myrtle west?? swingarms,,LOL

BillD

Registered
some of you guys know I now have an 06 busa with a Myrtle West swingarm
the swingarm itself is somewhat ok, however as you can see from this picture, the bolts hanging off the back, are well, fugly,,, to say the least,
so I called them on the phone to ask them if there is something that can be done, and they put someone on the phone that sounded like they were retarded. and basically said , thats the way it is.. Just wanted to pass that along to you guys, just in case ,
I am working on something to make those bolts and nuts look a little better, and funny how they cant do that,
I mean it really looks bad
the second pic is something Im working on,, looks a little better,

IMG00148-20090811-1815.jpg

IMG_0606.jpg

Last edited:
humm wonder why they dont run that in front of the axel block, instead of it running out the rear, strange...???

I saw a picture the other day of one like that and was thinking :wtf:

What you have done looks 1000 times better.

:poke:I know, its like the worse of all the options, and its not a cheap swingarm kit, I think it retails for over 600 bucks,, but wait, that may be cheap, considering its a motorcycle,,lol

you know qryche,, you have a point there,,,???? mmm interesting:poke: I may have to look at that, maybe the knucklehead that did it, installed it wrong

Looks wrong to me too. I think that qyrch has it right and the bolts go before the block, but in reality I have no clue just seems to make sense and I googled it and it looks that way too.

so is the bolt pullling the adjustment..cause that seems a bit hard on the threads as opposed to pushing with a bolt head as the stop

I think it is right, Why else would there be a Threaded Hole at the end of the Swingarm, Im not saying thats the way it should be but it appears as though thats how they made it.

Its all correct. With arm that have a large room of adjustment 2-8 inches are like this. See it all the time on arms ment for major drag racing. Yes the threads pull the block back. I have even seen arms with the axle set all the way back and all 8 inches of bolt is sticking out the back??? Some of the arms ( dont know whos ) will have a long block with three diff holes for the axles location. That keeps this bolt from being so long.

Yea that is normal for any arm with 4" and up adjustments, if you wanted the bolt to push the blocks instead of pulling, you would have to swap bolts to extend the axle blocks past 4"

Yea that is normal for any arm with 4" and up adjustments, if you wanted the bolt to push the blocks instead of pulling, you would have to swap bolts to extend the axle blocks past 4"

Depending on how often you plan on changing the wheelbase, this may be an excellent option bill.

I have a 0-6in. swing arm from Spencer Cycle, and thats the way my arm is set up. Also seen the same set up on Mac and Velocity arms. As said before, when stretched over 4in. thats the best set up.:thumbsup: I have mine set at 4 over, I cut the bolts so they wouldn't stick out so far. If I ever decide to shorten my wheel base I can just buy some 7/16ths threaded rod and install it. But I love it sitting at 4 over, I think thats the way it should've come from the factory.

Last edited:
thanks guys that info really helps. I guess Ill just live with it. Im a more show than go kind of rider. I do have my moments but dragging is not what Im into(although I have to admit I really enjoy smokin the occassional competitor) , I guess I can swap those out for some shorter rods and cap em with the cap nut, and just save the hardware in case of a change. Just thought for that kinda caah Myrtle would have wanted them to look a little better.

Last edited:
mine is like that also, i cut the bolts shorter, once you have it where you want it lenght wise you can cut a considerable amount off because your adjusting for the chain wont take that much threaded rod.

Back