n00b breakin question

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Picked up the a Silver one yesterday. Read the article from that motorhead guy about first 20 miles of breakin and went with my other friends advice to just follow the manual: don't go at constant RMP, stay below 5500 for 500, tune at 600 etc etc

but my Question is WHAT EXACTLY do I do on the throttle?? Obviously, I'll keep it to or below 5500 RPM, and go thru all the gears getting them broke in too, but I'm rolling on alot and then letting completely off it and varying - zooming up, dropping back, zooming up, droping back,annoying my fellow rider - other than that how do I avoid constant RPM's? I can't rollon for more than 2 seconds before breaking the speed limit for the state in ANY gear. I also seem to spend to much time in the 1.5 - 3000 range not enough in 4-5500 range cause I end up speeding again.

This is my first NEW bike and I am clueless about breakin.
All advice appricaited.

After I become a seasoned veteran, I'll give back to this wonderful community forum.

Also, I found that FALSE NEUTRAL tween 5 and 6 people talk about - about 5 times last night.
smile.gif
Oh well, I just compensate around that glitch - or maybe it's my shifting.

Love the bike, love the forum, love life!

Try switching gears up and down instead of varying throttle. This will change the RPMs and you won't change speeds.

My neutral between 5th and 6th did go away after the 600 mile service.

Welcome to the board.

Congratulations on the new bike. I agree with VRIPLEY. Change gears to adjust the rpm.

The false neutral is probably your shifting, make sure you get the "full pull" on the shift lever.

Thanks guys, sounds like I'm on the right track with soem adjustment.

Aren't these forums what the net is all about? Instant sharing of info! It rocks!

I'm not the best shifter I discoverd... I thought my quick and jerky was caused by my 1986 bike... turns out it was me! My new one feels the same so my technique needs refined.
smile.gif
I can shift clutchless great though. I'd read others were having the 5-6 N issue too and the fact it happened so many times... eh, I just need to work harder technique and maybe it will be gone after 600 mi.

Thanks for taking the time and sharing your experiences, guys!!!

Yer gonna get a bunch of different responses on the breakin' in question . Some do it hard . some soft . some like there yokes runny . When all else fails , common sense . Dont worry too much about the revin' thing , most break-in procedures just dont want you travelling hundreds of clicks at a constant rpm , you know , like buying yer bike an ' heading cross country on it . Althou , people do it .
My feeling: you've got metal 2 metal everywhere in a motor . If sumfin is fugged at the factory,it's probably gonna let ya know in a hurry . I'm a firm believer in this...one of the most critical things on a high performance bike is it's HIGH compression ratio . If you want this ratio to remain high from the factory ,till your "After break-in" use , I'd be a little on the heavy handed side with it . Babying it too much , wont give you the piston ring seal that we all want . That seal is the most important break-in thing....in my opinion . Sure...we dont want this bearing here,an' this bearing there to glaze up,an' we dont want to put too much pressure on this gear,or that....but I think we do .
The factories have got to tell you to take it easy .
The manual cant read...." Go out an' run the ever-lovin fug outa 'dis motor" . It just cant .
Anyways....welcome to the jungle....the board...the Busa.
Have a good one . I like to give some of the dudes nick names based on their usernames....yers... kinda easy , I think I'll call ya WD40 . Later man....have a good 1 .

Heh, This is what I want in my Owners Manual...Permission to flog...

CAUTION: TO ENSURE PROPER RING SEALING YOU MUST RUN THE TITS OFF THE GSX1300R FOR THE FIRST 500 MILES. ENCLOSED YOU WILL FIND A FEW GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARDS. NOW GET OUT THERE AND TWIST THE JELLY OUT OF YOUR NEW GSX1300R.
Sincerly,
SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION

Heh, This is what I want in my Owners Manual...Permission to flog...

CAUTION: TO ENSURE PROPER RING SEALING YOU MUST RUN THE TITS OFF THE GSX1300R FOR THE FIRST 500 MILES.  ENCLOSED YOU WILL FIND A FEW GET OUT OF JAIL FREE CARDS.  NOW GET OUT THERE AND TWIST THE JELLY OUT OF YOUR NEW GSX1300R.
       Sincerly,
                SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION
WD40 ma' man ....Pay no attention to Rev-Tech...Rev-limiter..REVLON....ya....REVLON....I like that the best .
Anyway...pay No attention to him...he does WAY,WAY,WAY too much crack . 'Course...it's the kind of crack inside a pair of girls Levi's 501's .
drooling3.gif

PERVERT.

You guys are nuts. I like that in crazy people.
smile.gif

I'm getting on it alot but keeping under my RPMs and am comfortable with that theory. It's under warrenty. HA!
biggrin.gif

I'm gonna get pulled over: speeding to 10 over, dropping to 10 under, and swearving to scuff the tires. rinse and repeat - all that HAS to look odd from others perspectives. I can't wait until break in is done - couple weeks I hope.

Back