NEED ADVICE ON REMOVING PAINT FROM CAR

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
I am starting to take apart the 1970 camaro and working on it piece by piece.

Other than taking it down and having someone sand blast it, what is another way I can remove the paint from the vehicle? (outside, inside, engine compartment, trunk, everywhere)

I tried using a sanding wheel. I don’t think that is going to cut it.

I remember seeing some kind of paint stripper you put on a drill, not sure how well they work or where to get one.

I have also used Naval Jelly which is a liquid, that seemed to work well on rust, not sure how it would work as far as dissolving paint and what kind of mess it would make.

Just not sure which way to go at this point. I need to be able to get into a lot of the cracks and crevices including taking the hood off and stripping the underside of all paint.

Anyone have any advice?

Thrash,

A wire wheel works wonders. (say that 7 times fast!)

Sandblasting can distort panels but is Okey Dokey on frame parts & HD shid.

There are chemical paint strippers but you've gotta use em in a very well ventalited ares. Be careful not to get em on amy rubber moulding you wanna save. Wear gloves. Be carefull or you'll be short a couple of brain cells when you're done.

fire works well too but you gotta be careful on panels.

a heat gun works well & you don't have to be careful on panels, but watch out for th etrim.

Hope it helps!

Oh yeah,

the device to which you are referring is called a roto strip. Metal wire flopping around a rotating drum. Had one a long long time ago in a land far far away. Never actually used it on a car tho...

And another thought...

They make flexable flap sanding wheels that do really well. I think the brand name is Flex-o-vit, or sumptin like that.

Here is a link to the super flap disk on the flex-o-vit site.

Flex linkey

You use them in an ngle grinder and they kick a$$. Careful you don't go through the panel tho.

pics we need pics
biggrin.gif

I'd avoid chems. Just me, though. We used to just use an ordinary orbital sander, though they do make a version just for stripping cars. Seems to have a little more solid pad underneath the paper is all. Use a cloth-backed wet/dry sandpaper. The hard way, let me assure you! Bear in mind, you're going to have to sand it anyway so what we did basically took a three-step process down to two steps.

Just a thought.

--Wag--

If you do go with a chemical paint stripper, there are several out designed for aircraft use and some of them are not so toxic as to make your grandchildrens children glow in the dark, albeit they are a bit more expensive.

What it comes down to is how much elbow grease you want to put into it. To sand an entire car down to metal, inside and out will SERIOUSLY cut into some quality riding time......We need to keep a perspective here...lol

Let me know if you want to go that route, I can find some brand names of strippers if you like.

John

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE 67?
rock.gif

I recommend professional grade paint remover but it needs to be neutralized after.
Aircraft finish remover works well too but you should shop at eastwood company
http://www.eastwoodco.com/ good stuff!
thumbs-up.gif

Hows about some pics of your progress? - Kent

Here is a link to my camaro thread I started.

Click on the link for pictures and updates

I am still looking for a 67 or 68. But I ran across this and the wife liked it so I bought it. I am going to fix this one up for her. And I will still keep my eye open for the 67 or 68. When and if I find one I will get it also and either fix that one up for her and I will take the 70, or if she really likes the 70 she can keep that and I will take the 67 or 68. It is all about the wife
smile.gif

None of you really know my wife.. but she is a pretty awesome person. She always puts everyone else first in all things and never complains about anything. This is something I really want to do for her. So as far as the Camaro thing goes.. whatever she wants she is going to get
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113351591 -->

Back