Need help again

joncook06

Registered
My bike is on stands back wheel off, and I can't get the front axle out! I've read the threads but it's not working. I loosened the two bolts where the tool goes in and tightened the other side. My impact gun won't turn it. I'm using a 1/2'' drive 18" breaker bar and it will turn barely but it's not backing out. Please help i just want to have chrome rims, is that too much to ask?:please::please::please:

if it is turning, keep going.. it is a very fine thread... you can spray a little WD on the clamp side that is loose, might help a little..

keep turning...(it should loosen up pretty fast)

nut stripped? did not think it was possible to hose the axle like that

pics pls

What nut did you strip? Gen II, right? I assume you are talking about the head of the bolt that goes into the axle on the right side? That nut should not be sieze. Did you loosen the pinch bolts on the fork leg on the right side? If not, that could be your problem? Loosen the pinch bolts and resort to a pipe wrench and try it again.

OH! And make G*d D*mn sure you are turning the bolt counterclockwise!

If it's a Gen2...you can loosen the pinch bolts on BOTH sides. Then use a axle tool on the left side and a socket on the right side :thumbsup:

Sorry not a nut on the bike, i meant the nut i was using in the socket (makeshift axle tool) I tried all 4 pinch bolts loose and it turns real easy it just didn't feel like it was going anywhere, i'll try that some more, maybe i gave up too soon.

Sorry not a nut on the bike, i meant the nut i was using in the socket (makeshift axle tool) I tried all 4 pinch bolts loose and it turns real easy it just didn't feel like it was going anywhere, i'll try that some more, maybe i gave up too soon.

Once you remove the 'bolt' from the right side...you have to push the axle out.

you have to be kidding, why does everyone talk about the axle tool? Is it just to hold the axle so they can get the bolt out the other side?

you have to be kidding, why does everyone talk about the axle tool? Is it just to hold the axle so they can get the bolt out the other side?

On the Gen1 '99-'07 you need the tool...on a Gen2...you can remove the right side bolt, loosen the pinch bolts and then remove the axle :thumbsup:

The axle tool helps when you put it back together, but not needed to pull it apart.

When you put it back together, axle tool on one side, socket and a torque wrench on the other...tighten it up to 72.5 ft lbs. Then the pinch bolts to 16.5 ft lbs...caliper bolts to 28 ft lbs.

Any Pics of the Damage???

I'm really confused how you stripped the nut. I thought it was a breeze to remove the front axle when I change my front tire.

Back