Name a smell describe the memory or thought.

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
So I was thinking what smell creates what memories or thoughts in you? Yes I'm serious and please keep it clean. The sense of smell is one of the most powerful in the human body and it can be tied to more distant memories or stronger emotions than most others.

So I'll go first and my first example is the reason for this thread. Hanging out my cousins today he pulled something out of the safe I'd sold him years ago. All but forgot about it. It's an original 1953 unrefinished Russian sks. Back up about 15 yrs ago and S.O.G (southern Ohio gun) just advertised these in shotgun news for like $150 I think? So I figured I'd take a shot and get one. By the time my boss got around to calling in the order I'd bumped myself to three. Week or so goes by and a box came in to store and I knew it was my guns. Opened it up to see three of the most beautifully made guns I'd ever seen. Cousin begged me to sell him one so I did. Fast forward to today and he and I were looking at it. I told him to look in trapdoor in buttstock for cleaning tips. He didn't know it was there. Now I had never cleaned the guns when they came nor have we shot any of them. So when I flipped out the little metal tube containing the cleaning brush and jag we opened it and in it still was some grease/oil from original factory and time of build. To smell that and close my eyes I envisioned a wharehouse similar to one in end of Raiders of the Lost Ark seemingly infinite piled high with crates of these guns. From another time that little bit of lube is.
Kinda weird but gunnuts will understand.

Another one is Liz Taylor's White Diamond perfume. Anytime I smell that I go back to when my wife and I first met and how it lingered everywhere and made me crazy.

Confusing thing is I just don't know or maybe I'm scared to admit which smell stirs me more, ancient gun oil or my wife's perfume? :laugh:

So how about y'all? Name a smell and the memory/thought.
Certain smell of a type of food make you remember a particular date, smell in burnout box at the track take you to a certain event, forest you hiked in or smell of a certain tree takes you back to what?

Burnt jet fuel...brings back memories of walking the flight line every morning for our daily FOD walk. (Yes, I know it should technically be called a FO walk)

burning wood. reminds me of trips over xmas vacation to the cabins we used to rent and of my father and how life can be peaceful and worth living

Roasting tomatoes take me back to when I would come home from school during the time of life when mom was still at home being a homemaker and making fresh salsa and mole for dinner by taking tomatoes and placing them on the stovetop grates over the gas burners to char them and peel them for the blender.

Another one is cool moist night air tinged with woodsmoke during the first chilly evenings in late fall. In California, this is when the leaves are falling and there are usually pumpkin patches at every store preparing for Halloween Jack O'lanterns.

Fresh cut grass and carne asada reminds me of being a kid and having to go out everyday during summer to sell fruitbars from a push cart. The reluctance then is regretted because being outdoors nearly daily out on the street and making a few bucks while talking to people and learning about hobbies was an awesome experience. I remember the day coming to a close in the late afternoon and watching families out in the park start to pack it in. At the same time, others would come to the park and catch the evening breeze so they could fly their kites that would soar high above. I would lay down on the grass and just look up as the experts would make their kites dance a choreographed routine doing flybys past one another...

Cam 2 gasoline, and corn dogs. I love the smell of them. It always took me back to my drag racing and street car days. Some of the best time I ever had

exhaust fumes from my a two stroke CR250 that I use to rev up in the dead of winter and piss my mother off:whistle:

what a great smell. the smell of pure dower on demand. dam I miss that thing. it hauled ass! anytime I smell exhaust fumes I think of that bike and how simple and awesome life was then vs. now....:banghead:

Another one is freshly sharpened pencils, construction paper and a chalkboard. The smell of a new school year before your nose gets a chance to adapt to all the smells.

How bout the way old VW bugs, square backs, fastbacks and kharmann ghias smelled. Toxic plasticty smell, but kinda interesting like smelling gasoline or kerosine. Probably the most common first car for teenagers of my age group. Most of the ones I recall had a stale beer smell intertiwned with that VW smell.

As a teenager that smell meant freedom - my own car, keg parties and Dead shows. Developed most of my mechanical chops working on VWs and a fiat I had back then.

Anyone remember 2 speed automatics or three on the tree?

the smell of Budweiser reminds me of sitting on the front porch of my favorite great-uncle's house with my cousins, frying catfish takes me back to running trotlines with my grandfather, Exclamation perfume brings back many memories of different girls (most particularly my first ex-wife) from the 80's when i was a teenager, fresh cut hay brings back hours riding an old Massey Ferguson tractor, Pledge and Old English furniture polish carries me back to the churches my dad pastored through the years

One whiff of José Cuervo Tequila takes me back to the going away party my buddy hosted for me prior to my departure for the USAF. Man... It even induces the gag reflex and makes my abs sore from all the dry heaving that took place that night. My abs were sore clear through the fourth week of basic training. LOL! My buddy told me that I was howling at the moon and starting fights with anyone that would make eye contact with me. I vaguely remember all of this, some of the so called fights starting was me simply looking at dudes and saying what's up holmes? I guess people found it threatening. Must have been my posture and facial expression.

the sea salt smell of the ocean back in Virginia Beach where i learned to swim with my father

Back