My wife didnt get it........

voodoolord

Registered
But my jaw was on the floor. The precision rocketry here is phenomenal. Almost speechless.

SpaceX's Grasshopper Startles Cows | Video - YouTube[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
damn thats very cool and hard to do...talk about controls!!!

Pretty cool. I wonder how close they were to expending all of the fuel onboard? In other words, it's great that you can take off and land like that but what good is it if you can't go anywhere first?

That's pretty cool, almost looks fake hovering there. As far as going somewhere first though, I'm sure launch rockets would be assisting.

Pretty cool. I wonder how close they were to expending all of the fuel onboard? In other words, it's great that you can take off and land like that but what good is it if you can't go anywhere first?

Technology advancements and ideas have to start somewhere. I thought it was a very impressive display of rocket control and opens doors for many more possibilities.

Im not a rocket scientist but I play one on tv, well I dont play one on tv either but I do know how complicated it is to control a rocket with that kind of precision in gravity. I guess it would be the same complication in no or low gravity but the amount of chem fuel needed to guide it back to the ground in the exact same spot is considerable. That just makes it more impressive in my opinion. Ive been interested in that aspect of science my whole life and have never seen that type of control with a rocket before. Glad you guys minus Chris liked it :laugh: By the way SpaceX is a private corporation and did this on their own with no government involvement that I know of. That in its self is pretty cool.

voodoolord said:
Im not a rocket scientist but I play one on tv, well I dont play one on tv either but I do know how complicated it is to control a rocket with that kind of precision in gravity. I guess it would be the same complication in no or low gravity but the amount of chem fuel needed to guide it back to the ground in the exact same spot is considerable. That just makes it more impressive in my opinion. Ive been interested in that aspect of science my whole life and have never seen that type of control with a rocket before. Glad you guys minus Chris liked it :laugh: By the way SpaceX is a private corporation and did this on their own with no government involvement that I know of. That in its self is pretty cool.

Not only private, but also started from what I remember by Elon Musk. Same guy who started PayPal and tesla motors.... Pretty amazing career.

Well if he started Tesla motors than I might have to reevaluate my no government involvement statement. Ill have to look into that. Either way it was impressive.

That's some CGI stuff there. I'm not believing a rocket is going up like that, change trajectory pitching up into a hover, and then set back down where it took off. Thought for sure it was going to do an end over end into terrain.

No CGI.
That Tony Stark……er, I mean, Elon Musk has a hand in a lot of high tech stuff. Just look at Tesla motors.
Damn do I wish I had bought stock a few years ago when I was asked to!
I remember when my ex boss went to work for them when they were a 30 man shop. They are huge now and the Iron man films are being shot in the Spacex facilities!

I Thought for sure it was going to do an end over end into terrain.

Thats exactly what I thought at first. When it stalled I thought it was going to blow, thats what makes it so Impressive. No CGI there just some kick ass rocket science.

its the potential that is incredible... so launch from one place and be able to travel at high speed only to set back down somewhere else... This control tech could be used for other applications like airplanes... Can you imagine putting a kidney or heart in one, sending it at Mach 3 to a hospital on the other side of the country and have it land on the helo port on the roof...

Cap

its the potential that is incredible... so launch from one place and be able to travel at high speed only to set back down somewhere else... This control tech could be used for other applications like airplanes... Can you imagine putting a kidney or heart in one, sending it at Mach 3 to a hospital on the other side of the country and have it land on the helo port on the roof...
Cap

We already have that type of control with airplanes and helicopters, its the fact that its a rocket that makes it impressive. The problem with using rocket tech in the way you mentioned is the wash from the chem engines. You would need large ports with enough space to dissipate the heat and gasses. I would like to know how much range that rocket has, from the looks not much. We need better propulsion systems to make your thoughts reality.

We already have that type of control with airplanes and helicopters, its the fact that its a rocket that makes it impressive. The problem with using rocket tech in the way you mentioned is the wash from the chem engines. You would need large ports with enough space to dissipate the heat and gasses. I would like to know how much range that rocket has, from the looks not much. We need better propulsion systems to make your thoughts reality.

In some cases we have that type of control... BUT we do not have the type of speed readily available.. It's all one step at a time..

Back