Need advice..Got a oil leak

GA_boi

Donating Member
Registered
Ok so I see yesterday that there is oil leaking from whatever the cover is right beside the shifter lever (stator cover?). So I get a socket and rachet tighten up the bolts there on the bottom half of it. Some I got about a 1/4 turn maybe a little more on 1 or 2 of em but i see today that its still leaking a little. Should I tighten em up a little more (I know the heads can be snapped off so, I dont wanna crank on em too much), or is there a gasket there that might be bad that I should replace. Thanks in advance for any info!!!!

I would back them off FIRST and then re-tighten. You may get lucky and may have just forgot to set tension once you did the last install.

If that doesn't fix the problem, install a new gasket and torque to spec, no further. Just don't forget to re-check after a few hours on the road.

Always do spot checks on bolts. It keeps safety in the forefront!

I would back them off FIRST and then re-tighten. You may get lucky and may have just forgot to set tension once you did the last install.

If that doesn't fix the problem, install a new gasket and torque to spec, no further. Just don't forget to re-check after a few hours on the road.

Always do spot checks on bolts. It keeps safety in the forefront!

Yeah I have never taken them off. The dealer did when they redid the tranny but that was a year ago sept. Is this looking more like a gasket or just bolts that have come loose?

You may have made matters worse by just tightening the bottom bolts if I read your post correctly. If you have a torque wrench I would suggest backing them all out a little and then torque all of them in a criss-cross pattern and see what happens. Use a rear stand if you have one. If it's still leaking and you know for sure it's the stator cover then it's time for a gasket.

What year is it, how many miles on it, and has it ever been on it's side ? These covers crack pretty easy and you might not be able to see a hairline fracture.

Ok, I went and loosen the ones you can see with the fairings on, one at a time, then tightened them up individually. I did seem to get a little more out of them when I was tightening them this time than I did before. I put piece of paper there to see if its still leaking. I'll check back in a lil bit.

Got oil on the paper. Guess I'm gonna need a new gasket...Sponsors reading this wanna send me a PM with a price for 1 new gasket, 4 qts oil and a filter??

Do not over tighten those screws, if you do you take the risk of pulling out the threads. If, I were you I would replace the gasket and TQ to spec. This should fix the problem.

P.S don't use silicone it will not work!

+1 on the previous post. If you didn't touch the stator cover for a long time and see a drop of oil on the bottom bolt, it is very likely to come from another place, one such likely place being a clutch rod inside the sprocket cover. I have this problem - about one drop of oil every 5 miles or so. I've read that fixing it is a pain in the neck, so I simply keep an eye on it, and wipe it off after each ride. After about 5k miles, I need to add maybe half a quart.

Those leaks are hard to figure out. You gotta take the left fairing off, put the bike on the rear stand, wipe everything absolutely dry and clean. Start her up, switch gears, rev the engine a bit, and keep checking under with a flash light. Try to catch where that first drop of oil comes from.

Last edited:
+1 on the previous post. If you didn't touch the stator cover for a long time and see a drop of oil on the bottom bolt, it is very likely to come from another place, one such likely place being a clutch rod inside the sprocket cover. I have this problem - about one drop of oil every 5 miles or so. I've read that fixing it is a pain in the neck, so I simply keep an eye on it, and wipe it off after each ride. After about 5k miles, I need to add maybe half a quart.

Those leaks are hard to figure out. You gotta take the left fairing off, put the bike on the rear stand, wipe everything absolutely dry and clean. Start her up, switch gears, rev the engine a bit, and keep checking under with a flash light. Try to catch where that first drop of oil comes from.

I have the same problem. No idea where the leak comes from. I believe its somewhere high up. From somewhere near the cylinders i think.

Been dripping quite a bit. Not much choice, gotta top up the oil evey month

You should never over tighten bolts to try and prevent a leak. Find the source of the leak first. As already mentioned it could be coming from some where other than the stator cover. The gasket for the side covers (ie stator, ignition, clutch, etc) seldom begin to leak on their own.

Take fairing off and clean area well...

Now.... dont laugh ,,, but spray suspect area with baby powder and run bike.

The dry powder will show you very quickly the leak.

good luck,:thumbsup:

Back