Need a price opinion on a red/black 2005... please!

Trout

Registered
Hi - Long time listener, first time caller.

I've been on the lookout for a nice used Hayabusa for a long time. As you know, many have been ridden hard and put away wet. I haven't looked for a while, so I feel a little out of touch. I'm riding a K1200RS, and would use the Busa for some Sport Touring duty. I found a buyer for my K bike and coincidentally found this Hayabusa at the same time.

It's a red/black 2005 with 3400 miles. It's been ridden casually, had the oil changed a few times, and has a new set of tires. It's bone stock, been stored indoors, and looks new-ish. For me, 3400 miles is two months worth of riding in the summertime, so it's really like getting a new bike.

The price is a little steep (although it's within the KBB and NADA ranges), but I have to weigh price against how hard it is to find a new-ish old Hayabusa.

What should I have to give for this bike? I'll share the asking price with you later... I just want some unbiased opinion on this before I share the asking price. Thanks.

I paid $5500 for a 2005 in the same color as yours a bit over a year ago. 9k miles on the bike. New tires, akrapovic full race exhaust, braided steel lines, and a few other things on it.

I think what will matter most on price is time of year and what region you're in. Going rate on bikes can vary wildly.

Example: I just helped a friend find a dual sport. We found a 2011 Kawasaki KLR 650 dual sport on CL for $5000 which hadn't sold for a month. I got him down to $3500 via email. More than a fair price for it, considering it had 2,500 miles on it. When we visited to see the bike, it turns out he neglected to tell us that it had been dropped. Mostly plastic scrapes, but they replaced the shift lever with some ill fitting non-oem part, same with the shifter. He ended up selling for $2300. That's an 8 month old bike that I rode out on with just a few scrapes on the fairing.

Back to your busa ... I would aim for $5,000. Pay $5,500 if you really like it, but it's not going to be worth much more than that. Most bikes drop in value far more than the busa. Otherwise you'd be paying less than that if it was just about any other 7 year old bike.

Edit: The low miles makes it difficult to quantify the statement. Some people will pay a lot more for low miles. But I personally don't value low miles that much. Soon as you ride it, those low miles are lost, and you paid a premium for nothing. Additionally I'd rather the parts have been moving and working than sitting around deteriorating.

$5-6K , It's still a seven year old bike that hasn't been out much. Not always a good thing. 485 miles / yr. That's not even a decent trip :laugh:

Thanks for the feedback so far. The asking price is $6400, which seems like a few bucks too many.

If anyone comes across a deal somewhere, say, west of Colorado, I'd appreciate a PM or an email. I'm looking for a clean bargain bike to tour on. There isn't much locally, so I'll probably have to drive my pickup somewhere to get one or do a fly-and-buy.

I just delivered my K bike to the new owner. This cash might burn a hole in my pocket. I need a Hayabusa.

Go drop that cash on a new Hayabusa and get 0% for five years on the balance. You can probably walk out with a new 2011 for around $10K.

In the Tulsa area 6400 would probably be a little steep but not much. Had a 05 that was stolen in 2009. Went to replace it and 05's red/black are a pretty favorite color. I really don't buy the rode normal if the tires are new with those miles.

I have a 2005 and it says 4300, but the odometer is stuck and i dont know how fast im going:thumbsup:. I wouldn’t to much trust the millage I only paid a little over 3k for mine. There’s a guy here in Tacoma saleing a 2008 for 5100 on craigslist. " Needs a fairing". If you look around you can beat that price.

paid $3600 for mine with 7200 miles with full yosh exhaust.Wasnt beat but wasnt babied either but ran good.It did need a battery and a starter but after than it was all good.I got lucky the guy was hard up for cash.There are a lot of good deals out there and for busas I dont think they get beat like the gixxersout there.But the longer you wait and closer to summer, the prices go up.

Back