Need a new battery, what's the difference between a 12 vs 14?

J'Man

Registered
I see there are two replacements batteries available at my local batteries plus, but I'm trying to determine the difference. They have a XTA12A-BS with 175 CCA that is only $62.99 and they have a XTAZ14S with 225 CCA for $82.99. What's the difference other than the cold cramping amps? Does it effect the performance of the vehicle or is there any reason why I should pay $20 more for the 14S? I read another thread on the forum talking about these two, but didn't really see where it identified the differences.

Thanks.

Cold Cranking Amps is a good thumb rule to go by. Generally the higher performance better batteries have higher ratings for CCA's. Warranties are usually better because they have more plates allowing better conductivity and can store a higher charge amp/hour rate and produce higher draw output like when you repeatedly have to crank your bike when it isn't starting. If you use some type of floating charger like a Battery Tender the battery could well last 5 years. Over the course of those 5 years that $20 becomes $4 a year for superior cranking power performance. Wouldn't you consider that worthwhile? Now, if you are considering swapping the bike out in a year or two then maybe you'd want the lesser amp battery. I dunno when it comes to two wheels I always take the high road if I can. Wardie

+10000 on the battery tender, ive always used them on all my toys, and my batteries usually last 4-5 years no problem.

As for difference in the 12 vs the 14, its case size.

I didn't know you could use a 14 volt battery on a 12 volt system; clue me in???

I have a friend that has an 02 Busa and he still has the original battery. Keeps a Battery tender on it. I do the same, we'll see if my 08 last as long.:thumbsup:

I have the original battery in my 2000, but it is time for a change. I use a tender, but she just isn't holding a charge like she used to.

Last edited:
I am with Wardie... larger is usually better on the CCA... 14V battery? :laugh:

I left my battery on a tender charger while deployed here in kuwait, took the battery out of the bike though

ive been through the stock yuasa from the 08 already. it was less than 12 months old. i had a rectifier problem though and that killed it. i now have a second battery that is not a yuasa and it is about 4months old. she wouldn't start the other day because of low voltage. it is a cheap battery, and i now have it on a tender. i'm going to check the charging system again to see if it is just the cheap battery or the rectifier is out again. hopefully its the battery as the bike is now out of warranty. i WOULD NOT GO THE CHEAP ROUTE AGAIN, it will cost you more in the long run. my .02

technically a 12 volt battery when fully charged may have as much as 14.4 volts in it anyway...but they dont manufacture a 14 volt battery, that my friend is just a part number

14 in my ride for 3 years. Only slightly larger case size. A little taller. Fits gen. 1 bikes with no issues.

14 in my ride for 3 years. Only slightly larger case size. A little taller. Fits gen. 1 bikes with no issues.
This is the critical issue. You want the battery with the largest capacity (CCA) you can get, and that almost always means the battery with the largest physical dimensions. If the larger one will fit in your battery box without hitting anything - especially anything that will cause it to short out - then that's the one you want.

Some brands are better than others. I personally like Yuasa batteries for motorcycles. And get the sealed battery. That is a must.

the differences between the 12 and 14 are potentially size, terminal design, terminal position, CCA, etc. both should be 12v though.

Yuasa has a great deal of information on their site about batteries...

You can also try to find an Odyssey battery that would work in the Hayabusa...

its the same, just more CCA, get the 14 it fits and works great :beerchug:

Not to dispute that more CCA's are better but here is something to consider. To get more CCA's they have to put in more plates. More plates in a wet battery means less acid. Less acid means that one must be more mindful of maintaining the battery to insure the acid level doesn't get too low. If the acid level isn't maintained it will cause premature failure of the battery.

I will also add that I am not a big fan of sealed batteries or gel cell batteries. Heat build up is what kills a battery and I like to be able to maintain the battery, i.e. adding fluid when needed.

Back