Need a Little Help Guys & Gals!!

jeffgordons24

Registered
So spent some time on the bike today getting things ready and cleaning, prepping to mount my swing arm.
All was going great and I figured it would be on the bike by the end of the day.
Sooo...
Pressed in the new bearings, now I didn’t take the bearings out of the arm I had one of my guys tackle that before we powder coated it.

I seated the bushings and was mounting the chain guide when a bushing fell into the arm. Thought to myself okay no bigggie when I put the other side on and the axle I will slide it back into place.

Put the other side on and axle and the other side goes to fall in too, thinking WTFF? I go look at my stock arm and realize that there is a center race in there.

Now I am Fu*ked, I can’t get the old bearings out of the old arm, and I have to manage to get the new bearing out of my new arm without mangling it or the arm so I can reuse it

Suggestions?? Anyone know where I can buy just one bearing (I don’t want to spend another $40 on a bearing kit) and get the inner race if need be??

B354F113-738F-470F-BCF0-EBA38C252478.jpeg

4534899A-9DDE-4443-B6F6-2CE10272B8BF.jpeg

AF452F3C-F06F-43ED-9529-36C667F54610.jpeg

4D5D981D-BE1D-4E3D-BA19-DA025A6CBE81.jpeg

Swing arm removal tool by motion pro. Motorsport has them. Would pull old arms bearings 1st.

I use a harbor freight blind bearing puller. It’s a slide hammer. New bearings go in with all thread and proper size socket. Not sure I’d pull a bearing and then reuse it, though. I’d be worried about reusing something I couldn’t see and monitor.

If, If, you get one of those new needle bearings out without damaging it(those cages distort so easily), I will be amazed.
Especially since you can't get a washer(or anything flat and flush)against the bottom of it.
I've put alot of those in.
Do you know how bad off you have to be to forget the spacer that goes between them!?
Very. I know, I've done it too, lmao!
I would've already ordered another bearing kit, and knocked one of those out...and put the spacer in.
Or I might put the new bearing in again without the spacer, lol.

It's a cheap needle bearing, save the time and headache. I highly doubt that even with the right puller and patience you wouldn't bend the bearing retainer. Try texasbearing.com, I've used them for 15 yrs and never had one problem!

It was a easy fix. The Adam's arm had no distance tube. Steven got one bearing out with no damage.
Yes with some help from @c10 I was able to remove the bearing to put the distance tube in. The real trick was heating it as he recommended. I tried without heating and nothing. Applied heat and MAGIC!
I have to put the dog bone shims in the inside and adjust height and torque but it’s mocked up in place.

B0AA00AB-E8CE-4CFF-82DD-CD561E503E96.jpeg

067DAF5A-AD2D-4742-B42C-2EBD20CE4DD6.jpeg

54594FC4-7EFA-40C1-9341-DBEA938643CF.jpeg

I know they will tap out with some heat, but getting them out undamaged is nearly impossible.
I see knicks and punch marks, and hope that they did not tweak the cage.
I would be concerned because I have seen a seized bearing eat the inner swingarm to the point that a new bearing would just drop into the galled hole in the arm.
If all went well, congrats, and count yourself fortunate.

Take that puppy to a machine shop and have them turn down a piece of cold roll steel for dirt cheap for next time lol, cant have to many drivers!

Always better to use brass, aluminum, or something soft on a bearing, at least one that you are trying not to damage.
Those needle bearings are hardened, but the cage is monkey metal.

I know they will tap out with some heat, but getting them out undamaged is nearly impossible.
I see knicks and punch marks, and hope that they did not tweak the cage.
I would be concerned because I have seen a seized bearing eat the inner swingarm to the point that a new bearing would just drop into the galled hole in the arm.
If all went well, congrats, and count yourself fortunate.
Yea I mean I will bear mind to the fact that I should replace it. I will prob ride the bike this season and in the winter ill pull the arm and replace the bearings just to be safe.

Back