NEED ADVICE SPUN ROD BEARING REBUILD

SR-71

Registered
Hi everyone,

I could use a little advice and help with the rebuild of my motor

I’m a little confused with a few of the steps delineated in the manual, I’ve been diligently reading the board but I still have a few questions:

1. Does anybody have a complete parts list for a spun rod bearing rebuild?

2. Can I leave the oil pump in and still remove the crankshaft?

3. Thoughts on purchasing a used rod off eBay? And if yes, should I look for one with the same bearing color code as the one I’m replacing? (it sounds a little silly now that I asked but I still need reassurance… LOL)

4. I was fortunate in that the single journal was able to be micro polished. But now my question is should I replace all main bearings and rod bearings? (Very low mileage 7000 since new)

5. Complete gasket kit?

A. What else should I order if it’s not included within the complete gasket kit

6. COMPLETELY SCARY TO ME – I don’t plan on removing the transmission but I need to know the proper placement and any tips or tricks concerning the transmission forks when I joined the cases

7. Alternatives for Suzuki’s Molly paste, assembly lube, thread lock, and etc. as called for by the manual

8. Discount parts sources… I’ve been using PARTSZILLA… I’m on a budget so I’m trying to find parts that are least expensive

ANY TIPS OR TRICKS OR HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Thanks everybody for your helpful suggestions and insights

Yours truly,
SR 71

Hi everyone,

I could use a little advice and help with the rebuild of my motor

I’m a little confused with a few of the steps delineated in the manual, I’ve been diligently reading the board but I still have a few questions:

1. Does anybody have a complete parts list for a spun rod bearing rebuild?

2. Can I leave the oil pump in and still remove the crankshaft?

3. Thoughts on purchasing a used rod off eBay? And if yes, should I look for one with the same bearing color code as the one I’m replacing? (it sounds a little silly now that I asked but I still need reassurance… LOL)

4. I was fortunate in that the single journal was able to be micro polished. But now my question is should I replace all main bearings and rod bearings? (Very low mileage 7000 since new)

5. Complete gasket kit?

A. What else should I order if it’s not included within the complete gasket kit

6. COMPLETELY SCARY TO ME – I don’t plan on removing the transmission but I need to know the proper placement and any tips or tricks concerning the transmission forks when I joined the cases

7. Alternatives for Suzuki’s Molly paste, assembly lube, thread lock, and etc. as called for by the manual

8. Discount parts sources… I’ve been using PARTSZILLA… I’m on a budget so I’m trying to find parts that are least expensive
Or atleast
ANY TIPS OR TRICKS OR HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Thanks everybody for your helpful suggestions and insights

Yours truly,
SR 71
HI. Have you ever been inside a motor? Have you ever worked on cars or bikes? If not DO NOT DO IT! Or at least do not try to do it cheep. You can do it 4 ways. 1 Buy a used motor and put it in. 2 used motor and have a shop put it in. 3 rebuilt it your self. 4 Have a shop rebuild it. I have seen tons of people that try to do the work them self, but make it 10 times as bad. They come in the shop I work at every day and hope we can fix it for them. We all know GOOD WORK IS NOT CHEEP AND ITS NOT FAST!

Hi michael,

I'm very experienced in auto racing and aviation… Just never torn down a bike motor … Thanks for the heads up but I have to forge ahead… Any tips or tricks?
Thank you

Yeah, don't be afraid of a bike transmission.
It's not a big deal.

^^I agree with michael. If you are going through the work and replacing parts, have a look at some REAL parts! These engines seem to do quite well on boost with stock engines (generally speaking of course) but if the cost is not too much more, I'd replace with some heavy duty parts and make plans for turbo.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. At least it seems to have happened without causing severe damage to you or the engine. I have yet to hear of anyone being injured by one these rod bearing failures. Many times people have something bust out of the engine case and spill oil all out the back at some pretty good speeds, I gather.

As far as the oil pump, seems that would depend on whether the gear was positioned above or below the gear on the crankshaft. The crankshaft must need to get lifted straight up to install it and if the oil pump gear is anything lower than dead on vertical, it will be in the way. Oil pumps are not hard to remove given you will be disassembling most of the engine anyway. The whole clutch needs to come out but what's that compared to a crankshaft?

I don't think there is really a cheap way outta this.. unless your gonna reuse the pistons and rods... and do a "refresh".... u absolutely sure the crank is ok??? maybe its time to have a conversation with an engine builder? itll be cheaper than u think.. and youll KNOW its done right and you will have a working relationship with someone... built motor?

Hello again everyone,

Special thanks to sixpack577, RansomT, michael parris heuberger, Mythos, ali123. For taking the time to reply for my request for help

The reason I asked about the used rod off eBay is that I read a few posts on the board relating to a spun rod in which the conversations seem to encourage and conclude the purchase of a used crankshaft and rods off eBay as acceptable replacements for a stock rebuild… I took this to be the consensus of the board thus the question I asked relating to a rod purchase via eBay…

Where I can purchase a complete gasket kit… And are there any other items that I may need to purchase that are not included within the kit

The one concern I do have about a complete gasket kit is the HEAD GASKET I don't want to install a head gasket from the kit that may be inferior in some way

Is there a particular brand of head gasket that I should consider

Thanks again for all the input…

man... you are gonna have to BUILD up a new motor... size bearings/use platiguage.. there are very competent builders that earn a living from building motors.... if you are near NY... call powerhouse... furthermore.... u should check valves... if the cams come off the motor... do u know how to degree cams? its a lot of stuff... and if u do it yourself... no guarantees.. it could throw a rod and ruin everything... cases included.... find a used motor if u don't wanna build a motor... used motor with some sorta warranty....

The reason I asked about the used rod off eBay is that I read a few posts on the board relating to a spun rod in which the conversations seem to encourage and conclude the purchase of a used crankshaft and rods off eBay as acceptable replacements for a stock rebuild… I took this to be the consensus of the board thus the question I asked relating to a rod purchase via eBay…

I have no knowledge with which to advise you on that. seems there might be pros and cons to one that is worn in. Would it need t wear in again when put in a different motor woulg be my concern. Also, is there anything wrong with it. Chances are it would be fine but that is a lot of work to do without being sure you had good parts. I have no idea what new rods cost but I would probably not buy used to save 25% on one rod and if it was being sold for half the price of new, that would concern me also. Just too iffy after having one let go already.

at a minimum I would have it checked to make sure it isn't out of round... damn man.. call powerhouse... chat frank up.. he has all the advice and parts you need... then you aren't guessing and worrying all the time... it wont be as expensive as u think.... depending on how far u go with the rebuild

Who polished the crank for you?
And who is doing the work?
Do you know why it spun a bearing?
As for the oil pump, it needs to be at least cleaned and inspected

Back