National Safety Council recommends cell phone ban while driving

because we are just not smart enough to figure this out on our own, are we.

"[waaah! waaaaah!] I HAVE TO BE available 24/7 everywhere incase one of my idiot children that I didn't raise well enough to be self sufficient has to call and ask me some stupid but life critical question about where the peanut butter is thus selfishly making me feel I have more purpose in life since society separated us to quickly during child raising years!"

I love the profiteers ads: BLACKBERRY CONNECTING TO FASTER TO EVERYTHING YOU LOVE.... (except reality)

This reminds me of what I saw in New Orleans this weekend. The Doc and I went down to the french quarter (during daylight hours) to do some exploring (on foot).

While driving to our favorite parking lot by Jax Brewery, we encountered a bunch of BICYCLE traffic. Well this one lady kept swerving into our lane (which if you have ever been in the area, you know the streets are ALMOST too narrow for a 2500 Chevrolet to get down ALONE). We couldn't figure out what her malfunction was until we passed her and she was TALKING on her CELL PHONE with it wedged between her ear and her left shoulder. At least get a earpiece LADY! :banghead:

I don’t think I would support it.

I agree that having to hold a cell phone to your head with one hand can distract you from driving.

I also agree texting while driving is one of the most stupid things someone can do, I consider that on par with trying to put your makeup on while driving or trying to read a news paper while driving. go multi task on your own time.

But I consider talking on the phone using a hands free device no greater of a threat that talking to someone who is in the car with you. You have a very small window when there is an increase in risk and that is when a person attempts to make a call or receive a call (unless this risk is mitigated using voice dial or auto answer capabilities).

I believe there is no greater risk using a hands free device than there is talking to passengers in your vehicle. However I do feel there is an increasing risk of losing all of our "so called" freedoms in this country by allowing our individual freedoms to be continuously eroded.

There has to be a balance point on how much freedom a government is allowed to take away from individuals. Our country is getting very close to walking an extremely fine line from turning our society from a society of free people to a society of government controlled people where we cannot think for ourselves, protect ourselves.

If they pass a ban on using hands free devices the next thing you know there will ban even talking in cars to passengers.

I am afraid this country is heading towards a dictatorship and the next administration is showing signs of embracing communism philosophies.

My cousin and her husband just came back from Vietnam, they just wanted to “experience” the culture.

The communist philosophy there is to a degree I really never fathomed. People do not even really “own” a pair of shoes.

They wanted to live like normal Vietnamese people so they did not stay in fancy “American” hotels, they got hooked up with some kind of tour where they traveled on broken down motorcycles and stayed with every day Vietnamese people.

When she went to bed she had left her shoes outside as is custom, in the morning she went outside and looked for her shoes and they were gone.

It was then explained to her no one person really owns shoes, someone saw the shoes she was wearing and needed them and took them.

My cousin explained to me that is how it is over their with all items, if someone needs something they just use it, doesn’t matter where it is. Nothing belongs to one person.

I know this country isn’t even close to that. But we must ensure this country never starts down that road. And with the concept that the next administration is proposing, taking from the rich and giving to the poor, distribution of wealth and such. That is one step in that direction.

And continuously passing laws that restrict our freedoms more and more are guiding us down the same path of a totally government controlled society.

The studies I have seen is that chatting on the phone (hands free or not) is just about equivalent to DUI... Texting? yea you need laws for morons.....

I was a driver trainer for 5 years (million miles without a chargeable too) but most drivers will tell you the number of people that COULD die from chatting on the phone while driving is grossly under reported.. every day you dodge an idiot (or 10) on the phone..

it's the same as cycle racing: "you start with 100% attention span available, but every time you remove a little of it, you reduce from 100% focus on the important thing you should be doing: navigating your vehicle correctly and safely"

Start paying attention to how many police officers you also see on their cell phones as they drive. I dont feel they would pull you over for just for it..now maybe if they pulled you over for speeding and you were also on the phone?..or maybe be just an add on for other offenses....higher taxation.???

No matter what they decide...there will always be distractions of one form or another.

I drive an 18 wheeler for a living. I trhu NYC,Ct and Ma everynight, all night long I see(mostly females) talking on cell phones without headsets. They are the ones driving too slow in the middle lane of a 65mph raodway and when aI come up behind them flash my lights to please move over the get p@#$ off at me and wont move . Then when they are finally done talking and put the phone down (as I move to the right lane to pass) they speed up:cussing: I talk on my cell while driving ,but I do use a bluetooth all the time,and yes I religiuosly use the bluetooth all the time. I have a spare one just incase the battery runs out. Talking on my cell to my buddies is one way I stay awake all night long,it gets boring at night especially since I drive almost 600 miles everynight. When they first came out with the " handsfree only " law I was in favor of it, but I would not support the TOTAL ban on cell usage when driving. This si the kinda crap us LAW ABIDING citzens have to put up with when there are those that think they dont have too follow the rules and goverment takes over and we cant do it at all anymore. This is just another example of ignorant people disobeying the law and us LAW abiding citizens having to pay the price for the ignorant few . :mad2::cussing:
One time I saw a female down in Virginia on I 95 doing 70+ mph as she passes me I see her holding the cell in her left hand, and at the same time with her left hand reach into the back seat and hand her baby a bottle as she holds the steering wheel with her left elbow.

cb radios? I don't support it but do support mandatory hands free use. now if they could just enforce it
Posted via Mobile Device

how did truckers survive long hauls in the pre-cell phone era?
by playing truck stop rambo on the radio... :rofl: or they just fell asleep.. the new HOS rules help a bit but sure hurt the income if your pickup/delivery people are screwed up... nothing like sitting at a steel mill for 4 hours to load, then spending the next 10 hours running 600M or so trying to make your delivery time (all while staying legal) grrrrrrrrrrr..

Why not just hold individuals accountable? If your need to talk on a phone (hands-free or not) contributes to the cause of an accident you get charged appropriately. If injuries or a death occurs, then you get charged accordingly.

I don't like to see freedoms being taken away because we, collectively, are afraid to hold individuals accountable. Make the punishment fit the crime and instances of the crime will decrease. Just my thoughts.

bs bs bs...

just another right they are taking away

CAn't do this, can't do that ....so befor e long we won't even be able to do anything ourselves the way they keep passing laws.

I mean really shouldnt it be our choice in the matter.... just like a seat belt.. If i want to wear one i will if i dont i won't

I mean really shouldnt it be our choice in the matter.... just like a seat belt.. If i want to wear one i will if i dont i won't

Yes but YOU not choosing to wear a seatbelt isn't going to KILL someone else.

Back