Need advice - fed employment and legalities

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
So.. does anyone out there have any experience working for the federal government as a civilian GS and being "tasked" with doing something that is not only far out of scope for your normal job description but also in my opinion is in appropriate AND it seems that someone is looking for a fall guy in case shid hits the fan.

The bottom line is I dont mind performing tasks above and beyond my job description, however an entity is trying to make me sign a government document certifying something that I do not feel comfortable signing and my gut tells me not to.

At what point can I tell said entity to pack sand? I feel the line to be drawn is signing the document, that everything up until that point "might" be fair game, but trying to force me to sign a document that could cost me my job in the future or cause problems with my credibility I have problems with.

Anyone have any personal experience? advice?

I have no idea, but I can tell you this, trust your gut. If you have a bad feeling, its for a reason.

I have no idea, but I can tell you this, trust your gut. If you have a bad feeling, its for a reason.

Yeah, that is exactly what I am feeling, and I usually always trust my gut. just trying to figure out a tactful way of handling this so as not to piss people off and have people want to get rid of me anyway just because I dont want to be the "fall guy"

I agree, gut feeling will take you a long way. If credibility is at stake be especially careful, once lost it is too hard to regain, if not impossible!

So.. does anyone out there have any experience working for the federal government as a civilian GS and being "tasked" with doing something that is not only far out of scope for your normal job description but also in my opinion is in appropriate AND it seems that someone is looking for a fall guy in case shid hits the fan.

The bottom line is I dont mind performing tasks above and beyond my job description, however an entity is trying to make me sign a government document certifying something that I do not feel comfortable signing and my gut tells me not to.

At what point can I tell said entity to pack sand? I feel the line to be drawn is signing the document, that everything up until that point "might" be fair game, but trying to force me to sign a document that could cost me my job in the future or cause problems with my credibility I have problems with.

Anyone have any personal experience? advice?

Well, I've heard it's a felony to misappropriate federal funds by spending them in a way not spec'd out by a federal contract. You write the charge number, you spent it.

and you could always bump it up to your contracting company and let them see if they want to be involved. :laugh:

Kinda depends on where you are in the scale. If you are say a GS14 and some major is telling you to sign, tell him to pound sand. If he's got a star, get with your contact vendor and push back that way. All depends on the situation, if you arent comfy with it, dont do it is the bottom line. :beerchug:

Consult with the IG if you have one and hit up your "ombudsman" or whoever fills that role. If you are already a federal civilian you ought to know how hard it is to lose your job.

If it's your signature on it, they have to make you aware of everything about it. You have the right not to sign until you feel that all the i's are dotted and t's crossed. I don't remember what articles and all that stuff to look at, but I know you can talk to your chain and make them aware that things don't look right.

Bottom line - I'm with all of them ^^

Back