Nail in tire

DO NOT PLUG THE TIRE, PATCH IT AND IT WILL BE FINE. ALSO I'LL TAKE YOUR OLD TIRES WITH THE HOLES, I'LL PAY SHIPPING
biggrin.gif
Ill hit you up if I get rid of it.
TIRES MEANING ALL FIVE
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Yeah, i'd be very curious to see how it holds up for you. I've been (knock on wood) fortunate up to this point in that it's been at least ten years since I've picked up a nail. I'm curious as to whether any of the five incidents left you stranded or do these tires nowadays hold hold a seal long enough to allow a guy to limp home or to a dealer for repairs?
Good luck!

<!--EDIT|CCbusa05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134685091 -->

Yeah, i'd be very curious to see how it holds up for you. I've been (knock on wood) fortunate up to this point in that it's been at least ten years since I've picked up a nail. I'm curious as to whether any of the five incidents left you stranded or do these tires nowadays hold hold a seal long enough to allow a guy to limp home or to a dealer for repairs?
Good luck!
The tires have NO support when they go down, they go right to the rim. The first one went while I was doing 90 mph down the 15. The first sign of trouble was when the bike wouldnt respone to any streeing in puts, I tried to turn but it kept going straight. Then I got hit by the biggest speed wobbels of my life. I was going down hill so I didnt want to pull in the clucth so I just hit the kill switch to allow the engine braking to slow me enough to safely use the breaks. I sat on the side of the freeway for 20 min. noone stopped to help out, I always to if a bike is sitting on the side of the road and offer any help I can. After 20 min I hopped on the bike and road it with a full on flat down to Pep boys and bought a plug kit. Put the plug kit in at the Texaco and limped the other 20 miles home. Next day pulled the wheel and went to Chaparral and had it replaced, the inside of the tire was shot from riding on it flat for a mile.

I've been reluctant to mention this, I didn't want to hear all the negatives about about plugs/patches. I picked up a screw in my rear tire with 600 miles on it...........i Plugged it the beginning of the summer and rode all season with no problems.......no leaks or balance issues at all. i was kinda easy on it at first (stayed below 120mph) now i don't even think about it.......It worked fine, Hope yours does as well. Dan

so gunny how did all that turn out
all_coholic.gif
It's been almost a year do you still have the tire with the plug
SHOCKED.gif

I have plugged many a rear tire and they still have air in them today.

Go for it Gunny check the air and dont do any canyon carving until you have riden on it for a few days.

(Devious @ Dec. 14 2005,14:50) Not much you can do about what you cannot see. Just hope for the best. Or drive the car for a while...

David
then he may have to replace four tires.

(Gunnybusa @ Dec. 14 2005,02:54) I’m going to do it, I’m going to be a hypocrite and plug my rear BT14. This is the 5th nail this year that I have gotten in a rear tire, I replaced all the others. I know plugging a tire is not the best thing to do but I refuse to go out and buy another tire. So I will be the experiment for every one that has ever debated plugging a tire. I will be using a regular tire plug that you can pick up at any car parts store. I will also be putting a hundred miles a day and will be checking the air pressure twice a day. If the plug leaks at all then I will replace the tire
Gunny, I did the same on my OE rear and rode it for 3000 miles before changing it prior to my NW tour. Held air pressure just fine and worked very well. I had a very small nail and plugged it with a kit from a m/c shop using CO2 cartridges to refill. Good luck with yours.

+1
I have plugged a number tires. A couple on my zx9 and once on the busa. Nails always seem to happen on new tires. So I have put 1000s of miles on plugs.

The closer the plug is to the center of the tire, the better chance it has. I've never plugged a tire when the hole was past halfway between the center & the edge.

I plugged my rear tire, put about 1200 miles on it without and problems, just didn't do excessive high speed runs.  No problem with the tire losing air during that time.

A flat day
DSC08447.jpg

I now carry a plug kit after the day from the above picture.  That was about 20 miles outside of town that did have much traffic on it.

I patched my tire a while back and it was fine (2000 miles minimum). The hole was in one of the treads though. Now I have a plug and it has a slow leak (I only plugged it to get it home). The hole this time is on the surface of the tire though.

and the repaired tire should never be used over 75 mph
rant.gif

omg I would so pitch that tire lol sry bout the luck man

Sounds like you need to buy your tires from cycle gear and pay the 15 % surcharge for road hazard protection.

Sounds like you need to buy your tires from cycle gear and pay the 15 % surcharge for road hazard protection.

I bought road hazard from the local dealer in july and have had to replace 3 rear tires at no charge to me.
The company is called R.O.A.D. INTIRE
They cover tires and wheels 100% parts and labor
cost is $535 for 5 years of coverage

(warwgn @ Dec. 07 2006,13:41) so gunny how did all that turn out
all_coholic.gif
SHOCKED.gif
This is why I'd like to see the date that the thread originated, as well as the date of the last response. (Although I admit that it really didn't matter, since I still enjoyed the read.)

(05 Busa LE @ Dec. 08 2006,09:13)
all_coholic.gif
SHOCKED.gif
This is why I'd like to see the date that the thread originated, as well as the date of the last response. (Although I admit that it really didn't matter, since I still enjoyed the read.)
the date is at the top of each post?

I did day it has been a year in my post
poke.gif

(05 Busa LE @ Dec. 08 2006,11:13)
all_coholic.gif
SHOCKED.gif
Tee-hee
blush.gif

I didn't bother to check that. I always click NEW POSTS and assume the thread itself is relatively new.

Back