NEED HELP - 91 Camaro speed sensor replacement

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
I have a 91 Camaro rs.

Speedometor jumps and for the most part doesnt work.

someone I know who has an autoshop said it was the speed sensor.

So I bought one off ebay.

I would like to know where it is located and what do I need to watch out for a do when I replace it.

I looked in the shop manual I have and I cant find anything on it.

I googled it and didnt find much helpful

The best I can tell is that it is supposed to be on the transmission, on the driver side, near the rear.

And I need to have a drip pan ready because when I will it out tranny fluid is going to dump.

Anyone have any experiance? pictures? (I am good with pictures :D )

Advice?

I have a 92 service manual. The speed sensor is located in the tail shaft of the transmission on the drivers side, and it takes a special tool (J-38417) to remove it.

Good luck...

Just lift the car sufficiently high on the left side, use one jack stand on each end, and the drippage should be negligible Brother..... :super:

Special tool ????....(J-38417).....channel locks, or needle nose ????........

Hey Ron....you could probably make something like this.......

I'm also thinking...maybe a 90 degree pair of needlenose as it's designed to grab, and yank......with finesse of course.... :oldcool:

146909077_o.jpg

Last edited:
Ahhh the o'l special tool scenario!! gotta love it.

Ok, thanks guys. Especially the advice about jacking it up on one side to help reduce fluid leakage :thumbsup:

Fricken special tools. I HATE special tools :banghead:

:laugh:

Think I will try and get to it either today or tomorrow...

massage that thing in so you do not cut the o-ring on it.. ( a bit of ATF will help)

Have you modded the Camaro? I remember reading a Hot Rod magazine article way back in the day that detailed some easy power mods to that car.

Have you modded the Camaro? I remember reading a Hot Rod magazine article way back in the day that detailed some easy power mods to that car.

No, no mods.

It used to be mine and I passed it down to my 17 year old son. not worrying about making it faster :banghead:

:laugh:

I had to change the one on top of my differential when I had that problem. I had two on the tranny also, they were fine. It turns out the sensor was good, the wire had broken and I just re-attached it. This was on a jeep liberty '02

The '91 sensors were different depending on axle ratio. I hope you already knew this when you bought one. Also, the gear that goes on it is separate and varies by tire size and ratio as well. The gear could be worn and be the cause of the jumpy speedo.

Back