have a solid feel once you bleed both sides. If you don't then repeat the bleeding to eliminate more air and inspect the line to make sure fittings are tight. Appox. one week later of use, the microbubbles will collect and need to be bled off... this is when either you use the Mityvac again or better yet, a Galfer bleeder bolt overnight or speedbleeders which are awesome.
Feel free to PM or email me at work if you need more input. Melissa, Cyclebrakes.com

Hi , newbee to the Busa, just got mine at weekend, what can I say but
bowdown.gif
, nuff of that. echo of busa_bird is that you must bleed both calipers; If you pull in the lever with the bleed nut loose and shut the bleed nut as you hit the grip and release, loosen nut pull in to grip and tighten, you get into a rythm and it gets easy, if you still have trouble you could try an old trick which is to leave a zip tie around the grip and over the lever over night (holding lever pulled), this will expel any air bubbles you have trapped by keeping pressure on the system.
super.gif

(silver @ Jul. 20 2007,10:43) Hi , newbee to the Busa, just got mine at weekend, what can I say but
bowdown.gif
, nuff of that. echo of busa_bird is that you must bleed both calipers; If you pull in the lever with the bleed nut loose and shut the bleed nut as you hit the grip and release, loosen nut pull in to grip and tighten, you get into a rythm and it gets easy, if you still have trouble you could try an old trick which is to leave a zip tie around the grip and over the lever over night (holding lever pulled), this will expel any air bubbles you have trapped by keeping pressure on the system.  
super.gif
Expel them where?

They go to the only point in the systyem which holds air. The master cylinder, I don't know the physics of why, just know it works because I have tried it after being given the tip by a Mechanic of 30 years.

Back