Need a DVD/CD jukebox

The Oracle

Registered
Anyone of y’all seen DVD/CD jukeboxes that piggyback??

I have 500+CD’s and 1,000+ DVD movies… Plus, my collection grows about 15-20 discs per month. I am looking for a solution to stick ‘em all in and have them categorized (and allow me to throw away the boxes!) With piggybacking, I would like a solution that could hold 2000+ discs for scalability over the next couple of years. In other words, the Sony listed below (which holds 400 discs) would need to be able to piggyback 5 total players!

The only ones I have found are:
1. Sony’s 400 Disc / DVP-CX777ES (not sure if it piggybacks, but has RS-232)
(Probably to expensive @ $800.00 for piggybacking and scalability)
2. Sony’s 400 Disc / DVP-CX985V (not sure if it piggybacks)

I am looking for:
1. Scalability (i.e. piggyback)
2. Good on screen menu (The Sony’s have an awesome folder system)
3. Good categorization (i.e. can I segregate Action, Comedy, etc.)

I have also looked at several PC jukebox manufacturers and they don’t seem to fit my needs.

Have any of you seen any other ones? Or, know anything about this COo.oOL technology???

Help,
Vaughn

Unfortunately I don't have any of those big Sony DVD jukebox players (yet), but I am the happy owner of two Sony jukebox CD players...I bought one of the first ever made back in 1993 for $1000+ that holds 100 cds, and later bought a 400 disc cd player...both are still in great working order, never had any problems with them, and I'd buy Sony again if given the chance...only problem we've ever had with those big cd players is 1) finding space for them, and 2) hooking them up to the Sony stereo...we recently replaced our Sony system with a new Sony receiver and hubby set everything up without any problems...

Categorizing on the Sony CD player was easy, but time consuming...I'm guessing it'll be the same with CD/DVD players, but once it's set up, it doesn't have to be done again...it keeps the settings forever...

If you get the CD/DVD combo, be sure to let us all know how it is...we've been talking about it...

Just wanted to let you know that the Sony jukeboxes I have are still working well, so the technology is good...
smile.gif

Unfortunately I don't have any of those big Sony DVD jukebox players (yet), but I am the happy owner of two Sony jukebox CD players...I bought one of the first ever made back in 1993 for $1000+ that holds 100 cds, and later bought a 400 disc cd player...both are still in great working order, never had any problems with them, and I'd buy Sony again if given the chance...only problem we've ever had with those big cd players is 1) finding space for them, and 2) hooking them up to the Sony stereo...we recently replaced our Sony system with a new Sony receiver and hubby set everything up without any problems...

Categorizing on the Sony CD player was easy, but time consuming...I'm guessing it'll be the same with CD/DVD players, but once it's set up, it doesn't have to be done again...it keeps the settings forever...

If you get the CD/DVD combo, be sure to let us all know how it is...we've been talking about it...

Just wanted to let you know that the Sony jukeboxes I have are still working well, so the technology is good...
smile.gif
Space won't be an issue, since I am mounting the piggybacks in the basement below my home theater. I will use LONG cables for the A/V connections and RF for my remote control stuff.

I too love my Sony components!

I know last year that Best Buy had Pioneer and JVC units that held 400-500 disks and were selling for $199. You could interconnect at least 3 units I believe. I started to buy a couple but changed my mind. One brand only used CD's and the other was for CD/DVD's. Don't know the model numbers, but I would check there.

dont worry too much about it Vman....me and a bud did a little test . We were on the phone to each other . We both said lets listen to AC/DC Back in Black. We both have the album . So we said 1-2-3 GO . We put down the phones an loaded the tunes as fast as we could . I dropped him . Dropped him bigtime . He had to flash up his 500 disc'r , find his book , thumb thru the cd covers ,get the right page, go thru 27 buttons ,and finally......HELLS BELLS....
Me , I walked to the shelf , grabbed the disc, thru it in my measily little Sony 5 disc changer , and had the neirbours packin' in a matter of seconds .
I rarely listen too music for more than an' hour or 2.
If you have a big changer you hit play, you get the same songs day after day . Or hit program , spend an' hour , an' get the same songs day after day . Or, hit shuffle , the only prob then is , all you wanted was some background music for dinner....and the band "The Odds" are blasting out "I'm a Heterosexual Man" which, by the way, is a great tune.
Space wise sure....stack em up in the bsmt .

my guess V....you'll get bored of it . Yer not a lazy bastid.
Who cares if you have to get up every fifth disc....

hope you get what you want thou man....RSD.

dont worry too much about it Vman....me and a bud did a little test . We were on the phone to each other . We both said lets listen to AC/DC Back in Black. We both have the album . So we said 1-2-3 GO .   We put down the phones an loaded the tunes as fast as we could .  I dropped him . Dropped him bigtime .  He had to flash up his 500 disc'r , find his book , thumb thru the cd covers ,get the right page, go thru 27 buttons ,and finally......HELLS BELLS....
  Me , I walked to the shelf , grabbed the disc, thru it in my measily little Sony 5 disc changer , and had the neirbours packin' in a matter of seconds .
  I rarely listen too music for more than an' hour or 2.
 If you have a big changer you hit play, you get the same songs day after day .  Or hit program , spend an' hour , an' get the same songs day after day .  Or, hit shuffle , the only prob then is , all you wanted was some background music for dinner....and the band "The Odds" are blasting out "I'm a Heterosexual Man"  which, by the way, is a great tune.
 Space wise sure....stack em up in the bsmt .

my guess V....you'll get bored of it .  Yer not a lazy bastid.
Who cares if you have to get up every fifth disc....

hope you get what you want thou man....RSD.
Sorry Rip, I am with RSD here. I take all of my CD's and put them into case logic cases, OR I take the 120 Gigs worth of MP3's I have on the USB harddrive, plug it into my Laptop and the laptop into my ES reciever, pull up Win-AMP select random and play and I have all the noise I ever need. Plus I get cool visualizations....

But, The 5 Disc Sony DVD/CD player I have is plenty, quick and easy.

I think maybe you need to evaluate the true "Need" VS the "Want"....
smile.gif

Back