My youngest went solo today

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Well my youngest son is 5 and has been riding for about 3 months now and he wanted to try without training wheels. He went around the yard about 6 times, never crashed but was a little scared. I didnt make him keep going but told him we would practice again tomorrow. He only rode about 10 minutes and never fell over but I think he was nervous about it all... Just wanted to share.

Cap

nowheels.gif

You can see those wheels turning...
I'm gonna jump that thing, and then that, and  then that.
Good job Cap, start them out young and make em wear the gear...
biggrin.gif

That's awesome Doug! Sam, my 5 year old, just mastered riding a bicycle without training wheels, so of course the impatient 3 year old, David, waits a week after that and he too is without training wheels...

Tomorrow's Dave's 4th birthday; new 50 cc Honda dirt bike is all fixed up with training wheels, but I just know the first thing he'll say when he gets it is "I don't want the training wheels!"

I give him a couple more months, and hopefully they'll both be where your son is now...that's just awesome...
cool.gif

That's awesome! My 4-1/2 yr old son learned to ride his bike a month ago without the training wheels.
Since then,I bought him the MX3 electric minibike.
He already stands up on the seat! (seat surfing)
I like that toy your son has.

We have gone very slow with him on purpose, teach him the right things like feet down and braking.... Notice his little fingers covering the brake
smile.gif
........ He knows how to use the front and rear brakes and we made it a huge game on learning how to stop.... I would have him go way out in the yard and when he was coming back I would jump out in front of him and put both hands out, laugh and yell STOP.... He would laugh and grab the brake and stop, however running over me every once in a while was way more fun than stopping..... Now when I wave him over to me he naturally grabs the brake and puts his feet down....... Its all about training the right things and making it fun.... It also helps to have a sibling that they can chase around... My oldest goes out in front and the little one chases him like hes going to win a race......

CAp

That's great!
smile.gif

You're training him the right way. Gear, stop before go, etc.

I bet you can't wait for the first time he starts asking about mod'ing his bike!
laugh.gif

cool.gif

Good teaching Boss. I love to see kids blasting around.Good on you for buying all that gear.

RSD.

Thats great news, good job on the riding lessons. Now all you have left to do is buy him a real bike and get him off the nasty Honda
biggrin.gif
oh wait I forgot you wanted him to go slow
tounge.gif

We have gone very slow with him on purpose, teach him the right things like feet down and braking.... Notice his little fingers covering the brake
smile.gif
........ He knows how to use the front and rear brakes and we made it a huge game on learning how to stop.... I would have him go way out in the yard and when he was coming back I would jump out in front of him and put both hands out, laugh and yell STOP.... He would laugh and grab the brake and stop, however running over me every once in a while was way more fun than stopping..... Now when I wave him over to me he naturally grabs the brake and puts his feet down....... Its all about training the right things and making it fun.... It also helps to have a sibling that they can chase around... My oldest goes out in front and the little one chases him like hes going to win a race......

CAp
sounds like a blast
face7.gif

Back