Need A little Advice

VIPER

Formerly known as viperblackbusa.
Registered
To make a long story short, I am back in the Busa saddle!! Catch is i have to drive 4 hours to go get it. I am going to trailer it back as i dont have another driver. My question to all my brothers here is how do i safely tie this thing down for the trip? I went and bought a wheel chock for the front. I am going to bolt it down to my trailer this evening. I a just a little uncertain how to strap it down from there. I appologize for the lack of pictures but the gentleman deleted the ad for me as soon as i told him i wanted it:)!!! I am going early in the morning to pick it up and promise good pics then. In the mean timeadvice would be greatly appreciated pics even better.

I bought a 2008 with 994 miles on it!!!! It has been painted the wht color of its later yeared sister. No stickers. bike also has yoshi exhaust. No commander i dont think but i know a fellow orgster here who would be happy to do the ecu programming for me?!?!

Ok, if you got the chock from harbor freight that has the wheel lock deal, remove the wheel lock portion. (I think it snaps up behind the front wheel after you roll it into the chock) Trust me on this one. That harbor freight chock will snap up your wheel and it will be HELL getting it out again. Besides not necessary.

Now as far as tie downs, I use rachet straps that are rated for up to 1000lbs. Also, I would recommend a canyon dancer tie down harness. Most dealerships, motorcyle stores, cycle gears have them in stock. They make securing the front a breeze. Before I had the canyon dancers, I would secure the rachet straps around the handle bars just before the brake MC and the turn signal switch. Didn't like riding like that so I went and got the canyon dancer.

After strapping the front down, I would strap the back down from the rear foot pegs. Secure two straps from the front and then two straps from the rear. Strap them down from the front and then from the rear I would strap them down and forward. In a sense, I would use the same anchor points on my truck for the front and rear rachet straps.

I did also use a fifth strap for the rear wheel. I made a loop through the wheel and then looped it around the tire and strapped that one to the rear anchor points in my truck. Not necessary but I did it anyhow.

Trust me, when you use this method, that bike isn't going no where. :thumbsup:

I would stop and recheck my straps a couple of times during my trip and they were secure each time.

I would only use a canyon dancer if they are the new type with the cups on the ends. The old style always break the little locator pin in the switch housings. I always use soft ties around the fork tubes and ratchet straps. I've been hauling $25,000 plus show bikes around the country for the last 6 years and haven't lost one yet.

get some soft ties. go up by the front fender under the nose and go up and around the metal ( don't pinch lines or wires) and use a ratchet tie down. always tie the back down too pulling back on the bike. you could run in to trouble with fronts alone. (I always put the kick stand down just in case something fails)

oe409894.jpg

332783_400x400.jpg

tiedown.jpg

When I hauled mine home in the bed of my truck, I used soft-ties looped around the grips. I know it's not recommended, but it worked fine for me. I couldn't find a way to route the strap to the triple tree without rubbing paint or touching plastic.

In retrospect, I think if you unclip the black cover under the nose, then the triple clamp is more accessible. Of course, mine was a Gen 1, so yours may be a little different as far as reaching the clamps without rubbing paint off all the way home.

To make a long story short, I am back in the Busa saddle!! Catch is i have to drive 4 hours to go get it. I am going to trailer it back as i dont have another driver. My question to all my brothers here is how do i safely tie this thing down for the trip? I went and bought a wheel chock for the front. I am going to bolt it down to my trailer this evening. I a just a little uncertain how to strap it down from there. I appologize for the lack of pictures but the gentleman deleted the ad for me as soon as i told him i wanted it:)!!! I am going early in the morning to pick it up and promise good pics then. In the mean timeadvice would be greatly appreciated pics even better.

I bought a 2008 with 994 miles on it!!!! It has been painted the wht color of its later yeared sister. No stickers. bike also has yoshi exhaust. No commander i dont think but i know a fellow orgster here who would be happy to do the ecu programming for me?!?!

I'll flash the restrictions off for you in Ecu Editor, but I don't touch the a/f.
A good dyno tune gives you optimum performance, but that bike will run fine on the stock a/f tune...as it's doing that now.

Canyon dancer:thumbsup:

Straps from the pillion peg mounts to the sides of the trailer. (hammer on the brakes or hit speed bumps etc...stops the a55 of the bike from jumping up)

NO COVER on it. They just blow around and scuff up yer paint.

Pointed straight in a wheel choc is good,but doesn't lock the steering. Lock it up with chains or something if you stop for the night.(bikes get stolen off trailers)

If it was mine, I would stop and buy insurance for it. If it falls over,gets stolen,catches on fire.... who gives a fug. INSURED.:thumbsup:

Get help to load/un-load.... wheel chocks (especially low budget ones) can be dicey.

Congratulations, GEN 2's ROCK. :bowdown:

RSD.

As most have said, a canyon dancer is a must, soft ties, and insurance. It may be covered under your truck policy??? Not sure about that....

p.s., I hauled two bikes ~2,500 miles with no problems using canyon dancers and soft ties w/ ratchet straps. The Busa in the truck bed with a chock and the Nomad on my trailer.

I guess I am the only one here that HATES the Canyon Dancer?? I have a Baxley sport Chock (BEST money spent!) and use soft ties around the grips. With the Baxley, you don't need to cinch it down hard, which is better for the fork seals. Then I tie it down in the rear somewhere, depending on the exhaust, etc....

The Canyon Dancer always messed up my grips!

I use the same chock. It will lock the front tire in if set on the 3rd hole from the front. I only strap from the passenger pegs pulling the bike forward into the chock. I do not strap the front of the bike at all. To get the bike out, rock it back and forth a few times to break the front tire loose from the chock then back it out. I've hauled the bikes 1000s of miles without any problems.

If I don't have the locking chock, I strap from the lower triple on the front, not from the clip-ons.

100_5232 (Medium).JPG

Ty all for the advice!!! I got it home safe and sound. The wheel chock held wonderfully and i didnt have troubles getting it out. I tied the frt with ratchet clamps as was suggested and the rear off the rearsets. Bike didnt budge. Pics in the am damn ipad won't do it.

Back