Need help! Bike shut off.

MEBusa

Registered
Any suggestions:

Went out for a ride today, bike running well. Never had an issue with her before. On my way back home, I got stuck in traffic that was barely moving, on the interstate for about 30 min. It's about 90 degrees out, and the sun is beaming on top of me. The pavement and my legs feels like it's 200 degrees.

I finally get moving, got off the interstate and about 15 min. later, while I'm still riding, the bike started sputtering, then she shut off. I rolled into a had station, bike she won't crank. Sounds like the battery doesn't have enough juice to crank it now.

Only thing I can think of is the stator, charging system, failed while I was riding. Any thoughts?

I'm still stranded by the way. Waiting on my son to get me. Thx

I had the same issue one time with my 05, had to replace the battery and all was well. Sitting for a long time at just an idle will kill a weak battery. Once you get it started use a voltmeter and test your output. Should get over 13.5 volts at 5k.

Gen I or II ? Gen I , check the battery, or fully charge it. These bikes ( some not all ) can't take sitting still in the heat. Fan runs, and Gen I at idle doesn't do a lot of charging.

1) Fully charge that battery

2) Get it load tested

3) Get out of those traffic jams when you can

Thanks for responding.

Gen II.

Perhaps I'm thinking of a car, but I was under the impression that, once the bike is running, it will remain running, as long as the charging device (alternator) is working properly. The battery is only needed for cranking. No?

The bike cranks, starts and runs off the battery. The Stator and voltage regulator keep the battery charged. Has the bike had the voltage regulator replaced under the recall ? This was supposedly a heat issue.

What you mentioned is the fire, you still have air and fuel to be concerned with.

Let me add this, not that it is relevant to your situation. I was recently stuck in bumper to bumper traffic on the interstate because of a wreck. It was terrible. I have an '08 and have been caught several times in bad traffic. I think my bike got as hot as it ever has. The fans cut in and it was like someone was holding a giant blow dryer in front of my face. My thighs got so hot I was starting to hurt and I have a high threshold for pain. That B was hot. But it never went above half gauge and it never stopped running or even missed.

I'm running what the factory sent me when it comes to battery.

+1 on checking the rectifier recall status and load testing the battery.......never ideal leaving the bike idling for long periods especially with dual fans but the rectifier/generator whilst not producing the proper voltage for full recharging it will still run the bike electrics without draining a healthy battery

Internal shorts in the battery is not uncommon. You can usually tell if the positive terminal is extremely hot to the touch. This can also be a sign of something electrical shorting out but every time I have seen it its been the battery itself. If the battery is more than a couple years old I would just get a new one anyway.

08-09 ignition switch wire recall as well. cause? oem tie cranked too tight on the wire itself. just throwing that out there just in case.:whistle:

Kickstand switch failure.
I had been having an intermittent sputtering and shutting off. Only my problem was everytime I but a bump (rare in SoFla) it would sputter or flick off for a second and then come back on. I'm pretty sure I fixed it by bending the tab on kickstand out a little more so it would depress kickstand switch some more. Seems like it fixed it but again around here I actuall have to search for a bump or hole to test it on.

Just one more thing you may want to check because if your switch completely failed it would shut off and not crank.,

Thanks all. No I haven't done the rectifier recall. I'll have to schedule a slot at the dealership for a replacement. And perhaps it is time for a new battery. I had it since I bought the bike new in 09 (original battery), even though I keep it on a battery tender, if I don't ride within a week.

Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks all. No I haven't done the rectifier recall. I'll have to schedule a slot at the dealership for a replacement. And perhaps it is time for a new battery. I had it since I bought the bike new in 09 (original battery), even though I keep it on a battery tender, if I don't ride within a week.

Thanks for all the replies.
It took my dealer 30 minutes to do the recall. You can't place a price on peace of mind, but your battery is a year younger than mine and all I do is ride. Never been on a tender or any type of charger period. Best of luck. Check the kickstand switch I had forgotten all about that one.

Thanks. I called the dealership today. They have the part on order, should be here Wednesday. I will look into the kick stand switch too. As far as the ignition switch. I gave the dealer my VIN# and they didn't see a recall on it, for my bike. I'll give a follow up, on this issue soon.

Thanks. I called the dealership today. They have the part on order, should be here Wednesday. I will look into the kick stand switch too. As far as the ignition switch. I gave the dealer my VIN# and they didn't see a recall on it, for my bike. I'll give a follow up, on this issue soon.

When I did the recall, the guys at my shop looked for the VIN on three issues. Rectifier, Ignition wire routing, and clutch bolts. My Vin was only listed for the rectifier, but was close on the range for the ignition wire routing issue , so they checked it. They cranked the bike and played with the clutch a little and said it's fine.

I had to give them credit on saying the one number while not in range was close so they checked it.

Back