Need a little Wiring help...

(WildMonkey @ Sep. 26 2007,14:42) Just In Case anybody is following this thread, here is an update !  After taking the weekend off, and working on the bike the last 2 nights after my day gig, I have had to order a complete new AudioVox C/C assembly.  I can't say if it was bad when I bought it or not, but as it stands right now, the vacum/servo unit is bad.  I have ran through the wiring on this install about 50 times, and everything checks out right up to where the wiring plugs into the servo, where it appears the proper circuits are not being energized to open all 3 of the plungers which would allow full vacum to be applied to the cable which holds the throttle position at the set speed.  I paid 40 bucks extra for 2nd day delivery, so maybe I will be able to get this project finished over the weekend...
rolleyes_extreme.gif

Steve.
Same here! My first Audiovox worked for a few weeks and all of a sudden stop working. I ordered another one but it to didn't work.  As an alternative I custom made my own barend lock to hold the thottle in position like the throttlemiester barend lock. So far its worked great.

Hey Guys, I have been in the shop ALL day today, and still cannot get this B/S to work. I am a little aggravated right now, and I am just wondering if ANY FREAKING BODY on this forum has really ever gotten this install done & operating ? If so, some wiring/vacum tips would greatly be appreciated !

Steve.

Mine was rock solid for over a year until I put the undertail with the LEDs on. The shop that did it didn't ground the LEDs correctly. I didn't have time this week to mess with it. Good thing my ride today was only 600 miles. If it had been a long ride I'd be hurting without it.

(WildMonkey @ Sep. 29 2007,14:31) Hey Guys, I have been in the shop ALL day today, and still cannot get this B/S to work.  I am a little aggravated right now, and I am just wondering if ANY FREAKING BODY on this forum has really ever gotten this install done & operating ?  If so, some wiring/vacum tips would greatly be appreciated !

Steve.
You probably don't want to hear this but it possible you have a defective unit W/M. I'm assuming that's way Audiovox discontiued making them. My first audiovox I oredered work fine for a couple of weeks and the exchange unit I recieved didn't work at all. After the second failure I just gave up on the damn thing and made my own barend lock to hold the throttle and called it the day.

Where are you pulling the vacuum from? Are you using a vacuum canister? What do you have the dip swithes set at?

Hey Guy's....
To answer the questions, I am pulling the vacum from the source pictured in PipeFighter's thread, and yes, I am also using the vacum resovoir/cannister that he sent me with the kit I purchased from him. This is turning into a HUGE FREAKING nightmare ! I am going to just go ahead and finish the install, regardless of whether it works or not, and get my sprockets, tires, & swingarm installed. I'll just ride it to Daytona without the FREAKING C/C and consider it a lesson learned.
rant.gif

Steve.

I wish I was closer. I've installed a couple of these on different types of bikes around STL, and they are all working and rock solid, but none had LEDs. I've only had LEDs on my bike for a few weeks and I haven't had a chance to sort it out yet.

The only time I had trouble with it was when I had a vacuum line crack and the CC wasn't getting enough vacuum.

Couple things: First, I'm new to the board, so hello to all my fellow Busa Brothers. Two, I don't mean to hijack the thread as it is pertaining to cruise control, but I'm having some issues that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I have an '03 Busa, and I've been trying for two days to hook up a shift light. I was reading on this thread that the yellow w/ blue tracer is the tach signal, BUT I'm not getting anything on the light in regards to reaction at the shift point
pissed.gif
I just got off the phone with Dynojet as I was hoping i could tap into a wire in their harness, but he said I should be using the white w/ blue tracer. If I can't scotch lock into something up front on the bike, I will have to run it back to the coil itself, but which one and what color is the wire? Thanks to anyone who can help me out, and be forewarned: the mps air shifter and nitrous is coming so I'll probably be back for more help
smile.gif

Got the cruise control working with the LEDs.
clap.gif

A little recap: Turns out that the CC grounds through the brake lights. When you apply the brakes, the power sent to the bulbs breaks the ground and turns it off. Well, with the LEDs, it cannot make the ground. Simple solution, or so I thought, is to put a resistor in parallel to the LEDs and trick the CC into thinking the light bulbs were still there.

First hurdle. The shop wired the undertail wrong. They grounded the tail lights and brake lights through the turn signals. So first order of business, rewire the undertail correctly.

With that done, time to figure out what resistor to put in there. Trusty multi meter shows the resistence through the factory unit to be 7.6 ohms and 10 watts. So off to the elecronics store I go. Of course there wasn't a 7.6 ohm resistor, so following normal convention, I got the closest larger size, 10 ohms 20 watt resistor. I made a test rig so I could plug in the resistor. Off I went down the road and...nothing. The cruise control does not work. ggggrrrrr. Turns out the CC is very sensitive to the resistance: 7.6 ohms works, but 10 ohms is too much.

So off I go to the electronics store again. This time I get a 5.1 ohm 10 watt resistor. Got home, unsoldered the 10 ohm resistor, soldered on the 5.1 ohm resistor into the test rig, plugged it into the connector, and took the bike out. Turned on the CC, pressed the set button, and wha-la. Cruise control working perfectly again. However, the resistor is getting getting very very hot, very very quickly. If I have time tomorrow it will be back to the electronics store again to see if I can find a higher wattage resistor in the ohm range I need. The higer wattage will run cooler, but I don't know if that will effect the operations of the cruise control. More to come.

Here's a picture of the working resistor in the test rig.

101_3553.JPG

welcome.gif
You would be better off starting a topic for this, since most of the guys that will know the answer to the shift light question won't be watching a cruise control thread.

PM Professor, he has multiple shift lights on his Busa.

I used an aluminum housed resistor (better heat dissipation)over the all ceramic (50W 7.5ohm)

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Also for those running aftermarket undertails or LED's you will have to pick up a relay and wire it in also. One wire going to the purple wire from the servo, one to a ground, and the other two wires from relay to the switched brake light wire.[/quote] from the original thread

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Also for those running aftermarket undertails or LED's you will have to pick up a relay and wire it in also. One wire going to the purple wire from the servo, one to a ground, and the other two wires from relay to the switched brake light wire.[/quote] from the original thread[/quote]
You do not need to run a relay if you wire the resistor in parallel to the LEDs.

I kind of figured that, I had the resisters installed already so that the blinker rate was correct, figure a 3rd one would not hurt a thing
smile.gif

Thank's for the info. guys. I am in FL right now, but I will be back in Augusta tomorrow, ( Tue.) and will begin to wrestle this giant again ! So I will be looking for a 7.6 ohm, 10 watt resistor when I get there ! Stay Tuned.....

Steve.

Thank's for the info. guys.  I am in FL right now, but I will be back in Augusta tomorrow, ( Tue.) and will begin to wrestle this giant again !  So I will be looking for a 7.6 ohm, 10 watt resistor when I get there !  Stay Tuned.....

Steve.
Look for highter wattage if you can find it. The higher the wattage, the cooler it will run. But not more than 7.6 ohms.

Back