Need advise on SV650

Gpmo

Registered
I went and looked at a sv650 for my buddy. His first bike. I have little experience with them.
It's a 2001 and looks almost new. Other than very little scratches on the tank from normal riding this bike is new looking. No oil leaking anywhere. Oil smells good brand new tires. Looks really nice. It hadnt been started several weeks and started right up with no choke The kicker is the guy used it as a touring bike and it has 28k miles on it. I'm not sure what to expect from this motor. The price is $2k firm.

As I said it would be my buddy's first ride and we plan on doing some touring. Does this seem like a descent price?

Sounds like a great deal. From the ones that I have heard that own these bikes, they love them. As long as the proper maint. has been done, it should do all that your friend wants it to.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughts. He is going to buy it today. Yay for having people to ride with.

I'm pretty sure the Suzuki 650 twin will outlast the normal rider.. I wouldn't walk away from one that was mint with 40K miles. But that's just me. The ONLY problem with the pre -2003's is that they are carbed instead of fuel injected. But if they are taken care of and stored properly, you shouldn't have any issues! Go for it!!

I've worked with quite a few of these high mileage is nothing to be scared of as long as there's evidence of regular servicing...deceptively quick, torquey with that satisfying twin thump and easy to handle, the only fly in the ointment is the flaky finish... other than that go for it...I'd buy one myself for using in the winter....

i owned one it will be a great first bike and those miles are nothing for an sv. all they need is your normal valve adjustments and oil changes and they are good to go.

It even fits in the back of my work van. Welcome a brand new rider to the road.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1298590979.016660.jpg

He's was happy, then we get right into town and the wind is blowing and it starts snowing. Poor guy.

a great first bike. Bought both my sons 08's for their first rode bikes and they learned a great deal with them. Basically bullet proof and very forgiving with plenty of power to enjoy the ride. And on the tight twisties they are able to keep up with most other sport bikes. Top speed just around 135 but gets there plenty fast.

Your opinions have really encouraged my buddy with his purchase. Ease of mind means a lot to new riders.

My other buddy Is picking up a 2009 Kawasaki en6r brand new today If the weather calms down. They are roommates and both acting like little giggling school girls.

I continue to tell them to read the threads here. So far they have stuck to the safety and riding tips section. Thanks for those threads also, it's been a big help.

I had a SV 400 a silver one.Other than the normal wears and tears its a good bike:thumbsup:

Back