Need a little help setting up the rear end of this thing, possible cha

OB_ZXALAN

Registered
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Guys, need a little help, let me start by saying cause I know you guys are gonna ask, I actually have not torqued the axle bolt to spec due to the lack of the big socket, I tightened it and watched the swing arm squeeze together and continued to tighten til the point were I felt significant restriction on the wheel when spinning it. I know, I know, its not right, I'll get the socket this weekend.
I just bought a swing arm stand, put the bike on it and spun the rear tire checking things. This wheel spins very freely and doesnt wobble, the chain tracks straight in its travel BUT when running the bike in gear on the stand, the chain would jump(by the guide, not on the sprocket) on the top run on certain cycles and I could hear a light popping noise or slight binding sound. I tried to adjust the adjusters to try to straighten it out but it was straight. Plenty of slack too. Does that mean the chain has kinks that I just can't see or is it just wore out or is that normal for the chain to jump with no weight on the bike??Cant actually see it jump, more like a little bounce about halfway between the sprockets on the top run.

Bike has 4200 miles, chain cleaned every 600-800 miles and used Bel Ray lube. Chain looks great as does the sprockets. Could it be a kink in the chain I can't see?
Replace it? Whats a very strong aftermarket chain?

Could this chain be my mysterious 45-55mph wobble in the bars that the dealer said was fine and the bike is ok??

I am off to the strip, hope she don't blow up!!

Later guys, Thanks for the help!!

ZX, if it was idling that's normal. Tighten up your chain fairly tight[tighter than you would ride with it] then turn your wheel a little at a time and check the slack every few links. Look for tight spots. If you find real loose then real tight spots it's probably ruined.

Hey, are you going to Coney Island sat?

Riding or driving?

Have you had your bike on a dyno? (I have questions about the dyno thing...how much, how accurate, and what it's really worth)

I'm going riding this evening with another busa...probably around 7:30, can you make it?

how much free play do you use when you are sitting on the bike and is there any tight spots?i tossed my oem chains on both busas before 2000 miles becase they kept stretching

Whats up with these chains on the busa's? I rode my ZX11 like an animal until about 25K or so before i change the chain & sprockets, so what gives with all the talk about chains on the Hayabusa? I see alot of people talking about this , are these stock chains really that bad!Or are most you with chain problems at the Drag strip every weekend?

I can't make it tonight but I will be at the Coney Sat night.

I had a bad night at the track last night, I got to tune a few things today. Will be ready by the weekend.

Later

PS. Pappabusa, you coming out sat night?

Back